Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying while Pregnant?

• 23-12-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hiya just wondering weather you can help me

Myself and my partner is going to start trying for a baby in February (Which were both over the moon about).

Only problem is, we have 2 holidays booked, 1 for June (1 week) and 1 for July (1 week).

Will i be able to fly???

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭Amberjack

I wouldn't get too worried about cancelling holidays just yet, it could take months for you to conceive and then again you could be lucky. Don't take it for granted that it will happen 1st time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Noodles23

Amberjack wrote: »
    I wouldn't get too worried about cancelling holidays just yet, it could take months for you to conceive and then again you could be lucky. Don't take it for granted that it will happen 1st time.

I understand that it could take a while for me to get pregnant but if I do get pregnant straight away then whats the rules about flying when pregnant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You wil'l be able to fly no problems, unless you end upo having multiples-I was planning a flight to the USA at 24 weeks and my consultant suggested I cancel as I was pregnant with twins, which carries extra risk. Most airlines let you fly until 36 weeks.

The only issue I can see is if you are in your first trimester and have bad morning sickness, flying can make this worse due to dehydration and the recycled air.

:eek:
    silja wrote: »
    You wil'l be able to fly no problems, unless you end upo having multiples-I was planning a flight to the USA at 24 weeks and my consultant suggested I cancel as I was pregnant with twins, which carries extra risk. Most airlines let you fly until 36 weeks.

The only issue I can see is if you are in your first trimester and have bad morning sickness, flying can make this worse due to dehydration and the recycled air.

Oh god I don't think i would be able for twins (i say it like i get a choice) :p The reason why i ask was cos we've already paid for the flights and the accomadation for the holidays we'd have to leave tying for a baby until after them! just wanted to make sure it was allowed (of course with doctors permission)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

My wife had a baby boy recently. During the pregnancy we went to Hawaii, Canada and France.
    We didn't fly in the last 3 months.
    We have a very happy child t.g.

• Advertisement

bagus wrote: »
    My wife had a baby boy recently. During the pregnancy we went to Hawaii, Canada and France.
    We didn't fly in the last 3 months.
    We have a very happy child t.g.

And there I was thinking going to Madrid was a holiday! Thats good to hear! I was checking dates wise and they say that they don't advise travelling between the first 3 months and the last three!

PS congratulations on your little boy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭bagus

Thanks

She was about one month pregnant in Canada and Hawaii. The downside was that she was very tired.

I think the middle 3 months are best for that reason, you'll have more energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Make sure you wear travel socks as the biggest risk is deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the legs)

Keep yourself hydrated and try to get seats near to the toilets as you may need it more frequently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

make sure you have travel insurance as well

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Noodles23 wrote: »
    Hiya just wondering weather you can help me

Myself and my partner is going to start trying for a baby in February (Which were both over the moon about).

Only problem is, we have 2 holidays booked, 1 for June (1 week) and 1 for July (1 week).

Will i be able to fly???

Thanks in Advance

Hiya,

God you have some worries even before you get there... ha ha
    Well.. I am in 7th month now 27 weeks exactly.. I am flying a lot since I am going for check ups back home to Prague every month...
    Have to say its not really recomended you fly in first trimestr.. thats when most things could go wrong for your little one.. from the mid 4th month you dont have to worry.. its not really about flying itself but walking through the detector scans in the airport.. just always let the security staff know that you are pregnant and they will take you around the scan rather then through.. thats really the only danger while flying..
    The best of luck girl! x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Elle13 wrote: »
    its not really about flying itself but walking through the detector scans in the airport.. just always let the security staff know that you are pregnant and they will take you around the scan rather then through.. thats really the only danger while flying..

This is not true, there are no x-rays involved in airport metal detectors. They use electromagnetic radiation (the same as in your mobile phone).

There is actually a very small amount of radiation exposure from the flight itself, as you are above some of the protective layers of the earth's atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

This is not true, there are no x-rays involved in airport metal detectors. They use electromagnetic radiation (the same as in your mobile phone).

There is actually a very small amount of radiation exposure from the flight itself, as you are above some of the protective layers of the earth's atmosphere.

Hmm... sorry but are you working in the area that you are so sure.. As I have this from a source who actually worked on developing those scans.. Its not only about the once we have here in Ireland its also about the once where you arrive..Anyhow even el. radiation could be dangerous for your little one in first 3 months.. this is proven and I would not chance it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Swizzles

Hey Noodles..
    Was wondering the same myself but the recommend not flying between the first and last trimester..Im in my 13th week now and boy that was the last thing on my mind..But if you choose too drink plenty of water and take naps during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Elle13 wrote: »
    Hmm... sorry but are you working in the area that you are so sure.. As I have this from a source who actually worked on developing those scans.. Its not only about the once we have here in Ireland its also about the once where you arrive..Anyhow even el. radiation could be dangerous for your little one in first 3 months.. this is proven and I would not chance it!

Yes, I have a degree in Physics and a masters in Medical Physics. I work in the area of radiation physics.

Here are some links to information on this subject from the Health Physics Society
    1) Pregnancy and Security Screening
    2) Airport Screening
    3) Flying

I am talking here about the standard airport metal detectors, not the new 'whole body' ones which do use x-rays (from what I can gather these are only in use in a very small number of airports so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭beachbabe

I had a miscarriage, and also a DVT in the past. I flew to New York while 6 weeks pregnant with my son. Both my Consultant in the maternity hospital and St James, whom I attend regarding my DVT had no problems with me flying. I now have a happy, healthy 8 week old boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

I was flying as well when i was pregnant at 22 weeks and everything was OK. If it's long flight then you might be tired sitting 4-10 hours on same chair or if it's first trimester you might fall sick, but otherwise i don't think there is any problem. Just take fluids as more as you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

About screening issue, i remember when i was passing control the woman noticed that i was pregnant and she told me that i have right not to go through the metal detector.

Advertisement