Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Still raining heavy in Waterford. What a disaster. Temp of 1.4c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh NO; how dreadful.

Had that when I first came to Ireland.. spent days enthroned with a bucket in my hands.. no idea what had hit me until I saw a headline weeks later re "Winter Vomitng Bug"

Prayers...

friends had it last weekend inc their little baby & we were all OMG how can that much stuff come out of something so tiny.... promised mini me we would do the Jigsaw of " asia" so im looking at palm trees while racing.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

This showery activity is heading west and north more than what was predicted. For example, a lot of Munster is likely to see some showery activity at some stage as opposed to earlier forecasts of just southern coastal areas of Munster. The band moving to our south now looks like a low and as Rory says above it is one of 3 to our east, south and north.

image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=1&sat=ir

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭roryc1

If you looks at SAT 24 now, and see 3 low,s spinning around, one south and one north of Ireland and one north east of Scotland, I have never seen that before
    :eek:

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Whats going on? Met eireann says 4c at Dublin airport, I make it around 1c and I'm about 3 miles from the airport? It's certainly not 4c where I am as there is absolutely no thaw in my back garden?
    Any other Dublin readings anyone?
    PS. I should add that my glass house is coated in ice like icing on a cake, if it was 4c as Met Eireann say that would have melted long ago. very puzzling?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Another view at 1pm today

EUMETSAT_MSG_RGB-12-12-9i-segment4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

The dirty sky has just come over us .... & the harbour has dropped back to 3.4 & DP of -.6. Both were in+ figures.. Im much higher up in the town & judging by the whiteness outside I doubt Im hovering above freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

In Kilkenny city at present. Temperature looks to be rising (car said -1 a few minutes ago, versus -4 when I arrived this morning; also, frost that has been sitting on top of cars all morning has suddenly started to disappear).

Big, ominous looking clouds to the south. They look like they'll dump somthing on us anyway, be it rain, sleet, hail or snow.

OH is at home in Waterford and says that it's raining and all the frost is gone - a miserable day there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

:eek:

Poor wee dote...:D
    jenzz wrote: »
    friends had it last weekend inc their little baby & we were all OMG how can that much stuff come out of something so tiny.... promised mini me we would do the Jigsaw of " asia" so im looking at palm trees while racing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭jay28

:eek::eek:
    But you're above 600ft more than 5 miles inland surrounded by hills.
    That shouldn't be happening up there.
    Patience.
    It's total hailstones here at the moment.

Lashing snow up here now.......not sure how long its going to last tho

• Advertisement

Excelent Jay I knew it had to!

Meanwhile down here :( just 5 miles from you as the crow flies (I can see woodenbridge from here )

Temps rising steadfastly.
    now 0.4c
    dp is -o.3c but crucially the wet bulb is now hitting zero c.

I think it's curtains here at sea level for snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

The computer says "no!".

The http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ radar is showing all rain for that precipitation approaching the south and east as well as the little that has made land. Not looking good, I reckon. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Think the sun was intefereing with the Dublin airport thermo.

Dropped from 4c to 2c in half an hour and coincides with that haze moving over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Temp rising here, now at -0.4c, may just scrape a total "ice day" yet, but somehow I doubt it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Light rain in Waterdord now and feeling milder than this morning, all the frost has been washed away, looks like a far more familiar Irish winter.

Hopefully will see the rain turn to snow when I get up to Kilkenny later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Light snow in Aughrim

Wibbler wrote: »
    The computer says "no!".

The http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ radar is showing all rain for that precipitation approaching the south and east as well as the little that has made land. Not looking good, I reckon. :rolleyes:
    Just to remind you that is computer generated,it's not from observations so is often wrong on the precip type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Excelent Jay I knew it had to!

Meanwhile down here :( just 5 miles from you as the crow flies (I can see woodenbridge from here )

Temps rising steadfastly.
    now 0.4c
    dp is -o.3c but crucially the wet bulb is now hitting zero c.

I think it's curtains here at sea level for snow now.

You still may still some intensity based snow yet, which can often fall in defiance of the "wrong side of marginal" dewpoints and temps. Hold your faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If southern air is pushing up (which it is) how does that square with talk of -8
    tonight?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

mike65 wrote: »
    If southern air is pushing up (which it is) how does that square with talk of -8
    tonight?

because its wall to wall sunshine here. and -1c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Hold your faith.

But not your breath :p

Keeping a close watch on the radar and sat now. If there's any danger of snow, I want to be out of the office early and away before any mayhem.

It was mental around Sandyford when that last batch of snow arrived last Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Oh Its going to Snow in Carlow come on showers come on

Ok just to summarise.
    This precip so far in south co wicklow is falling as hail here 2 miles from the coast and 162ft asl.

5 to 8 miles inland to the northwest of Arklow at Aughrim co wicklow and at Conary-both at or above 600ft and it is snowing.
    Temp still rising here 0.6c
    dp 0c

Villain wrote: »
    Oh Its going to Snow in Carlow come on showers come on

slow showers slow i want a cold -10c night!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

mike65 wrote: »
    tonight?

because the cold air mantains it's grip on most of the rest of the country. also where you have snow fields well inland it should be conducive to very low temperatures- as long as there is no fog.

because the cold air mantains it's grip on most of the rest of the country

considering you know much by the looks of things will the cold air stay here log enough to get the temps down to -10c....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Turned sleety now :(

Ah well there is time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

MT8_Dublin_ens.png

Very good ensemble suppot for another cold spell around New Years period, then a lot of uncertainty after that... :pac:

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Turned sleety now :(

Ah well there is time yet
    Yeah,temp is rising.
    I'm losing faith,I am I am...

dp above zero now...

At this rate of rise if it keeps going it will be 20c by nightfall :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Think the sun was intefereing with the Dublin airport thermo.

Dropped from 4c to 2c in half an hour and coincides with that haze moving over.
    Sherkin Island in far south west 3c and Roches Point also 3c.
    How the **** could Dub Airport be 4c?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement