Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boyzone

• 23-12-2009 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Anyone else wish Boyzone would just get on with it like everyone else has to instead of popping up all over the place to publicly air their grief in a never ending series of TV and magazine exclusives about how tough they are finding it. Not that tough then eh lads.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 seomul

Wish to hear them again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

yeah i'm noticing this a lot..did you see the spread on the paper last week with the interview from Shane saying it was his time to go in Gods eyes and things happen for a reason etc etc

i'm noticing this with Janet Jackson as well..she was no where to be seen the last 5 years or since whenever that superbowl incident was and since Michael died i can't flick onto MTV without her doing some rigid dance in an army outfit and wailing and throwing her hair around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Tallspoon wrote: »
    Anyone else wish Boyzone would just get on with it like everyone else has to instead of popping up all over the place to publicly air their grief in a never ending series of TV and magazine exclusives about how tough they are finding it.

Yes, indeed. I wasn't sure if I was being hard-hearted, but the constant talk of "helping each other get through it" has started to seem a little weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

its too much now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I can see how some people would find it over the top, but I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. They could have just buried their heads in the sand, but instead they've chosen to release the single with Stephen's vocals on it. When any band releases a new single / album they do lots of press interviews. They will, of course, be asked about Stephen in these interviews.

And I'd say it doesn't sit easy with them that they're continuing on as a four piece.

That's just my view, and it probably is biased as I am a massive Boyzone fan myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Dont know how true is but I heard a rumour that the "new" Boyzone single has actually been in existence for years and that the "band" never thought it was good enough to release. When Stephen Gately died it was edited to have him singing first and Bobs your Auntie, surefire hit!

marwelie wrote: »
    Dont know how true is but I heard a rumour that the "new" Boyzone single has actually been in existence for years and that the "band" never thought it was good enough to release. When Stephen Gately died it was edited to have him singing first and Bobs your Auntie, surefire hit!

That's not true. It was written by Mika for the band and they recorded it two years ago, but he wouldn't give them permission to release it. They met him after Stephen died and he allowed them to release it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I sit corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Tallspoon wrote: »
    Anyone else wish Boyzone would just get on with it like everyone else has to instead of popping up all over the place to publicly air their grief in a never ending series of TV and magazine exclusives about how tough they are finding it. Not that tough then eh lads.

It's called grieving. Try to be a little more sympathetic.

They just lost the guy they thought of as their little brother so they're bound to be devestated and if talking about it, publically or privately, helps them get through it than so be it.

I for one have complete admiration for how they all seem to be coping and I think it's great that they have released a song Steven loved in his memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

brae2009 wrote: »
    one word : hard work will lead you to succes
    That's not one word, Brae.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

From any interviews I've seen them do they don't seem the type to milk something like this. I think it's more of a tribute to him than anything else. Can't say I like the song to be honest but if that's what they want to do then fair enough. They lost their friend, I don't think anyone outside of the four of them can judge their actions to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 keary79

gave it all away is a lovely song and video is a great tribute to someone who died before his time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

for me ronan is the one milking it more than the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

for me ronan is the one milking it more than the others

Agreed. And since when did he become 'Steo'? I never once heard him referred to as steo before he died? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

^^ I did, I was an avid fan, I grew up with Boyzone, watched their 'candid' videos religiously when I was a kid, they were very close all 5 of them, long before we knew about Stephen's 'news' (not that it matters a ****) they were proper best mates.. I wouldn't begrudge them their grief.. seriously people, close the curtains ffs.. what difference does it make?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,878 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So the album topped the charts in the UK and the single topped the charts in the Irish charts

Why isnt Stephen's picture on the album cover?

Boyzone.jpg

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    So the album topped the charts in the UK and the single topped the charts in the Irish charts

Why isnt Stephen's picture on the album cover?

Boyzone.jpg

Because people would say they're just cashing in on his death even more so if they had his picture on the cover.

They can't win :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I think a lot of the time they're asked questions about Stephen in interviews etc so it's probably not entirely their fault that there are so many articles out there. I've no doubt they loved him a lot and their grief is real but this always happens when someone in the spotlight dies...family, friends, workmates or whoever take every opportnity to try & tell the world how great that person was and there's always some kind of tribute show to follow.
    Has anyone heard their new album...I heard Ronan or one of the others saying it's completely different than their other stuff. I like the new song...reminds me of UB40 back in the day!!
    And I wonder why Mika initially gave them the song to sing but not to release??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

stephen is on the album cover ur just not lookin close enough.....se the wee man in the O in boyzone, thats steo:cool:

• Advertisement

Michael B wrote: »
    Because people would say they're just cashing in on his death even more so if they had his picture on the cover.

They can't win :rolleyes:

But they are cashing in on his death anyways

But they are cashing in on his death anyways
    And if they had him on the cover the likes of you would give out about it even more than you are already!

Michael B wrote: »
    And if they had him on the cover the likes of you would give out about it even more than you are already!

Considering he was part of the band and he recorded some of the songs or song (i dont have the album so dont how many Stephen features on) i would have thought his picture would also be on the cover i wouldnt be giving out about that it would be expected :rolleyes:

Considering he was part of the band and he recorded some of the songs or song (i dont have the album so dont how many Stephen features on) i would have thought his picture would also be on the cover i wouldnt be giving out about that it would be expected :rolleyes:

He features on two.

And I think it's despicable that people would say they are cashing in on Stephen's death. They're just trying to do what he would want as far as I can see. No matter what they do, someone will have something to complain about. Just leave them be and let them try to get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭airhorn

lizt wrote: »
    He features on two.

And I think it's despicable that people would say they are cashing in on Stephen's death. They're just trying to do what he would want as far as I can see. No matter what they do, someone will have something to complain about. Just leave them be and let them try to get on with it.

I think they are definetly cashing in on Stephen's death, there was'nt half as much about Michael Jackson god rest his soul when he passed away, i cant seem to turn on the telly lately & all i see is Ronan & the rest of them with a few crocodile tears running down the side of their jaws....flippin hell they were cutting one anothers throats for years prior to his death, infact they were barely back together when the poor lad passed away. Move on Boyzone & quit the sh!t!

airhorn wrote: »
    I think they are definetly cashing in on Stephen's death, there was'nt half as much about Michael Jackson god rest his soul when he passed away, i cant seem to turn on the telly lately & all i see is Ronan & the rest of them with a few crocodile tears running down the side of their jaws....flippin hell they were cutting one anothers throats for years prior to his death, infact they were barely back together when the poor lad passed away. Move on Boyzone & quit the sh!t!

First of all, the media wouldn't shut up about Michael Jackson for months after he died! I certainly remember hearing a lot more about Michael Jackson than Stephen. Although that is to be expected as Michael was obviously a lot more famous than Stephen.

And I think anyone with a bit of empathy can see that Boyzone's tears are not crocodile tears. They were reunited for two years. Even if they had never reformed, the five of them would still have had strong bonds. They matured together in a band and that's an experience that only the five of them have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

I'd say that particular song was picked for them a few years ago in the event any of them died prematurely.

I would fully expect a record company to do something as machiavellian as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

so ronan does all the singing now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

They're not a band, they're a group.
    A band writes its own songs and can play instruments. Boyzone can do neither.

• Advertisement

so ronan does all the singing now

Nope Mikey features prominently on the new album.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

After initially thinking that the way they dealt with Stephen's grief was dignified around the time of the funeral, I've changed my mind.

I can see that they are genuinely grieving but someone is cashing in here, them or their management.

Saw some of that tribute show and it was total crap.

They are a band who was on its arse before Stephen's death, they only have one member with any bit of talent and have seen the opportunity to cash in and dress it up as a "tribute" show IMO.

All the above might sound harsh, but they've gone down in my estimation.

The death of Stephen was the greatest thing that ever happened to their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 menorcababy

I think anybody who is not an avid boyzone fan needs to stop complaining. I for one love Boyzone, I grew up with them and will buy every record they ever release. I don't think there milking stephens death. I think the media are hounding them for information on it. I personally enjoyed the tribute show and I think its something Stephen would have enjoyed doing. They are four nice lads and should be left alone. And they are a four piece now so why shouldnt their new album cover shoe the four of them. If the album cover had of been of Stephen it would only add fuel to fire I think!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,147 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think anybody who is not an avid boyzone fan needs to stop complaining. I for one love Boyzone, I grew up with them and will buy every record they ever release. I don't think there milking stephens death. I think the media are hounding them for information on it. I personally enjoyed the tribute show and I think its something Stephen would have enjoyed doing. They are four nice lads and should be left alone. And they are a four piece now so why shouldnt their new album cover shoe the four of them. If the album cover had of been of Stephen it would only add fuel to fire I think!

I'm sure he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ammonite wrote: »
    The death of Stephen was the greatest thing that ever happened to their careers.

What an awful and insensitive thing to say!

You do realise that the lads all looked on Stephen as their little brother and if you bothered to look at how they reacted to his death, how cut up they were at his funeral, how they cried on the Gave It All Away video you would see that far from the best thing that happened to them and their careers, this has devestated them.

If they want to do tribute shows and release an album in Stephen's memory then more power to them. Everyone has their own way of coping with loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

What an awful and insensitive thing to say!

You do realise that the lads all looked on Stephen as their little brother and if you bothered to look at how they reacted to his death, how cut up they were at his funeral, how they cried on the Gave It All Away video you would see that far from the best thing that happened to them and their careers, this has devestated them.

If they want to do tribute shows and release an album in Stephen's memory then more power to them. Everyone has their own way of coping with loss.

I stress, I said it was the best thing to happen to their careers, not them.

I realise that they are grieving and I am not suggesting for one minute that they would rather have Stephen dead because it would further their career. Are they better off in their personal lives? No. Are they better off in their professional lives? Quite bluntly, yes. They've been number one in the British album chart for a few weeks now so they are making a pile of extra money which is at least down to Stephen's death, whether they're milking it or not. They were playing to half empty arenas a couple of years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mariaf24

Ammonite wrote: »
    I stress, I said it was the best thing to happen to their careers, not them.

I realise that they are grieving and I am not suggesting for one minute that they would rather have Stephen dead because it would further their career. Are they better off in their personal lives? No. Are they better off in their professional lives? Quite bluntly, yes. They've been number one in the British album chart for a few weeks now so they are making a pile of extra money which is at least down to Stephen's death, whether they're milking it or not. They were playing to half empty arenas a couple of years ago.

I completely agree with this. It's a tragedy for all of them to have lost Stephen,out of all the boybands/popbands Boyzone always appeared to be genuinely close. However,there is no denying that the band will certainly profit from Stephen's death. I personally found the video to "Gave it all away" a bit much and a bit too soon. I imagine the record company were loving it and i would blame them rather than the band.
    Also, I think they have done far too many interviews etc since,they seem to begin with discussing Stephen's death and then go on to plug their album and what not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

They are completely milking it. Ronan Keating would sell his soul to be on tv for a second talking about it. They were definitely on their a*se before Stephen died, they couldnt even sell out their UK tour and were playing to half empty venues all over the country. So in a way his death is the biggest thing that's ever happened to Boyzone, because they were really on their way out before he did, and now bob's your uncle, they've a No 1 Album and guess what? Another f*cking tour. Cant believe they've milked the press attention so much though, it's quite disgusting, but Keating loves it, you can clearly tell, i don't really blame the other 3 though. They've not got much else to do. The majority of people (not Boyzone fans, obviously - so hold your horses before you get all defensive!! lol) are blue in the face seeing them on telly or in the paper about it now. Public grieving is acceptable, but only to an extent. Keating saves all his tears for Steo for when he's being watched. You see he was taught by the best, Mr Louis Walsh, and knows how to sell records to pitying housewives ready to lavish their sympathy.

They'll be on their a*se again soon enough. I like Boyzone, i just cannot stand Ronan anymore - and i used to be a big fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,744 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Come to think of it, the Boyz have been quiet lately. For a while there you couldn't open a paper or turn on the tv without one or all of them milking the Gately death with Steo this and Steo that and we're doin' this for Steo and that for Steo.

And, as others have rightly said, Gately's death was the best thing that ever happened to this
    has been band, and believe me, they ****ing know it! They're having a right old laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

Dont hold your breath, they've a new single out next week. It'll be all plug plug plug..... Back to over exposure.

I'd imagine their friends at RTE will look after them and have them on the late late show or Craig Doyle's show next week. Then it'll be all "...we're doing this for Steo (but isn't it great we're famous and raking it in)" crap all over again.

GRRRRR. Where's all the new bands, has nobody got a chance to knock these useless fe*kers off their platforms unless they're on bloody X factor or the likes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

I read in the papers about Stephen's book being released soon- I have to say the plot sounds awfully like The Magic Faraway Tree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 la1123

I can see how some people would find it over the top, but I have nothing but respect and admiration for them. They could have just buried their heads in the sand, but instead they've chosen to release the single with Stephen's vocals on it. When any band releases a new single / album they do lots of press interviews. They will, of course, be asked about Stephen in these interviews.

And I'd say it doesn't sit easy with them that they're continuing on as a four piece.

That's just my view, and it probably is biased as I am a massive Boyzone fan myself.

I agree with you I will always love,support lads. I respect and admire the pain they are going though. They will never get over the loss of Steo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 la1123

Nope Mikey features prominently on the new album.
    Keith and Shane alos sing on the new album Brothers maybe you should listen to the whole album..

la1123 wrote: »
    Keith and Shane alos sing on the new album Brothers maybe you should listen to the whole album..

Em... I have? Mikey is a lot more prominent than Shane and Keith and that was the point I was making.

And it's actually called Brother, not Brothers, maybe you should look at the album cover.

Advertisement