Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Currys! christmas rip off!

• 23-12-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Went into my local Currys, galway, 2 weeks ago to look for a new telly. Noted a few specs down along with the prices. A particular samsung lcd was 799euros.
    After researching it on the internet, reviews etc decided to go with that samsung. Went in yesterday to buy it.

I was shocked to see the price had gone up to 899euros!!
    asked the salesman what the story was, he said that was the price now, so tough!!needless to say i felt pretty annoyed and promptly left.

Im guesiing they upped prices this week to catch people out!

Avoid currys this week if you can!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They prob up them before the sales to make it look like a great deal after - incidently why would you not wait 3 more days and get a better deal again.

Seriously though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

dont worry i will!! i bet ya it will be back down to 799 tho!
    just giving others a heads up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What model and size was the TV?

Curry's is a right rip off along with PC World, got the Rockband game last week for €9.97 now up to €22.

Xbox 360 entertainment pack - one wireless controller & 2 games (Pure & Lego Batman) €129 :eek:, it's only €29 in Tesco, HMV looking €81.

it was a Samsung le37b651t
    799EURO 2 weeks ago
    899EURO yesterday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

Try richer sounds belfast, they deliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Just an FYI - the same thing happened to me w an lg 22" I had been looking at. They are definitely increasing prices in anticipation of the sale. However I walked a few stores up to their sister store PC World and they it had the old price! So defo worth checking in PC World...

checked pcworld as well, same story!
    gonna wait til the "sale"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Phibsboro wrote: »
    FYI, its £699 (say 780e) on amazon, free delivery to ireland...
    As RoI ain't in the UK... maybe not.
    k123456 wrote: »
    Was gonna say that :D

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-tv/samsung/le40b650/sams-le40b650

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭furiousox

k123456 wrote: »

Better still, try Currys NI

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Couple of things to note here. Im not sure of the exact time scale on this, but it is illegal for any retailler to up their prices before a sale and call it a sale.

Pc World may have had the old price displayed, but on their system it would have matched the Currys price. You could bring this to their attention and they would have to sell it to you at the lower price.

They will have some good deals on St Stephens day, but it may not be on that tv that you were looking at. The generally do it on selected items. Grab a paper and look through it, HN should have some good deals too along with DID.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

skelliser wrote: »
    checked pcworld as well, same story!
    gonna wait til the "sale"!

why on earth would you support a uk retailer who so blatantly tries to rip you off???
    You are going to wait for their sale and buy the TV in the same store that tried this lark???

Currys & PC World are the same company. they are over priced on 95% of what they sell. Same applies to Argos, debenhams, homebase & Halfords.

Go to DID / Power City or a local retailer - you'll get a better deal and a far superior service!

the_syco wrote: »
    As RoI ain't in the UK... maybe not.

Its all changed at Amazon, ROI not only gets all the electrical stuff they also now qualify for super saver delivery. I've ordered a few things from them in the last few months, all free delivery.

c

mcaul wrote: »

Go to DID / Power City or a local retailer - you'll get a better deal and a far superior service!

sorry but i went to the locals aswell, in did it was 150euro dearer then currys and the other smaller stores didnt have it at all and from what i could see they were selling tvs at pretty inflated prices.

I would like to support local shops but im not gonna get ripped off!

Its all changed at Amazon, ROI not only gets all the electrical stuff they also now qualify for super saver delivery. I've ordered a few things from them in the last few months, all free delivery.

c

Just to eat some humble pie here, that particular TV is not available in Ireland. In fact I now suspect that TV's in general don't ship to Ireland. I had been following an LG tv that was passing all geo requirements but I think now that was only because it was officially classed as a monitor with a TV tuner in it :(

Sorry for the bum steer ...

c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

skelliser wrote: »
    sorry but i went to the locals aswell, in did it was 150euro dearer then currys and the other smaller stores didnt have it at all and from what i could see they were selling tvs at pretty inflated prices.

I would like to support local shops but im not gonna get ripped off!

Shop I work in in sligo we have it at 699 in the sale

which shop is this?

Taheny electrical,model number is slightly different to yours its le37b652t4w
    might be a slightly higher spec model than
    Samsung le37b651t
    Or thats how the higher numbers generally work.

do ye deliver to galway!:)

• Advertisement

Not at that price man sorry.If you wanted to come down its yours!:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

do ye deliver to galway

What the answer should have been was..........."Yes...for a FEE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Just to eat some humble pie here, that particular TV is not available in Ireland. In fact I now suspect that TV's in general don't ship to Ireland.
    Could well be, UK TVs are generally UHF only while Irish TVs are UHF/VHF as we still broadcast on VHF in places.

Of course, if you're only ever going to watch stuff on satellite, that's not something that'd bother you. Cable subscribers may have varied results.

Advertisement