Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

800px Print Quality / Flickr rant!

• 23-12-2009 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I checked my flickr updates this morning and found the following comment for the pic below;

I'd like your permission to use this photo in a graphic.
    I'm a production artist for a newspaper in the United States and I'd be happy to send you a copy of it when it prints
    .”

I wrote back saying im interested, but could you give me some more details on the usage and said maybe you could make me a payment offer for a full resolution version….

I only upload 800px sizes @72 dpi to flickr in the past few months. However I just noticed this person also added me as a contact moments after. As I had previously had my flickr set to allow my contacts download my pics, this means the above person more than likely already downloaded the 800px version :mad:

So do you think the 800px version would be high enough quality to be used “in a graphic” ?

3998702874_927c4e533a_m.jpg

By the way I’ve now changed my flickr settings. I know there are ways around this, but it’s a start at least….Maybe they will come back to me with a nice cash offer, but id say my chance is gone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

Hey, Regardless he cant use the image without your permission, so i wouldnt worry to much. Even if he has downloaded the higher res he cant use it unless you have given him rights. :D So perhaps find out what paper he works for?

... Thats a really sweet image!

I checked my flickr updates this morning and found the following comment for the pic below......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Brady wrote: »
    Hey, Regardless he cant use the image without your permission, so i wouldnt worry to much. Even if he has downloaded the higher res he cant use it unless you have given him rights. :D So perhaps find out what paper he works for?
    ....in a perfect world...!
    If he/she downloaded it, they only have a 800px x 500px @ 72dpi version. Question is, is this a high enough quality to be used in print?
    Brady wrote: »
    ... Thats a really sweet image!
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd say the very fact that he contacted you at all probably means that he's on the level. He could have just 'yoink'ed it without a by your leave, safe in the knowledge you'd never find out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

So do you think the 800px version would be high enough quality to be used “in a graphic” ?

I suppose it depends what 'in a graphic' means.

The rule-of-thumb for average sized high quality prints is about 300 DPI. On that basis, the max. size would be under 3" x 2" - however, you can get away with much lower values of DPI depending on the usage, and whether or not some form of 'upsizer' or interpolation is used.

(The 72 DPI number you mention is irrelevant and makes no difference to anything).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you would be sooooo suprised at how well low res images would print

i just did a friend a favour and printed a picture from a mobile phone 640*480 as a 6" * 4" print and framed it, now to me i doesnt look great. BUT the friend was sooooo over the moon with it and loved it

• Advertisement

To follow up on this, i got the following reply today
    Hello,
    I work for a small newspaper near San Francisco, California called the San Mateo Daily Journal. We have a circulation of about 58,000 daily readers. Our web site is WWW.smdailyjournal.com.
    I work making graphic elements and in this regard I wanted to use your photo for a movie poster type graphic for a section called our 'athletes of the season.'
    While the image is excellent, unfortunately it is our policy not to pay for any images.
    If payment is what you seek then I'm sorry and thank you for your consideration. Good luck with your photography. No doubt you are very skilled.

Respectfully,
    JULIO LARA
    SAN MATEO DAILY JOURNAL PRODUCTION

My initial reaction is to email back along the lines of;
    Your paper aint free, I assume you dont work for free, so why should i give my image free of charge? (but in a more polite manner)

Anybody any thoughts / suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

To follow up on this, i got the following reply today

My initial reaction is to email back along the lines of;
    Your paper aint free, I assume you dont work for free, so why should i give my image free of charge? (but in a more polite manner)

Anybody any thoughts / suggestions?

I think you should do just that, but yes, in a more polite fashion. He was courteous enough so a bit of reciprocity is never a bad thing.

58000 readers might be small fry in the states, but I think it's about half the circulation of the Irish Times ? Or am I way off there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

While the image is excellent, unfortunately it is our policy not to pay for any images.

That's an awful attitude on their behalf, definately wouldn't allow the use of the image.... unless they maybe offered to link back to your website or give details on how people could order prints from you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

Without sounding overly pessimistic, there is a 99.9% that nothing would come out of a link / credit that's of any use to you.

I don't think you should feel a need to be polite about their "policy" of not paying for images, on the contrary, I think you should be extremely offended about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I think you should let the matter rest and not let it upset your (or their) Christmas. Your terms v their terms aren't compatible. Simple as that. Enjoy Christmas knowing that you don't have to consider it further. It would be one thing less to worry about.

Any further communication to tell them how cr*p their policy on never buying images, at best would be met with stone silence, or at worst be met with a rebuke which wouldn't be very nice for either of you if they were that way inclined.

But if you let the matter rest, forget about it, safe in the knowledge that you haven't given any consent and that legally they can't use your image, then no harm done to anyone. Yer policies are simply incompatible.

btw - I feel your pain on this one. I just don't think it is worth getting into a row over. They will simply move on and find someone who will be chuffed to have been asked and bend over onto all fours while the paper does their worst to them... that's all that will happen.

Good luck no matter what you decide in going forward.

• Advertisement

Will think about the above suggestions and reply tomorrow. 6 months ago i would have been delighted to have been considered bent over, but not anymore :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Their forum isn't very good, banned me before I went in :(

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/forum/index.php
    Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

Anyone else get that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Anyone else get that?

Yup. It's probably a locals only thing based on a crude ban the entire interweb except for a limited range which covers their circulation district.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Borderfox wrote: »

LOL, maybe i should just send back that link!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Anyone else get that?

If you try a proxy server you might be able to access the forum! I googled for proxy servers and pasted the link above in and it let me see the site. I then clicked on the sports section and I could access that page no problem :pac:

Yeah I guess the attitude to photographers has deteriorated with the increase in the number of people that take photographs (at all levels) since the digital cameras took off...sucks but the amount of photographs that newspapers (locals) receive for free (e.g parents/coach of local sports team) must be very high and very prevalent these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

Borderfox wrote: »

Thats Brilliant :D reminds me of a conversation I had with someone from the gazette a while back LOL ;)

Advertisement