Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT question

• 23-12-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭

Would a car fail the NCT if its engine warning light is on?

I know its the 02 sensor that is failing, which is the exhaust (assuming that exhaust emissions pass). I think this got damaged as a result of the head gasket failing about 6 months ago.

Also would a person fail the driving test if this light was on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Driving test, yes, I think they won't let you do the test if there are any warning lights on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Engine light on = fail on NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

Driving test, yes, I think they won't let you do the test if there are any warning lights on.

Thats what I was thinking
    Magnus wrote:
    Engine light on = fail on NCT.

So this is something they check for?

The car is 10 years old and I was hoping to get another few years out of it, but now I hear ill have to do an NCT every year (as its over 10 years old). I was thinking I could try and hide the fact that the light is on. Do you know if they specifically make sure that the light is not on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

irishguy wrote: »
    I was thinking I could try and hide the fact that the light is on. Do you know if they specifically make sure that the light is not on?

Or you could just replace the lambda/02 sensor!

It would be cheaper in the long run, should also save you on fuel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Magnus wrote: »
    Engine light on = fail on NCT

With respect, dont think so. Can you show this as a reason for failure in the NCT manual? I cant find it in mine. However if the engine is in limp mode or is causing the emmissions to be incorrect, and as a result of that it turns on the light, then the car will fail for emissions but not for the light.
    ABS light, on the other hand is a stated failure item.

• Advertisement

Or you could just replace the lambda/02 sensor!

It would be cheaper in the long run, should also save you on fuel too.

I had a mechanic look at it. When he cleared the error, it showed up pretty much straight away. Along with me driving about 300km on a blown gasket (topping it up with water). I am guessing that there is something broken and not a faulty sensor. Is it worth even trying to replace the sensor, is it not a big enough job to get to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

irishguy wrote: »
    I had a mechanic look at it. When he cleared the error, it showed up pretty much straight away. Along with me driving about 300km on a blown gasket (topping it up with water). I am guessing that there is something broken and not a faulty sensor. Is it worth even trying to replace the sensor, is it not a big enough job to get to it?

It could be as simple as an air/vac leak... Or it could be the 02 sensor. Best would be to ask the lads here for the name of someone competent in your area who can diagnose the problem.

If you have an engine light on, you may well be using lots of extra fuel, so its false economy not getting it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    With respect, dont think so. Can you show this as a reason for failure in the NCT manual? I cant find it in mine. However if the engine is in limp mode or is causing the emmissions to be incorrect, and as a result of that it turns on the light, then the car will fail for emissions but not for the light.
    ABS light, on the other hand is a stated failure item.
    Yeah you may be right, I just looked on page 5 in the manual about the emissions test. http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Engine Oil Pressure / Light OK?
    NO on any item:
    Decline to do Roadworthiness Test until fault is rectified.

This seems to be for diesels only.

It could be as simple as an air/vac leak... Or it could be the 02 sensor. Best would be to ask the lads here for the name of someone competent in your area who can diagnose the problem.

If you have an engine light on, you may well be using lots of extra fuel, so its false economy not getting it sorted.

The mechanic said it was either a fault 02 sensor or there was a problem with the exhaust. He thinks it could be the exhaust because of the head gasket going. If it is the exhaust there isnt much point in fixing it as its nearly 11 years old.

I havent noticed any extra fuel consumption and it has been on for about 700km

Any recommendations for someone in Dublin city centre or south dublin?
    Any idea how much replacing the exhaust would be?

Advertisement