Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (23/12/09) (Possible snow in south and east later)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As it turns to a E wind though it will pull colder air in surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

Absolutely beautiful day in tipp, cloudy but currently -1.
    Everything is white with frost , not even a slight thaw today, there has been frost in the shade permanently since the weekend.
    Expecting another freeze tonight,
    those showers in the south dont even look like getting near me...aw well:)

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Shulgin

Snowing again here in North Cork :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

owenc wrote: »
    considering you know much by the looks of things will the cold air stay here log enough to get the temps down to -10c....

thanks but i don't know much really compared to su campu, deep easterly, weathercheck, darkman, black briar, tobeconfirmed ,redsunset, supercell and mtcranium they are all the resident experts here! so you'd be better to ask them:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

MUSEIST wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful day in tipp, cloudy but currently -1.
    Everything is white with frost , not even a slight thaw today, there has been frost in the shade permanently since the weekend.
    Expecting another freeze tonight,
    those showers in the south dont even look like getting near me...aw well:)

that will be good because well get really cold tonight for another ice day wchich will mean snow will lie!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

because the cold air mantains it's grip on most of the rest of the country. also where you have snow fields well inland it should be conducive to very low temperatures- as long as there is no fog.

Very true. Plus central and northern areas s of Ireland is having the Atlantic influence cut off by the slowly deepening NE airflow. This is good chi for heavy frost! :p

Villain wrote: »
    As it turns to a E wind though it will pull colder air in surely?
    The air over the sea is actually warmer.M2 at 1pm was almost 7c in the irish sea off Dublin.
    Thats the problem.

Our airmass to start with has been marginal [hence so many reports of rain on the west coast] and then add the sea air mass into the mix and the cold air over the land is just simply not able to maintain snow except well inland and at some altitude.

thanks but i don't know much really compared to su campu, deep easterly, weathercheck, darkman, black briar, tobeconfirmed ,redsunset, supercell and mtcranium they are all the resident experts here! so you'd be better to ask them:)

ok ill ask black briar or someone considering they live up here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yellow MeteoAlarm alerts out now for Munster and Leinster :

valid from 23.12.2009 10:30 CET Until 24.12.2009 11:59 CET
    Snow/Ice
    Awareness Level: Yellow
    "Showers developing in the east of the province are likely to turn to snow further inland, with accumulations of up to 3cm. possible below 250m."

valid from 23.12.2009 10:53 CET Until 24.12.2009 02:59 CET
    Thunderstorms
    Awareness Level: Yellow
    "Isolated thunderstorms are likely today and tonight in some coastal districts."

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

Sherkin Island in far south west 3c and Roches Point also 3c.
    How the **** could Dub Airport be 4c?

The budget saw a -2c cut in the temp around Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement

The air over the sea is actually warmer.M2 at 1pm was almost 7c in the irish sea off Dublin.
    Thats the problem.

Our airmass to start with has been marginal [hence so many reports of rain on the west coast] and then add the sea air mass into the mix and the cold air over the land is just simply not able to maintain snow except well inland and at some altitude.

could we get low tonight maybe -10c up here its -1c now.. and sunny that never happens here!

Shulgin wrote: »
    Snowing again here in North Cork :D
    Where exactly and at what altitude?

owenc wrote: »
    could we get low tonight maybe -10c up here its -1c now.. and sunny that never happens here!
    Under clear skies and away from this low -yes definitely very low.
    Dunno about -10c but certainly somewhere between -4c and -7c as you are 10 miles inland as you told us before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

This is from someone who always forecasts with considerable success in the monthly forecast competition. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Looking out, the convective activity seems to be diminishing :(
    and my Dp has reached zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,092 ✭✭✭pauldry

its still minus 2.5 in ballaghadereen rosc where i am today but it is rising, the country is getting slightly milder. munster will surely be a lot milder than minus anything prob 2 to 3c further north maybe minus 4 or 5c.

Mothman wrote: »
    Looking out, the convective activity seems to be diminishing :(
    and my Dp has reached zero.
    Same here Mothman, might see some action later

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

UK radar is showing a very heavy band approaching the south east:

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/radar/

This should appear on the Irish radar soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Might be a little off topic, but I'm just wondering something and Villain perhaps you could help.

Anyway, my temp is reading 0.1c, I'm in Carlow town, Villain you are in Tullow and are reading 0.3c (as I write this at 2.13pm), yet, Oak parks reading for Carlow as of 1pm shows it as being -2c, even at 1pm I was a tad above freezing.

Also Villain, your pressure reads 985.8hPa, I'm reading 984.8hPa yet Oak park is reading 987.

Is there something about Oak Park that explains these different readings or are the two of us gone wrong? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

arctictree wrote: »

Yeah noticed that too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dublin is 4C already, I cant see it snowing there this evening or tonight, maybe the hills will get sleet and snow. Futher inland i'd say its marginal, im thinking it will be sleet maybe wet snow were I am but I dont think there will be any lying snow. I think RTE are a bit obtimistic with temps of -8C 2nite, some spots well sheltered in the west and north may see -4 or -5C I reckon but -2C to 2C more generally in the cloudier areas.

Might be a little off topic, but I'm just wondering something and Villain perhaps you could help.

Anyway, my temp is reading 0.1c, I'm in Carlow town, Villain you are in Tullow and are reading 0.3c (as I write this at 2.13pm), yet, Oak parks reading for Carlow as of 1pm shows it as being -2c, even at 1pm I was a tad above freezing.

Also Villain, your pressure reads 985.8hPa, I'm reading 984.8hPa yet Oak park is reading 987.

Is there something about Oak Park that explains these different readings or are the two of us gone wrong? :p
    Croppy its well sheltered by forestry which could explain some of it, I went much lower the other night than Oak Park. The pressure readings usually aren't that far apart but I suppose with the current systems one hour could make a big difference. That Oak Park reading was at 1pm, wait and see what the 2pm says

arctictree wrote: »

I see that!
    Good for you ... snow above 600ft inland
    Rain for me.
    Positive air..
    positive dewpoint
    postive wet bulb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dublin is 4C already, I cant see it snowing there this evening or tonight, maybe the hills will get sleet and snow. Futher inland i'd say its marginal, im thinking it will be sleet maybe wet snow were I am but I dont think there will be any lying snow. I think RTE are a bit obtimistic with temps of -8C 2nite, some spots well sheltered in the west and north may see -4 or -5C I reckon but -2C to 2C more generally in the cloudier areas.

4 C in Dublin, where did you get that from? Here it's 1,2, everything is covered in frost and im 50 metres away from the sea in Dalkey (probably the mildest place in county Dublin as it juts out into the sea).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

pauldry wrote: »
    its still minus 2.5 in ballaghadereen rosc where i am today but it is rising, the country is getting slightly milder. munster will surely be a lot milder than minus anything prob 2 to 3c further north maybe minus 4 or 5c.

of course it's rising!! -2.5. is a truly incredible temperature to record during the day. we normally wouldn't see such a low temperature by day during a cold spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Shulgin wrote: »
    We got a small covering an hour or 2 ago in North Cork. The first shower in ages , the place is all white once again.

Hopefully this shall move on towards Limerick so we can get some

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Sunny here, the ice is gone but bitterly cold in West Donegal.

TomTom wrote: »
    Typical, wife just rang, we are out of heating oil, not sure how I let this slip. And the oil company might have difficulty with delivery due to the roads around where we live.

Looks like some trees might be falling in Offaly this evening to keep my house warm.
    TomTom wrote: »
    I have a back boiler on the stove in the kitchen so that shall be running over time.

Our local 'GO' filling station sell 25L drums of home heating oil. Don't know how much but two or three of them (easily fit in the back of the car or the boot) should keep you going for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Drizzle on top of last nights frost = very slippy.

Take Care

3.3C up from 1C 20 minutes ago.

Croppy Oak Park at 2pm was -1c with 986 pressure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Was just out for a bit around Castletroy, its currently zero degrees!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement