Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Nacho, come on, you love us shams really! :p. yr.no has been spot on really, although it is just touching on -5c here now. How is thy own temp doing up there at the mo?

LOL would you trust yr.no thing when it thinks Dublin castle is in Jamaica :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nacho, come on, you love us shams really! :p. yr.no has been spot on really, although it is just touching on -5c here now. How is thy own temp doing up there at the mo?

-4.7C here.

if yr.no is to be believed it's not going to get really milder at all on christmas day(at least not here) they are showing a temperature of only 2 degrees from 12- 6 pm on friday that can't be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm no expert but looking at the charts it looks very very cold around new years does it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

mad DIY wrote: »
    LOL would you trust yr.no thing when it thinks Dublin castle is in Jamaica :D

Probably not! :D Balmy Caribbean breeze in Dublin? I have yet to experience that! :p

-4.7C here.

if yr.no is to be believed it's not going to get really milder at all on christmas day(at least not here) they are showing a temperature of only 2 degrees from 12- 6 pm on friday that can't be right.

I can't say Nacho, although it has me down for mostly rain and milder temps on Christmas Eve. :confused:

Edit, sorry, I meant Christmas Day:

meteogram.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Sub zero in Dublin Christmas morning according to yr.no. No snow but very cold - a frosty white Christmas at least, and most importantly, no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

-7 in Claremorris. still -3 here.

Evelyn, I want me bleedin snow..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

No snow hitting Dublin no :(.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

have faith that the new year will bring us some snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

NRA website showing N4 Coollooney Bypass and N4 Longford as -8.0C and -8.1C... fair cold. Thick fog in Galway city for the past 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Decidedly damp here in North Dublin. No frost on cars but some slippery ice remains on the roads/paths in the estates, nothing out of the ordinary or the main roads though. Strange, as the temp at the airport 4 miles away is the same as last night :P

EIDW TAF gives very slight hope though:

EIDW 232300Z 2400/2424 01008KT 9999 FEW015 SCT030 TEMPO 2400/2418 -SHRASN -SHRA SCT008 SCT018CB

-SHRASN meaning light showers of sleet, -SHRA meaning light rain. Unfortunately its a downgrade from -SHRASN -SHRA -SHSN earlier.

Full decoding: The report was made 3 hours and 31 minutes ago, at 23:00 UTC
    Forecast valid from 24 at 00 UTC to 24 at 24 UTC
    Wind 08 kt from north
    Visibility greater than 10 km
    Few clouds at a height of 1500 ft
    Scattered clouds at a height of 3000 ft
    Temporary
    from 24 at 00 UTC to 24 at 18 UTC
    Scattered clouds at a height of 800 ft
    Scattered clouds at a height of 1800 ft , Cumulonimbus.
    light rain showers snow and light rain showers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

MET EIREANN
    Issued at 24 December 2009 - 01:30

Snow Warning

Frost and patches of freezing fog will persist in many areas today leading to hazardous driving conditions. Wintry showers in coastal counties of the east and southeast will give a covering of a few centimetres of snow in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭steamjetjoe

redsunset wrote: »
    MET EIREANN
    Issued at 24 December 2009 - 01:30

Snow Warning

Frost and patches of freezing fog will persist in many areas today leading to hazardous driving conditions. Wintry showers in coastal counties of the east and southeast will give a covering of a few centimetres of snow in places.

JOY:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

They seem fairly certain by saying WILL GIVE A COVERING.

However i wouldn't get too excited about it.
    The Low moves into the irish sea so will throw in showers alright but in what form?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭knoximus

post by sdonn,,,
    Scattered clouds at a height of 1800 ft , Cumulonimbus.

Correct me if im wrong, but isnt Cumulonimbus the cloud formation of a fully developed thunderstorm? I think u mean/or they, cumulous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just drove home from Dublin to newbridge (was working) and the n7 looked and felt very glassy and there was patches of freezing fog , temp dipped to 0c around J3, -1 at about J6, and -2 from J9, dipping to -3 in the freezing fog patches.( all temp from jeeps measure on dash)

I took my time heading home , some clown tore by me just after Nass in freezing fog doing at least 140kmh , I was only doing 70-80 myself but I just would not risk it on the roads with how bad they have been lately .

Drove in the backend of newbridge and from from what I could see with the headlights the curragh looked amazing covered in a hard white frost. I reckon it will be some site out there in the morning .

When I got home and was walking into the house the ground was thick with frost , real thick and crunchy frost , there must of been a tiny bit of rain cause the ground looked like it had snow all over it, but it was just the frozen rain.

Anyway temp now is -2.5 and -3.6,

goodnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Good morning.

Woken here by the cold to frozen taps, so time to change to the great bathroom with the starry ceiling and at present the three inch thick snow floor. Thankfully there are no neighbours.

All the part melted snow has frozen solid again, so the car is covered with snow and clear ice.

And the lying snow is also undiminished. Frozen solid.

Almost out of fuel and the roads are not good.

The house is bitterly cold now.

The motto is.. please take care what you wish for!!! It might be more than you bargained for. A lot more...

And please, look out for neighbours now.

What next up here? No idea...... I am new here of course so know no-one

Stay safe and warm out there.... May not be back now so HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!

And above all, enjoy all that you have and whatever comes, revel in it! Snow, rain, ice, fog, clear weather!

And many, many thanks for all the glorious photos; they are a joy and a delight. Wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Overnight mins to 6am
    Claremorris -8.3C
    Ballyhaise -6.8C

6am NRA stations, non standard exposure so not comparing like for like, but still real temperatures!
    Longford -9.3C
    Collooney Bypass -9.1C
    Charlestown -9.1C

Ashford overnight min +4.3C ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

was hoping for minus double figures here this morning, but currently -8.2c and dropped a little since i awoke, usually around sunrise it peaks. Perhaps tonight we may get close again 2 double figures before the rain comes? when the rain comes the roads will be sheet ice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

-5 here in Quin. Hard Frost everywhere. Begining to get bored with it now.........

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

snaps wrote: »
    was hoping for minus double figures here this morning, but currently -8.2c and dropped a little since i awoke, usually around sunrise it peaks. Perhaps tonight we may get close again 2 double figures before the rain comes? when the rain comes the roads will be sheet ice?

According to the 9 o'clock forecast last night, we're due to get some snow tomorrow morning before the rain comes, and yr.no has Loughrea, where I am, down for some snow then too. The little 4 day box that comes up at the end of the forecast also had snow for the 27th as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

wow its cold here -11.2c and we are the second coldest place in the uk currently wasnt expecting that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

owenc wrote: »
    wow its cold here -11.2c and we are the second coldest place in the uk currently wasnt expecting that!
    How do you conclude that?
    There are a few places in Scotland reporting lower.

Also what are you using for your readings?

Mothman wrote: »
    How do you conclude that?
    There are a few places in Scotland reporting lower.

Also what are you using for your readings?

erm well its foggy in eglinton about 20 miles away and they are -8c .... here there is hoar frost and the frost is about 3cm think here just to tell you...... im doing my readings with a thermometer obiously but it is about 1m high aswell as this i use my car to get accurate readings and it said -4c in eglinton last night and it was that in eglinton airport and when i got back here it was -7c so it is also very accurate... btw we are far out in the country and alot higher than them i'd say they wouldve got to -10c if they were not in fog...

Frosty morning here. Current temp in my backyard -6.9c. Can't wait to see what my Davis has recorded! :)

erm well its foggy in eglinton about 20 miles away and they are -8c .... here there is hoar frost and the frost is about 3cm think here just to tell you...... im doing my readings with a thermometer obiously but it is about 1m high aswell as this i use my car to get accurate readings and it said -4c in eglinton last night and it was that in eglinton airport and when i got back here it was -7c so it is also very accurate... btw we are far out in the country and alot higher than them i'd say they wouldve got to -10c if they were not in fog...

Altitude does not necessarily guarantee low temps Owen. Cold air will sink and pool in lower elevations over time.

Altitude does not necessarily guarantee low temps Owen. Cold air will sink and pool in lower elevations over time.

well you can ask a few users in ni later on to see what they recorded and im sure some of them will have recorded at least -9c.... so its clear i shouldve reached something like this.....

well you can ask a few users in ni later on to see what they recorded and im sure some of them will have recorded at least -9c.... so its clear i shouldve reached something like this.....

I don't doubt your reading for a second! Certainly looks cold up there in the north.

• Advertisement

I don't doubt your reading for a second! Certainly looks cold up there in the north.

well if you look on nw quite alot of people up there have reached over -12c!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement