Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

Very bright here in Dublin City Centre however I'm tracking that front moving up the coast.

It seems alot milder today despite all the lying frost on cars etc.

Not sure of the temp, but I think these showers may fall as rain if we dont get some more colder air over us in the next few hours.... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

nought and one percent.

So there is a chance!!!! - Dumb and Dumber

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

No change here,fog just got a little worse.

Some pics attached,the one with my hand in it is just showing the depth in places,its up to my wrist.Sorry about the quality,there were taken on my phone.

Enjoy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The chances of it were better yesterday and no a flake fell then. chances of it today are somewhere between nought and one percent.

Cheers Billy (sort of)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Please give to a snowless Trotter this Christmas...

All we ask is that you weather experts give just one good web link at this festive season to a website where poor Trotter can watch a regularly updated animated map which shows the cloud and likely precipitation over Waterford this Christmas eve eve... so that he can look out at frozen but dry as a bone garden, but live in hope that the link provided by you, the decent folk of the cold spell discussion, will fill him with joy this Christmas.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Kippure wrote: »
    Showers now forming in the irish sea and heading to the east coast.
    I've been watching these building for past hour. From the look of them they will dump quite a bit when they come onshore and it'll certainly not be rain and I think any snow will stick even fairly near coast.
    It is radar watch time

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Okay so we know it probably wont snow in Limerick today, the question is where will it be snowing?

Mothman wrote: »
    It is radar watch time

Share a link this Christmas Mothman! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

again can someone answer me max will be around -2c so when should we expect temps to drop off and how low should they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kopp

This was my car yesterday morning in wexford town.....it was very icy and COLD!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

owenc wrote: »
    again can someone answer me max will be around -2c so when should we expect temps to drop off and how low should they go?

They dropped about 3.45 in my location Yesterday , I presume most locations are going to be different,

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Coleraine~2652586/

-4 looks to be the lowest you will see from the above website , with a steady increase from about 4-5 am onwards

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

Getting very cloudy here at the moment..........I hope they contain snow:D

They dropped about 3.45 in my location Yesterday , I presume most locations are going to be different,

http://www.yr.no/place/United_Kingdom/Northern_Ireland/Coleraine~2652586/

-4 looks to be the lowest you will see from the above website , with a steady increase from about 4-5 am onwards

the meto says -8c is possible and if we have a max of -3/2c do you not think itll be colder.....

Lashing rain here in Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Its freezing here in Cavan. There is pretty bad visability too. Its going to be great fun driving home this evening :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

F&$£^&" typical - The vomiting bug has just entered the house... So im gonna go die & love yeas & leave yeas....

If it snows & im stuck with my head down the big white phone to the lord.....:mad:

Very dull here now.
    Sky completely cloudy.
    I can see a wall of precip inland to the southwest whatever it is...

Temp -0.7c
    DP -1.3c

jay28 wrote: »
    Getting very cloudy here at the moment..........I hope they contain snow:D
    An absolute cert for you as I'm still below zero but rising :(

Now -0.6c

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

owenc wrote: »
    the meto says -8c is possible and if we have a max of -3/2c do you not think itll be colder.....

I am no expert , Just going on what the readings are saying from that site, If the meto says -8 I would go with them

I am no expert , Just going on what the readings are saying from that site, It the meto says -8 I would go with them

ok thanks temps are around -2c here so maybe well stay around -1c but if i was to go around here we could get as high as around 0.4c or somthing stupid like that cannot wait to see how low we get tonight! propably only -5c...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

We got a small covering an hour or 2 ago in North Cork. The first shower in ages , the place is all white once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

That precip around waterford is really building up. Looks like South Kilkenny/Carlow are going to get a pasting!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Also in Cork, got a shower of rain 20 minutes ago, no snow yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Trotter wrote: »
    Share a link this Christmas Mothman! :)
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Is giving precipitation type at moment

So rain for Waterford as has been reported.
    The showers buliding further north not showing yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Mothman wrote: »
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
    Is giving precipitation type at moment

So rain for Waterford as has been reported.
    The showers buliding further north not showing yet

Moth - whats it like in Ashford ?? Anything brewing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Hello all

Hot off the press

Today
    Frost, ice and fog patches persisting in parts of the midlands, west and north this afternoon. Showers will affect southern and later eastern counties, falling as rain near coasts but turning to sleet and snow further inland in these areas. Highest temperatures 0 to 5 degrees Celsius, with no more than light breezes anywhere.

Tonight

Tonight, showers in southern counties will die out but eastern counties will see further showers, some falling as snow inland from the coast. Widespread severe ground frost and extensive freezing fog otherwise will lead to ice on untreated surfaces. Lowest temperatures 0 to -8 degrees Celsius, with little or no wind.

Tomorrow

Christmas Eve will see wintry showers in eastern coastal counties gradually dying out, although further wintry showers may appear along parts of the western seaboard. Elsewhere, with near calm conditions, frost and freezing fog will be slow to clear and may persist all day locally. Highest temperatures just -1 to 4 degrees Celsius.

Outlook

The cold icy weather will continue on Thursday night with frost fog and icy roads. It will get less cold during Christmas day and St Stephan's day with some rain at times but some snow is likely over Ulster for a time on Christmas day. Becoming colder again over the following few days.

Looks like the midlands are in for some fun,
    but Dublin is not looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Exactly; that was the kind of thing we were hearing too!

So we manage without.

There was a classic case here recently re a new estate in Bundoran where they installed them.

To live there you had to have a job etc.

They were getting bills of E6oo a month that they could not pay.

So if I sound ambivalent re the weather, it is simply because IT IS COLD IN HERE! I love the snow, but...
    jenzz wrote: »
    I remember between house builds we rented a house in Wex - with bloody storage heaters - 2 month bill was over a grand - From then on i choose cold thank you very much !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

damn why only snow over ulster on christmas day:mad:

anyway at least those mild weather adovcates have not got their wish:p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It sounds as lovely there as it is here.. Only been to Connemara once in the summer time.

Dogs are amazing; these are my first ever and both rescues.
    nice one! sounds lovely, walked dog this morning purebred German shepard 3 year old female, she was bounding about everywhere tail wagging etc, meanwhile im looking out on Conemara mountains and amazing sun, barr driving (nearly went arse over tit on road last night) this is a great time of the year:)

• Advertisement

damn why only snow over ulster on christmas day:mad:

anyway at least those mild weather adovcates have not got their wish:p

i doubt that highest temps will be 5c and thats on the south coast inland itll be 2c at best down south id like to think.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement