Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

My personal favourite..

Keep the faith :D

Rtavn241.png

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

Was just about to go for a shower there and said I would throw the heating on !

Its bloody broken , I wouldnt mind but I only bought the house 16 months ago !

Dont suppose anyone knows what a burner ionisition prob or gas flow is (Red flashing LED over them)?
    I think a plumber lives across the road from me :)

Temp in Newbridge is -2.3 and dp -3.2 , there is a cold mist rising off the wooden fences outside !

Check the gas valve is open and the pressure gauge is set at 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

just had a heavy hail shower here in wexford town. It's not melting, everywhere is white, so lovely looking just wish it was snow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Apparently its 3c at Dublin Airport?

Seems strange considering its still frozen over here with only melting in the sun..

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭flames

K-9 wrote: »
    Mams electric cooker went on Christmas day about 7/8 years ago. That was fun, not.

OMG if my cooker broke on christmas day i think i would just cry and the kids would lynch me,

Deep fried turkey anyone lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems strange considering its still frozen over here with only melting in the sun..

Saw that - maybe an aircraft landed on the met station? -1.2c here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

owenc wrote: »
    ya but how can that happen at such cold condition... does this mean snow melts at -30c in winnipeg!:D

Not really, but surfaces would be more likely have a thick covering of snow there which would reflect surface heating better than it would here in dear aul Ireland. The reason surface frost would melt in direct sunshine is because the sun is shinning directly on them. Does not necessarily reflect the air temperature at all, which warms a lot more slowly.

Anyways, I am keeping an eye on that weak band of rain forecast for Christmas morning. Latest HIRLAM has it encoutering some sub zero air over northern and central areas:

Christmas Morning Rain:

Corresponding temps:

(Green represents temps between 0c and minus 5c.)

Still very far out in forecasting terms and subject to much change but I like the trend so far...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

the thermometer is likely in the sun this happens alot here in eglinton about 25 miles away its apparently -0.5c and in ballykelly its -2.3c so i think the suns affecting that the theremometer is bad there!:mad: its -4c here so they are wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

The suns out here,but the fog seems to be following it about so theres not much heat from it,and its basically behind a mountain so the snow should last.Looked like there was a bit of snow last night.

Got outta bed early today,so I'll get outside now and get a few pics for yous all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Waterford is looking very very seasonal here, the sky is creaking here just dying to spill fluffy white specks on us !!!!

C'mon Waterford !!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

11:00, -3.6c here

C'mon the precip! Latest radar showing some light showers off the Wexford coast. Heading towards Arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

tempreture has fallen since daylight from -1 to -3

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

flames wrote: »
    Check the gas valve is open and the pressure gauge is set at 1.5

Cheers both are ok ,

Temp is -1.6

DP is - 2.7

tempreture has fallen since daylight from -1 to -3

looky you they rise dramatically here to 1c today maybe 3c even though its winter everywhere else manages to stay below 0c...... id say well get really low tonight if we stay below 0c today temp is -3c now!

joes girls wrote: »
    just had a heavy hail shower here in wexford town. It's not melting, everywhere is white, so lovely looking just wish it was snow!!!
    Thats actually a very very good sign!
    Glad to hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Latest HIRLAM has it encoutering some sub zero air over northern and central areas:

Maybe its just me but I cannot see the pics D.E.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That chart maquiladora posted has Polar Low written all over it:D

considering your a downplayer/realist that's a significant statement.

i would absolutely love it if we got a polar low!

meanwhile it's foggy here now and still -1c. the overnight low was - 4.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Maybe its just me but I cannot see the pics D.E.

I posted them up Maq via an "attachment". Oddly, I can't see them now either, same thing happened yesterday too when I posted up the same chats! :(.

Weathercheck, what is going on man?

Good news! New Weather Warning from Met Eireann :

Weather Warning

Issued at 23 December 2009 - 11:00

Frost and patches of freezing fog will persist locally inland today.
    Showers developing in southern and eastern counties are likely to fall as snow inland from the coast, with accumulations of 2 to 5 cm possible.

Valid from 11:00 hours Wednesday, 23-Dec-2009
    until 08:00 hours Thursday, 24-Dec-2009

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Hi DP, did same long walk with dog early this morning wonderful!, very very cold though;)

• Advertisement

can the temps rise massively from -4c to 2c today because apparently in eglinton its 0c so it rose 3c in an hour is it possible this sensor is heat resistant! lol cuz its -3c here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

leahyl wrote: »
    Thanks Black Briar you've given me more hope:) fingers crossed!

nat-today.gif

Just for you Leahyl!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=132329525812d4f05842d4a08987dfff5842d48b&dopsig=47a660f8346e0404a2f5072b10bb98e1

what a chart!!! blue- and not just light blue either! just look at where that air is coming from!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Thats actually a very very good sign!
    Glad to hear it!

Ok, im glad its a good sign, but why so???
    sky defo looks snowy, first time in days we have a cloudy sky!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Will we get snow here in Waterford City? I have a funny feeling we won't. What do the experts on here think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Good news! New Weather Warning from Met Eireann :

:D

Ah, 'accumulations', I love it! Not often do met.ie mention that word for the east!

BTW, I've had a very slight dusting of snow on some surfaces since Sunday morning. Does that count as snow lying at 9am, meteroligacally speaking?

If so, it looks like we may have many days with snow lying this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just taken the two dogs out in the field. Watching them creates laughter indeed.

A collie and a wee JRT/Bassett Cross.

There is a bright sun; warm and full.. and last night the top of the snow froze, so there is a sparkling crust.

And it is still several inches deep up here.

Wee dog goes through it up to her shoulders every time she tries to run; battles gamely on; she is in it up to her shoulders at every step.

Collie is easier; races and runs, then stops to eat snow.Ice cream time...

They are like children out there; full of life and fun.

Water dripping from trees where the sun hits; but bird food freezing as soon as it is put out in the shade.

Always the contrast.. and the mountains draped in cloud and mist, but sun and light on the snow lower down.

Warm then and utter beauty in the crystals and rainbow prisms gleaming everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

bloody cold here in mayo at 11am, -3.8c!

200motels wrote: »
    Will we get snow here in Waterford City? I have a funny feeling we won't. What do the experts on here think?

Might start off as rain and turn to sleet/snow later. Hard to know, 10 miles from the coast...better chances further inland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Graces7 wrote: »
    Just taken the two dogs out in the field. Watching them creates laughter indeed.

A collie and a wee JRT/Bassett Cross.

There is a bright sun; warm and full.. and last night the top of the snow froze, so there is a sparkling crust.

And it is still several inches deep up here.

Wee dog goes through it up to her shoulders every time she tries to run; battles gamely on; she is in it up to her shoulders at every step.

Collie is easier; races and runs, then stops to eat snow.Ice cream time...

They are like children out there; full of life and fun.

Water dripping from trees where the sun hits; but bird food freezing as soon as it is put out in the shade.

Always the contrast.. and the mountains draped in cloud and mist, but sun and light on the snow lower down.

Warm then and utter beauty in the crystals and rainbow prisms gleaming everywhere.

nice one! sounds lovely, walked dog this morning purebred German shepard 3 year old female, she was bounding about everywhere tail wagging etc, meanwhile im looking out on Conemara mountains and amazing sun, barr driving (nearly went arse over tit on road last night) this is a great time of the year:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement