Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

Why is my Google weather saying its snowing in Cork when it just the usual rain not even sleet.
    because cork airport is circa 600ft above sea level and has had snow..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

K-9 wrote: »
    Fog here all evening.

NRA site is giving Killygordon -1.7, but Gweedore -5.4! :eek:
    It was -5 in the gap earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just checking in

Minus 5 c here which is the lowest I have ever seen it here. Bearing in mind I am 9 miles from the atlantic it is incredible. It is a winter wonderland outside. The drive home was treacherous on untreated roads but most national, primary and secondary routes are gritted in Clare.

The signs for next week are hugely primising in terms of cold weather and more widespread wintry activity. All the models point to a sever wintry spell from the start of next week. My father who remembers the 1962 spell says he hasn't seen a prolonged cold spell like this since then. Talk about a month of extremes - this time last month a lot of clare was under water.

Look out for elderly neighbors and the likes as the cold spell looks like sticking with us. If you can make sure they are stocked up with fuel and groceries etc.

Hope u r right!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Can i just say again that this is an extremely exciting thread - i am enjoying it immensely!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Pangea wrote: »
    It was -5 in the gap earlier

Innuendo overload.

• Advertisement

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Innuendo overload.
    :confused:?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

leahyl wrote: »
    Can i just say again that this is an extremely exciting thread - i am enjoying it immensely!:D

Well make yourself comfortable, it's only December! :D

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Have watching that just creep closer to Dublin.
    it will be passing over the m2 buoy where the temp is 6.7c so ye will be looking foward to cold light rain.
    Dublin is too close to the coast for snow at anything warmer than -1 dp's in this airmass.
    The proof of the pudding is wicklows experience today.
    That precip is connected tothe stuff we had earlier and all it does is drag warmer air with it to mix.
    You'd have to be well inland and very high to be lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all,

Followin these threads for days, in Meath (Ashbourne) hopin for snow and zilch to be honest we have had it not bad (if that is right term) at all heavy frost but nothing serious. rain this evening around 6 ish so roads are prob worst we have had. Cant see snow for us headin to south kerry tomorrow for Christmas out in the wilds loads of mountains so hopefully blizzards on 25th for a while anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Innuendo overload.

Think u. Better define the GAP better :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

just letting ye know all the snow we were waiting for actually landed in Clonmel today, snowed most of the evening. 2 inches around the outskirts on the dungarvan rd which is barely passable, took me nearly 2 hous to go from dungarvan to clonmel at 7 this evening a journey which normally takes 35 mins. looked amazing:)

irish1967 wrote: »
    Think u. Better define the GAP better :)
    Ok the gap where his brain is meant to be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

sandyford Temp moved from 0.2 to 2.5 in last 20 mins. Just as that light band of precip drifts east across Irish Sea. pure madness. is there any hope.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

rte 9 weather for those who missed it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1223/9news_av.html?2673818,null,230

Looks like a lot of the country will see some snow.:cool:

drifts west i mean....sick of looking at that damm radar:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

-3.5 here in Annagry, West Donegal. NRA has road temp at -5.4 in Gweedore. Beautiful clear & crisp night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

it will be passing over the m2 buoy where the temp is 6.7c so ye will be looking foward to cold light rain.
    Dublin is too close to the coast for snow at anything warmer than -1 dp's in this airmass.
    The proof of the pudding is wicklows experience today.
    That precip is connected tothe stuff we had earlier and all it does is drag warmer air with it to mix.
    You'd have to be well inland and very high to be lucky.

I know, I know, wishful thinking, but it is -0.6c here with a DP of -1.2c.

The road outside is a real icy mess with the rain having frozen on top of the frost!

inabina wrote: »
    sandyford Temp moved from 0.2 to 2.5 in last 20 mins. Just as that light band of precip drifts east across Irish Sea. pure madness. is there any hope.:rolleyes:
    Nope.
    Been there,done that already today with the same rain band..
    Actually wore the t-shirt too [well almost] when the temp headed for 6c

sorry i think evelyn way off the mark 2nite. that band coming in from the west will have alot more warm air than that front that developed off the south today. and we didnt get much snow out of that front today. or can i ask the experts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

caeser wrote: »
    just letting ye know all the snow we were waiting for actually landed in Clonmel today, snowed most of the evening. 2 inches around the outskirts on the dungarvan rd which is barely passable, took me nearly 2 hous to go from dungarvan to clonmel at 7 this evening a journey which normally takes 35 mins. looked amazing:)

Congrats on that, at least somebody from Waterford saw snow today ;)

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I know, I know, wishful thinking, but it is -0.6c here with a DP of -1.2c.

The road outside is a real icy mess with the rain having frozen on top of the frost!
    My theory is ye only had irish sea showers earlier and not the main rain band.
    The latter is only going to rise the temp for you.
    If you are at the lamb doyles end of sandyford ,you've some slight hope if your temp actually stayed the way it is but it probably won't.
    even the lamb doyles end of town is a bulls eye right now for that lovely lovely salty mild m2 buoy breeze when the precip carts it in.

lashing rain here right now btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

inabina wrote: »
    sorry i think evelyn way off the mark 2nite. that band coming in from the west will have alot more warm air than that front that developed off the south today. and we didnt get much snow out of that front today. or can i ask the experts?

yes but unlike today the front will be travelling a greater distance over extremely cold land surfaces with snow fields thrown in for good mesaure too, so the warm air will be modified somewhat for a time inland. also bear in mind the wind track.
    so ulster should definitely see snow and possibly the north midlands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

it started snowing here bout 3 hrs ago still falling fast, Bolton

and it looks like yis got some of what we got yesterday so I hope yis will get this tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Could do with another snow fall in North Tipperary . . . not much chance of that happening tonight though it would seem!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    rte 9 weather for those who missed it

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1223/9news_av.html?2673818,null,230

Looks like a lot of the country will see some snow.:cool:

WOOHOO!Sounds great!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Some NRA temps at 2300
    Elphin -8.3C
    Longford -7.7C
    Collooney Bypass -6.7C
    Monaghan -6.6C
    Tuam -6.5C
    The above are not standard exposure so are not official temperatures, but that doesn't make it any less cold!!

Meamwhile in Costa del Wicklow it's ++++6C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Finally a drop in temps here in Waterford City, was 1.4c for most of today but its dropped to 0.9c now. Checked outside and sure enough can see stars so if it freezes the roads will be like glass in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The driveways in Sandyford are lethal! You can slide 10m without issue on some. Pure black ice.
    I'm amazed to see that part of the country is actually reporting -8 degrees C.
    N61 Elphin and N4 Longford. Shocking.
    http://www.irelandsweather.com/index.php

forgive me folks but i need to know 1) where you get a machine that tells me dew point and 2) what DP do i need to get snow...? and in combination with what temp? e.g. can i get snow with temp of 2.0 and DP of 0? sandyford now 2.5. 1km from lamb doyles. disaster.:o

• Advertisement

so basically the only snow from this band today [bar a few minutes here and there at the start on high ground which turned to rain] has been in a sma;; pcket of tipperary and parts of north cork and around cork airport on high ground.
    Not too terribly impressive..
    I'm off to me pit.
    Lets hope theres a decent effort from the front Xmas morning for some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement