Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

03 Vectra Heating Problem

• 23-12-2009 9:28am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads, have a 03 vectra that isnt heating properly and i need to make a long journey tomorrow with a person with a serious chest problem. Mentioned it to a mate and he said to check if there's water in the engine, no ellaboration, anyone care to help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Check to see if theres the proper coolant level first,
    could be as simple as that. You'll be toasty warm in no time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does the temp gauge drop towards cold when you hit the open road?
    Does the temp gauge rise up when in traffic?

IF the above is true it sounds like your thermostat is stuck slightly open. What you can do (at your own risk of course) is to insert a sheet of cardboard and cover up half the radiator in the front of the car. If your thermostat is stuck open this will give you some heating inside the car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Have checked coolant and it seems fine, maybe i'll top it up.
    Does the temp gauge drop towards cold when you hit the open road?
    Does the temp gauge rise up when in traffic?

IF the above is true it sounds like your thermostat is stuck slightly open. What you can do (at your own risk of course) is to insert a sheet of cardboard and cover up half the radiator in the front of the car. If your thermostat is stuck open this will give you some heating inside the car.
    Yes, but its always been like this even when the heating was working, in traffic gauge moves to the middle but once i hit an open stretch and get some air passing over the rad it drops.

Have checked coolant and it seems fine, maybe i'll top it up.

Yes, but its always been like this even when the heating was working, in traffic gauge moves to the middle but once i hit an open stretch and get some air passing over the rad it drops.

Does the heater work when your stopped and sitting in traffic for a while?

I guess the question is how much does it drop when you hit the open road? Just a couple of degrees? or does it start to go right down towards cold?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Does the heater work when your stopped and sitting in traffic for a while?

I guess the question is how much does it drop when you hit the open road? Just a couple of degrees? or does it start to go right down towards cold?

No, pretty much now it doesnt work at all :( its pretty much blowing cold air into the car

• Advertisement

in traffic gauge moves to the middle but once i hit an open stretch and get some air passing over the rad it drops.

If your coolant level is good I would second DublinDilbert that like you need to change your thermostat. Just replaced one on my 00 car that was struggling to get all warmed up even in summer when on the move let alone now in winter. Coolant temp however eventually raised up to normal when in stuck in traffic but dropped slightly below the middle once moving again.

With the new stat the needle raises up way quicker and the difference in heater efficiency is unreal. The needle stays stuck to the "need depth above the middle" no matter what the speed is.

Any idea on the cost of that?

Any idea on the cost of that?

The thermostats are usually fairly cheap, should be in around €20.

Although i'm not sure the thermostat is the problem in this case.

After the engine has been running for a while can you verify that the pipes going to/from the internal heater matrix are hot? You'll be able to feel these at the bulk head in the engine bay. If these pipes are hot you more than likely have a problem with the air flow circuit.

I'm not sure how the vectra controls the temperature of the heater matrix, although most cars now control the airflow over it, rather than the temperature in it. So you could well have a "flap" that's stuck or not working in the air flow path.

The thermostats are usually fairly cheap, should be in around €20.

Although i'm not sure the thermostat is the problem in this case.

After the engine has been running for a while can you verify that the pipes going to/from the internal heater matrix are hot? You'll be able to feel these at the bulk head in the engine bay. If these pipes are hot you more than likely have a problem with the air flow circuit.

I'm not sure how the vectra controls the temperature of the heater matrix, although most cars now control the airflow over it, rather than the temperature in it. So you could well have a "flap" that's stuck or not working in the air flow path.

Sorry man, you lost me at the internal heater matrix :)

Sorry man, you lost me at the internal heater matrix :)

Its exactly the same as the radiators in your house! Its got 2 pipes, hot water goes in one and out the other. When there's hot water flowing inside of it, it gives of heat.

• Advertisement

Cheers, will have a look when I get home Dilbert,

Edit, any idea where exactly this is located?

That sounds plausible too. Or could be air lock in the heater core.

However if the temp needle begins to travel towards cold when driving it is most likely a stat fault. It's good to get that changed repaired as running too cold increases your fuel consumption and may increase engine wear too.

I think thermostat for my Brava was about €25 from motor factors, reason being it comes built in an elbow. Standard ones are probably less than tenner. Took about 45 minutes to change included bleeding the system. In some cars you loose lots of coolant in the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

If the coolant level is fine, try and bleed the air lock out
    before you go and buy a thermostat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm thinking the thermostat too. As well as getting the heat working, replacing the thermostat should allow the engine to warm up far more quickly, saving on wear and fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Could also be head gasket failure, my dad's old Vectra died because of that very thing. Check the underside of the oil filler cap for a creamy mayonnaise like substance and for the same under the radiator cap (engine cold).

Thanks for the advice folks, will have a poke around later!

Edit, any idea where exactly this is located?

Your looking for 2 rubber pipes about 1 inch in diameter, which pass through the bulk head between the engine and the passenger compartment. These are typically located on the passenger side of the car, about 1 foot below the bonnet.

Home now, checked the coolant level and its fine, sitting in the car with the engine running, the air is Lukewarm at best,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

when you turn the heater knob can you hear anything going on behind the dash (try it with the engine off but the ignition on) either a motor turning or the sound of a lever moving?

Can you go from lukewarm to cold or is it the same temp no matter what you do?

No I can go to cold, yeah I can hear stuff moving in the dash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

did this hapen all of a sudden? do you have a phone kit fitted to the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭frank gooding

Heli

I would suggest 2 things.

1. Borrrow a car from someone for the long journey. Or bring plenty of warm clothes for your passenger.

2. Not to be cheeky but it sounds like you need someone who knows what they are doing to sort this out. This should be easy enough for a decent mechanic to diagnose.

Frank

I have another car to use a small corsa that has the opposite problem (well for me anyway it gets too hot!) but comfort is also a factor, a friend is a mechanic but he's in the states at the month, thanks for the advice folks, appeciate it

Advertisement