Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Rain rain or sleety rain?

It was just rain. I was amazed that there wasn't some sleet or hail in it because it felt really. I have a thermo in the garden and its currently showing 0.2c.

The rain has frozen onto the pavement which is now like a sheet of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Odd, the latest GFS is refusing to let go of the cold over the XMas period. Maxes in the midlands of 1 to 2c throughout....
    Also has precip on the east coast for all of Xmas eve which is at odds with met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Leeside wrote: »
    It was just rain. I was amazed that there wasn't some sleet or hail in it because it felt really. I have a thermo in the garden and its currently showing 0.2c.

The rain has frozen onto the pavement which is now like a sheet of ice.

Oh god it's gonna be bad out there this evening.....i'm finishing work early so hopefully the roads will be alright...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

leahyl wrote: »
    well it seems dry where i am and i'm also on the southside:confused:!! It was misty for a while/VERY light rain but it seems to be gone - although i may be mistaken cos the windows in my office are sort of built into the building if you know what i mean so i can't put my hand out and feel for rain! But it doesn't LOOK like it's raining!

I'm in the East Southside:) Cork is a big place. Obviously the rain is localised. It only lasted about 3 or 4 mins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

i think -12c is possible somewhere tonight and maybe-9 or 10c here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Leeside wrote: »
    I'm in the East Southside:) Cork is a big place. Obviously the rain is localised. It only lasted about 3 or 4 mins.

yes very localised by the sounds of it:) Ya it was raining earlier like i said but it seems to have stopped now again. Just foggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

TomTom wrote: »
    Typical, wife just rang, we are out of heating oil, not sure how I let this slip. And the oil company might have difficulty with delivery due to the roads around where we live.

Looks like some trees might be falling in Offaly this evening to keep my house warm.

Oh you poor pet - That happened us 4pm on Christmas eve last year - they couldnt deliver until the following week . OMG - we froze so im warning you in advance borrow every heater you can. It shocking how cold the house gets when heating is off even just for a short while & especially in these temps.We had bought his mum a new flame effect fire thingy for christmas so we " borrowed" the gift back lol but christ was it cold !Luckily we were in mums for santy & the kiddies were gone to their dads for a week so they didnt suffer... This year I got a half in may & rang them in Nov & asked to fill it up - 580lt filled it so not a chance me running out ...TG

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I have a back boiler on the stove in the kitchen so that shall be running over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Just back from a mammoth walk which took me out to the countryside. Set off just before dawn and never in my life have I witnessed such a beautiful morning. Absolutely every thing is white! such is the harshness of the frost. The temp when I left was only -2.4c but now it is -3.7c! :):):). Surprisingly, it does not feel cold out there at all.

God it is great to be alive!*

*sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emac82

leahyl wrote: »
    yes very localised by the sounds of it:) Ya it was raining earlier like i said but it seems to have stopped now again. Just foggy

Still raining here in bandon! And of course still freezing when it hits the ground! Fingers crossed by the time it reaches ye it will turn to white stuff.

• Advertisement

Just back from a mammoth walk which took me out to the countryside. Set off just before dawn and never in my life have I witnessed such a beautiful morning. Absolutely every thing is white! such is the harshness of the frost. The temp when I left was only -2.4c but now it is -3.7c! :):):). Surprisingly, it does not feel cold out there at all.

*sometimes...

that happened here two but everything is melting at -4c dont know how but it is that always happens here!:mad: oh well cold night ahead yay!

id say temp will be on its way up now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Drumster

Yeah its raining here in clonakilty here too..

Hoping it might turn to snow later tonight

Like everyone is saying with the rain failing outside its turn stright to ice..

People slipping all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

emac82 wrote: »
    Still raining here in bandon! And of course still freezing when it hits the ground! Fingers crossed by the time it reaches ye it will turn to white stuff.

Are the roads bad in Bandon, I live over in Newcestown and had to go and rescue my wife as she nearly had an accident and got a fright?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 emac82

techie wrote: »
    Are the roads bad in Bandon, I live over in Newcestown and had to go and rescue my wife as she nearly had an accident and got a fright?

They were very bad at 8 this morn! Might have thawed a bit by now hopefully. Just sheet ice all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS FI gives us a serious northerly to start the new year....

Rtavn2161.png

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

emac82 wrote: »
    They were very bad at 8 this morn! Might have thawed a bit by now hopefully. Just sheet ice all over the place.

Ok will leave it til lunchtime before trying to go again so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Drumster

techie wrote: »

I hear there pretty bad alright.. Lot of the guys here travel from cork. Old Chapel , bandon, Innishannon are meant to be really bad!!

Be careful out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    that happened here two but everything is melting at -4c dont know how but it is that always happens here!:mad: oh well cold night ahead yay!

id say temp will be on its way up now though.

I noticed that to Owen. There is a small bit of melt on surfaces that the sun is directly shinning on alright which is only natural even in the coldest conditions, but very little so far. I can't wait to cheak my Davis Pro reading (I am away from it at the moment) but I reckon it is reading close to -5c at the moment. Superb weather without a doubt.

Yes, better than the alternative!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jenzz wrote: »
    Oh you poor pet - That happened us 4pm on Christmas eve last year - they couldnt deliver until the following week . OMG - we froze so im warning you in advance borrow every heater you can. It shocking how cold the house gets when heating is off even just for a short while & especially in these temps.We had bought his mum a new flame effect fire thingy for christmas so we " borrowed" the gift back lol but christ was it cold !Luckily we were in mums for santy & the kiddies were gone to their dads for a week so they didnt suffer... This year I got a half in may & rang them in Nov & asked to fill it up - 580lt filled it so not a chance me running out ...TG

Was just about to go for a shower there and said I would throw the heating on !

Its bloody broken , I wouldnt mind but I only bought the house 16 months ago !

Dont suppose anyone knows what a burner ionisition prob or gas flow is (Red flashing LED over them)?
    I think a plumber lives across the road from me :)

Temp in Newbridge is -2.3 and dp -3.2 , there is a cold mist rising off the wooden fences outside !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That chart maquiladora posted has Polar Low written all over it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

Very bad this morning on the east coast the ice was so thick it looked like snow took 20 mins to get to the train station usually a 4 min drive had to stop car twice to scrap ice off windscreen

I noticed that to Owen. There is a small bit of melt on surfaces that the sun is directly shinning on alright which is only natural even in the coldest conditions, but very little so far. I can't wait to cheak my Davis Pro reading (I am away from it at the moment) but I reckon it is reading close to -5c at the moment. Superb weather without a doubt.

ya but how can that happen at such cold condition... does this mean snow melts at -30c in winnipeg!:D

My personal favourite (t+168):

Rtavn1681.png

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Relocated from Cork to Myshall Co. Carlow just at the foot of mount Leinster for Christmas. Hoping to see some snow today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Was just about to go for a shower there and said I would throw the heating on !

Its bloody broken , I wouldnt mind but I only bought the house 16 months ago !

Dont suppose anyone knows what a burner ionisition prob or gas flow is (Red flashing LED over them)?
    I think a plumber lives across the road from me :)

Temp in Newbridge is -2.3 and dp -3.2 , there is a cold mist rising off the wooden fences outside !

Why is it always this time of year things break. Mam had her washing machine 18 years.. Christmas eve 4 years ago - broke - down to powercity new one. Christmas eve 2 years ago that one broke - down to powercity new one - This year she has decided no washing going on christmas eve lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

irish1967 wrote: »
    As long as I get to see the special at 6pm on BBC1 Christmas day I don't care where I am !! THE MASTER IS BACK !!:D
    Ah dont worry we will post you a turkey sambo :D:D Id be more worried about Santa getting there ...

I think 6 O'Clock Christmas Day is more anticipated than Christmas morning here!

Looks good from the trailers I've seen.

Still freezing here and looks like we could get some more snow on Christmas Day.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

-1.9c here now with a full cloud overhang.
    Clear skies to the north
    Dewpoint is -2.4 so is continuing to be 0.5c below air temp.

Another degree or so rise and the precip will be rain when it gets here.

If the breeze is off the sea on arrival,it's curtains.
    If it's land theres some hope.

arctictree wrote: »
    My personal favourite (t+168):

Rtavn1681.png
    You've got taste ! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why is it always this time of year things break. Mam had her washing machine 18 years.. Christmas eve 4 years ago - broke - down to powercity new one. Christmas eve 2 years ago that one broke - down to powercity new one - This year she has decided no washing going on christmas eve lol

Mams electric cooker went on Christmas day about 7/8 years ago. That was fun, not.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement