Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Steady light rain now, the hoar frost/ice gradually vanishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

jenzz wrote: »
    Moth - whats it like in Ashford ?? Anything brewing
    No still long way south and my temp has risen to 1C

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

Graces7 wrote: »
    Exactly; that was the kind of thing we were hearing too!

So we manage without.

There was a classic case here recently re a new estate in Bundoran where they installed them.

To live there you had to have a job etc.

They were getting bills of E6oo a month that they could not pay.

So if I sound ambivalent re the weather, it is simply because IT IS COLD IN HERE! I love the snow, but...

Yes, Its all very well to be hoping for snow and to be disappointed whenever there is a rise in temperatures but there are very many people who suffer a great deal when it starts to freeze. Many people just cant afford to keep heating on all day.

And still, I wish it would snow:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Realy realy cold here.
    Percip showing as rain on raintoday.co.uk......any idea why??? is it not cold enough to snow??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Leeside wrote: »
    Yes, Its all very well to be hoping for snow and to be disappointed whenever there is a rise in temperatures but there are very many people who suffer a great deal when it starts to freeze. Many people just cant afford to keep heating on all day.

well what do they do in canada its not that bad.....:D people here cannot cope with a few inches... like yesterday 4 cars were being towed then everyone turned back just because they seen 4 cars being lifted out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh NO; how dreadful.

Had that when I first came to Ireland.. spent days enthroned with a bucket in my hands.. no idea what had hit me until I saw a headline weeks later re "Winter Vomitng Bug"

Prayers...
    jenzz wrote: »
    F&$£^&" typical - The vomiting bug has just entered the house... So im gonna go die & love yeas & leave yeas....

If it snows & im stuck with my head down the big white phone to the lord.....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

We got a wood stove installed a few years ago in the kitchen. Its perfect for days like this. Leave the central heating off and just have the stove going. Heats up the whole back of the house and we can cook/boil water on it too.

Canada just now is warmer than here; and yes they are well used to it there. They enjoy the coming and they enjoy the going.

owenc wrote: »
    well what do they do in canada its not that bad.....:D people here cannot cope with a few inches... like yesterday 4 cars were being towed then everyone turned back just because they seen 4 cars being lifted out..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Raining here

Mothman wrote: »
    No still long way south and my temp has risen to 1C
    Almost at zero here now with full cloud cover.
    The relentless rise ensures rain for this location methinks :/

• Advertisement

Arrrgghh!! Are you serious? lol :eek:
    damn why only snow over ulster on christmas day:mad:

anyway at least those mild weather adovcates have not got their wish:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

Very cold here in West Cork. It was raining earlier on for a short while - a light cold rain!
    The sky is covered with clouds -the first time in ages. No snow....damn!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Canada just now is warmer than here; and yes they are well used to it there. They enjoy the coming and they enjoy the going.

erm no its -20c were my uncle is in winnipeg!:mad: spoilt! but no i would not like any colder than -30c oh no no no way! and with temps at -1c and on the rise it feels warm here in the winter sunshine because the heats so dry

Almost at zero here now with full cloud cover.
    The relentless rise ensures rain for this location methinks :/

The radar is showing precip at your location. Anything happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

An absolute cert for you as I'm still below zero but rising :(

Now -0.6c

a few drops of rain falling here now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

freezing fog and frost here roads unreal bad -2 deg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Arrrgghh!! Are you serious? lol :eek:

i'll concede i am a bit conflicted about it. what i enjoy is stressful for other people- particularly the elderly:o

i suppose it will be karma if i come to hate the cold, should i live into old age.

Iknow; yet still the beauty is there.. and so many far worse off. Imagine sleeping in the street in this.

And almost within living memory, the old and disabled ( and I am both) would be dumped in the workhouse.

So no real complaints here.. just for endurance now!

And that it eases enough to get down for fuel before the New Year. Or/and that someone blesses me with a few hours with a chain saw as there are fallen trees here:)

THAT would be wonderful.

The price of fuel has shot up this year; tiny bag of turf that would last a couple of hours is E3.

Dare I say it....Looks like precip is forming in the Irish sea and heading towards Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭francosp

I cant see any showers building up in the Irish sea, apart from the band moving up over Waterford at the moment.

Is there more percip to come from the East ?

By the way, its starting to cloud over a bit in Dublin CC

Edit: Just updated raintoday and now see a band of rain forming out to the East. It has it down as rain but hopefully when it hits land it forms as snow :D

Ooooh, getting excited now... :D

• Advertisement

Would love one of those; but dare not ask the landlord as he has had to replace both washingmachine and fridge since we came less than 2 months ago.

He nearly had a conniption then:)

He has one there in his house...I did hint but.....

The fireplace here is huge; so I have lessened it with concrete slabs and put a metal tray across the top so I can boil water there.
    arctictree wrote: »
    We got a wood stove installed a few years ago in the kitchen. Its perfect for days like this. Leave the central heating off and just have the stove going. Heats up the whole back of the house and we can cook/boil water on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

Yeah looks like it could be heavy, but rain me thinks :mad:

arctictree wrote: »
    The radar is showing precip at your location. Anything happening?
    Hailstones coming down thick and fast.
    air 0.1c
    dew -0.6c

francosp wrote: »
    I cant see any showers building up in the Irish sea, apart from the band moving up over Waterford at the moment.

Is there more percip to come from the East ?

By the way, its starting to cloud over a bit in Dublin CC

Edit: Just updated raintoday and now see a band of rain forming out to the East. It has it down as rain but hopefully when it hits land it forms as snow :D

Ooooh, getting excited now... :D

Look at the radar on met.ie : http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

Ahl I mean Vancouver... It is -30 in parts of Europe.

And there it is dry; Ireland is one great bog.. And no, it does not feel warm here EVER! NOT EVER!!!

owenc wrote: »
    erm no its -20c were my uncle is in winnipeg!:mad: spoilt! but no i would not like any colder than -30c oh no no no way! and with temps at -1c and on the rise it feels warm here in the winter sunshine because the heats so dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

What looked like a hail shower passed about 8 miles to my SW.
    Airtemp is dropping and is now +0.6C (was 1.2C) Dp below zero.
    Grass temp -2C and 5cm soil temp +0.2C

jay28 wrote: »
    a few drops of rain falling here now :(
    :eek::eek:
    But you're above 600ft more than 5 miles inland surrounded by hills.
    That shouldn't be happening up there.
    Patience.
    It's total hailstones here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Whats going on? Met eireann says 4c at Dublin airport, I make it around 1c and I'm about 3 miles from the airport? It's certainly not 4c where I am as there is absolutely no thaw in my back garden?
    Any other Dublin readings anyone?

lol ....

Not hate it; just .... :eek: Just now my eyeballs are cold when I blink; am going to light the fire as the temp will start to drop sharply soon.

In ireland in times past, an old cottage like this would have the turf fire burning day and night, summer and winter.

Living flame that ate the damp. Electric and oil heating are just not the same.
    i'll concede i am a bit conflicted about it. what i enjoy is stressful for other people- particularly the elderly:o

i suppose it will be karma if i come to hate the cold, should i live into old age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭pacman.podge

OMG is FREEZIN!!!!!!! brrrrrrr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement