Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭Flecktarn

Is there snow expected anywhere in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

we have some way to go to beat the lowest recorded temps in Ireland

"The lowest air temperature was -19.1°C measured at Markree Castle, Co. Sligo on 16th January 1881 while the lowest observed 20th century air temperature was -18.8°C recorded at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979. The lowest observed grass minimum temperature was -19.6°C at Dublin (Glasnevin) on 12th January 1982 which was almost matched by the -19.5°C measured at Lullymore, Co. Kildare on 2nd January 1979."

my fridge freezer is recording minus 20 at the moment. technically a new record :)

inabina wrote: »
    forgive me folks but i need to know 1) where you get a machine that tells me dew point and 2) what DP do i need to get snow...? and in combination with what temp? e.g. can i get snow with temp of 2.0 and DP of 0? sandyford now 2.5. 1km from lamb doyles. disaster.:o
    long story but below zero dew points usually do the biz except in atlantic muck like we have now where by,you need to be well inland.

You can get a cheap weather station from for example www.ukweathershop.co.uk which when set up properly will do all manner of sexy weather things for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Evening all :D

Only getting to check in now and there is an additional 33 pages since i was here last!!!!!:eek: What have i missed!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: typical!

Can someone give me a very quick lowdown on what we are to expect tonight or tomorrow? I'm in North Co. Leitrim and is pretty cold here tonight too, lots of stars to be seen which makes a huge change from the freezing fog that we had all day!!! not one flake, drop, hail etc here all day. :(

how are we all feeling tonight anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭inabina

A bit depressed. this damm front off the east coast is just a teaser. then it just wants to dump water on us when it feels like visiting us. :mad:

• Advertisement

inabina wrote: »
    A bit depressed. this damm front off the east coast is just a teaser. then it just wants to dump water on us when it feels like visiting us. :mad:

Oh now, so the low didn't turn out to be polar after all!! just another watering can!! ah shucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mothman wrote: »
    Some NRA temps at 2300
    Elphin -8.3C

interesting.
    Elphin has also recorded some of the highest summer temperatures recorded in recent years. although you'll know more about that than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Being lashing in Waterford all day - even some flooding in some parts of the city.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

eskimocat wrote: »
    Oh now, so the low didn't turn out to be polar after all!! just another watering can!! ah shucks :(

Is the Polar low not on next weeks FI chart ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Amazing the range is temps tonight we have -8.3c in Elphin and +5.8c in Bray Thats nearly 14c difference :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Coldest night yet here in Galway City -4.4C
    Google says I'm 700m from the sea and 16m up plus whatever two floors add.

Is the Polar low not on next weeks FI chart ?

Haven't the foggiest (boom boom;)) Sorry strictly amateur here! best I can do is read the forums, and sometime that stuff doesn't stick!! so you could be bang on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

A very dense and penetrating fog outside. Feck me it is cold out there! :D I am not complaining mind, the fog is turning the whole world a magical white! :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

lowest met eirean weather station is claremorris with -6 and it isn't even midnight.

-3 here in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

The frost has not gone away here in 3 days. The roads in the estates are mad. Still very cold outside -2 here now.

A very dense and penetrating fog outside. Feck me it is cold out there! :D I am not complaining mind, the fog is turning the whole world a magical white! :):):):)

It's closed in now in the city too. Although it seems to be more of a freezing drizzle with big droplets blowing around

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just checking in

Minus 5 c here which is the lowest I have ever seen it here. Bearing in mind I am 9 miles from the atlantic it is incredible. It is a winter wonderland outside. The drive home was treacherous on untreated roads but most national, primary and secondary routes are gritted in Clare.

The signs for next week are hugely primising in terms of cold weather and more widespread wintry activity. All the models point to a sever wintry spell from the start of next week. My father who remembers the 1962 spell says he hasn't seen a prolonged cold spell like this since then. Talk about a month of extremes - this time last month a lot of clare was under water.

Look out for elderly neighbors and the likes as the cold spell looks like sticking with us. If you can make sure they are stocked up with fuel and groceries etc.

That is mad. Wonder when there was such extremes of weather?
    Pangea wrote:
    The Gap was -5

Probably normal enough for there during cold spells. No doubt it has fog too!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

-6.5 N17 Tuam. Nice.

It's hovering around 0 here. Meh.

dloob wrote: »
    It's closed in now in the city too. Although it seems to be more of a freezing drizzle with big droplets blowing around

Hi Dloob, yep, the fog seems to make it feel much colder. Great thing about it though is that if freezes on impact on all surfaces so hopefully you'll wake up to a white Christmas Eve morning, even if it is only frost (but often a lot nicer than snow IMO :o)

Rougies wrote: »
    -6.5 N17 Tuam. Nice.

It's hovering around 0 here. Meh.

I have only -4.8c here, although that is not my "official" Davis reading which no doubt is recording lower temps as it is far more exposed than here in inner city Tuam :D:D

Lets hope the next cold blast will make it's present felt across more of Ireland because like yourself, snow was in very short supply here during this one. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Hmm, seems there are two different met eireanns giving weather forecasts on tv.

Big downgrade in min temps on the met eireann tv forecast before midnight, Evelyns -8 gone and now only expecting -5:confused: but we know its colder than that already in places. Also had min of -8 for Scotland, but just a few minutes before the ITV forecast for Scotland showed -16. Also noticed the 2FM radio forecast at 2pm mentioned lows of -8, then at 5pm mentioning only -5.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok. I would like order a one hour thaw tomorrow at 1 pm. Hill to and from house has been undriveable since Sunday and I am running out of beer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I have only -4.8c here, although that is not my "official" Davis reading which no doubt is recording lower temps as it is far more exposed than here in inner city Tuam :D:D

Lets hope the next cold blast will make it's present felt across more of Ireland because like yourself, snow was in very short supply here during this one. :o

with the conditions being as they are i feel really sorry for anyone trying to get out of tuam tonight as fast as they can:pac:

meanwhile on this thing:http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Tuam/

it gives - 4 for Choom

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok. I would like order a one hour thaw tomorrow at 1 pm. Hill to and from house has been undriveable since Sunday and I am running out of beer!!

I can see how that could become an issue, especially at this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nearly slipped on ice 3 times walking 100m to my house from the bus stop. It's not that cold, but the paths are lethal...

(Dublin 24)

with the conditions being as they are i feel really sorry for anyone trying to get out of tuam tonight as fast as they can:pac:

meanwhile on this thing:http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Tuam/

it gives - 4 for Choom

Nacho, come on, you love us shams really! :p. yr.no has been spot on really, although it is just touching on -5c here now. How is thy own temp doing up there at the mo?

Hi Dloob, yep, the fog seems to make it feel much colder. Great thing about it though is that if freezes on impact on all surfaces so hopefully you'll wake up to a white Christmas Eve morning, even if it is only frost (but often a lot nicer than snow IMO :o)

It's already gone white out there, the car park is suddenly filled with white cars :pac:
    Although since the fog arrived the temperature has climbed a little from -4.4 to -3.8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Nearly slipped on ice 3 times walking 100m to my house from the bus stop. It's not that cold, but the paths are lethal...

(Dublin 24)

Lethal eh? Sounds like a challenge. I'm gonna take the dog for a walk. I'm just over the border from you in Dublin 16 (the good side of the m50) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »

Anybody deliver from the town? They could stand at the top and slide them down. Desperate times!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

unreal cold, have not seen the like in a long time the feckin dog aborted after a half lap!! ran up to house door, galway has to be at least -4 -6 tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement