Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xbox 360 console replacement?

• 23-12-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Bad time of the year to have you Xbox die on you! Got an E79 and 3 red lights on the xbox. Sent it in for a quote from the console repair place in Abbey street and they said it was uneconomical to repair. Both the CPU and motherboard are gone they told me. Microsoft were gonna charge me €90 because its out of extended warranty (one of the old ones) and they cant guarantee that they would send it back because I opened it. After it failed I wanted to see if the heat sync or X strap were lose. However they claim that this constitutes tampering and may not repair it!

I hate giving those a**holes more money but as much as it pains me to do it, I want to replace it. Which is another saga, since everywhere is doing deals and dont seem to sell it without its accessories i.e Hard drive, controller, games etc. So my question is, is there anyone who knows of a place that would sell an Xbox (preferably Elite) without the peripherals? Or suggestions on an alternative solution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Crapbag wrote: »
    Bad time of the year to have you Xbox die on you! Got an E79 and 3 red lights on the xbox. Sent it in for a quote from the console repair place in Abbey street and they said it was uneconomical to repair. Both the CPU and motherboard are gone they told me. Microsoft were gonna charge me €90 because its out of extended warranty (one of the old ones) and they cant guarantee that they would send it back because I opened it. After it failed I wanted to see if the heat sync or X strap were lose. However they claim that this constitutes tampering and may not repair it!

I hate giving those a**holes more money but as much as it pains me to do it, I want to replace it. Which is another saga, since everywhere is doing deals and dont seem to sell it without its accessories i.e Hard drive, controller, games etc. So my question is, is there anyone who knows of a place that would sell an Xbox (preferably Elite) without the peripherals? Or suggestions on an alternative solution?

I find the 'GPU and Motherboard is gone' hard to believe. Can you tell me what the secondary error code is when it red rings? You can find this out by pressing sync and eject... you should get four numbers. 4 red lights is represented as 0 whilst 1 is 1 etc.

Can you tell me what it is? 0010 for example? If so I may be able to repair it for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Achilles wrote: »
    I find the 'GPU and Motherboard is gone' hard to believe. Can you tell me what the secondary error code is when it red rings? You can find this out by pressing sync and eject... you should get four numbers. 4 red lights is represented as 0 whilst 1 is 1 etc.

Can you tell me what it is? 0010 for example? If so I may be able to repair it for you...

Cool. Ill get you these codes when I get home. I deal a bit with PC repair and maintenance so when I opened it I had an antistatic strap on. When I saw nothing could be easily swapped out and the heat sync was fine, I just put it back together. I literally looked at it for about 2 minutes when I saw no obvious damage I put it back together as I didnt know much about the hardware and didnt want to risk further damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Also, with regard to your original question, an elite without the hard drive and accessories is just an Arcade..

If you can spill for the Elite then you can do that and just sell the accessories - selling the hard drive for 70/80 euro puts the overall cost lower than most Arcade systems

Also, with regard to your original question, an elite without the hard drive and accessories is just an Arcade..

If you can spill for the Elite then you can do that and just sell the accessories - selling the hard drive for 70/80 euro puts the overall cost lower than most Arcade systems

Good idea. However it is one of the old hard drives (20GB) and wouldnt be worth anything really. However knowing the name of the stand alone is cool. Thanks

I thought the arcade was the model down? The elite and the arcade have 2 different chipsets dont they?

Ok here is what I get. Ill also explain the process I use just to see if I might be doing it incorrectly

1. Turn xbox on
    2. 3 red lights appear (numbers 1, 2, 4)
    3. press sync and eject (all four lights appear flash rapid)
    4. press sync and eject (1 light flash rapidly)
    5. press sync and eject (4 lights flash rapidly)
    6. press sync and eject (2 lights flash rapidly)
    7. press sync and eject (4 lights flash rapidly)
    8. press sync and eject (3 red lights slowly)

So from my understanding that's 0102 or error code E18

"Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
    There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips. The other involves re-Heating the chips"

Ill give you the history of the fault also

1. Game began to freeze after approx 45 minutes of play
    2. Rebooted, game froze after random periods of time
    3. Changed game, same symptoms
    4. Removed hard drive, same symptoms
    5. Error code E79 appeared but after reboot would disappear
    6. Call MS tech support
    7. Opened the xbox and then closed it again after brief inspection
    8. When restart, 3 RROD appeared

• Advertisement

yeah I can sort that for you if you're interested pm me.

yeah I can sort that for you if you're interested pm me.

My sincere thanks to Achilles for repairing my xbox 360. An xbox which I gave into Console Repairs in Abbey street and they told me it was uneconomical to repair. He had it fixed within the same day I dropped it to him and showed me it working after the repair. After me thinking I would need to replace it and Microsoft gave me nothing me hassle over it, I ended up spending much less than I thought I would have to. Hopefully it will last a while longer

So if anyone needs an xbox repaired give him a shout. He gets my recommendation. Especially with the amount of Xbox's bought over christmas (possibly second hand)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Good man achilles

Crapbag wrote: »
    My sincere thanks to Achilles for repairing my xbox 360. An xbox which I gave into Console Repairs in Abbey street and they told me it was uneconomical to repair. He had it fixed within the same day I dropped it to him and showed me it working after the repair. After me thinking I would need to replace it and Microsoft gave me nothing me hassle over it, I ended up spending much less than I thought I would have to. Hopefully it will last a while longer

So if anyone needs an xbox repaired give him a shout. He gets my recommendation. Especially with the amount of Xbox's bought over christmas (possibly second hand)

No worries mate have a good gaming Christmas :P

Advertisement