Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very tempted to get an iPhone, but is there any worthy competitor on the horizon?

• 23-12-2009 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an N95 8GB and I love it. Its solid and reliable, has good connectivity and a great camera and mp3 player. I've just noticed that I could get the 16gb iPhone for free on O2 if I upgrade my plan to the 350 mins a month. It's a good deal and I'm very tempted to go with it.

Although I'm very interested in the Nexus one due out in January, I wont be paying a lot of cash upfront to get it out of contract.

Is there any phone due out soon that would make me regret getting the iPhone? Having to use iTunes is off-putting, and I dont like the way Apple force you to do it their way but I think I could live with it.

Would appreciate your opinions :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

stebishop wrote: »

Thanks for the reply, any Irish carriers going to be selling this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

wouldn't even bother with the M900..it's getting crap reviews..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Android, WebOS and Windows Mobile are the only real competition I can think of at the moment. I dont think any of them can really hold a candle to the swishness and amount of apps the iPhone has. On the other hand though I think they have more potential as apple are so tight with there apps. Windows mobile is flaky compared to the new kids, but very hackable, and you can get all sorts of emulators and games for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Berkut wrote: »
    wouldn't even bother with the M900..it's getting crap reviews..

Whatever about the M900, what about the N900? :D

Seriously, I am thinking of getting one - can you link to a couple of bad reviews? Need to get the full picture before I spend the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Whatever about the M900, what about the N900? :D

Seriously, I am thinking of getting one - can you link to a couple of bad reviews? Need to get the full picture before I spend the money.

+1. Seriously thinking about buying one of these, i've heard nothing but good reviews so far, there's a couple of small bugs here and there, but other than that the reports i've read so far have been very positive. I'm still wary about spending 500~ on a phone without having seen one in the flesh yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Nexus One could be launched in January...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,443 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

It was just something I heard on the George Hook show..the tech guy was saying there was a few complaints on it..

regardless of what I think of the iphone it's still the only one really.
    Even with my N96/N97 I really want the iphone but the O2 pricing is madness

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

stebishop wrote: »

Its worth stressing that the N900 is NOT strictly a phone, rather its an internet tablet (google N770, N800) which in its latest evolution includes cellular functionality. Its an approach from another direction, running an actual linux based OS and appears to be getting great reviews for what it is. I picked up a cheap N770 before and its a great gadget for what it does. The only reason I'm saying this is that I keep seeing comments elsewhere about the N900 being "too big for a phone", "missing basic contacts functionality", etc etc....yes...because its not primarily a phone.

On the plus side, it has a great developer community behind it so there is and will be loads of open source software available for it, and I expect the phone functionality will be added to from all angles :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Berkut wrote: »
    It was just something I heard on the George Hook show..the tech guy was saying there was a few complaints on it..

Ah now. Seriously? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ah now. Seriously? :D

Where do they find these guys? Yer man on Matt Cooper is equally bad, not to mention the awful tech supplements you get in newspapers. Anybody who reads engadget or gizmodo would be better than them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

/Quietly mentions HTC Hero before slipping away into the night./

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

android android android! a candle to iPhone?? more like a blowtorch in its face! :D

seriously, try an android device - new ones are equiped with snapdragon (1ghz giddyup!) processors and are slick :) also using HVGA resolution which is a must for web browsing!

the nexus one looks like the dogs alright, I got me an Acer Liquid and loving it!

if you need a carrier I'd wait till they get some android devices with specs like I've mentioned above - otherwise get in the game and get one sim free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

dang dang dang!! looks like i'll be upgrading mine sooner than I thought!

check out this beast!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/23/exclusive-nexus-one-full-specs-detailed-invite-only-retail-sal/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

from the research ive been doing for the last month the N900 is the way to go its like the opposite of the iphone everything is open source, same processor as iphone 3gs and a ton of neat functions like fm transmittor mozilla browser etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

"missing basic contacts functionality", etc etc....yes...because its not primarily a phone.

Well it has everything that MS Outlook has for my contacts including addresses, postcodes, emails, multiple phone numbers and also integrated SKype so IM details for everything in one place for each contact. Basically, a big step up from what I have seen on Symbian, WIndows Mobile or iPhone. It will also pull in details rom Facebook and a other social networking services and update the proper contacts.

Better as a phone than Symbian was IMHO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Id also argue the iPhone isnt a pure phone, its an ipod with a cellphone built in, and a big one at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

seclachi wrote: »
    Id also argue the iPhone isnt a pure phone, its an ipod with a cellphone built in, and a big one at that.

Yes, but it has 35% less volume than the N900 brick, which is 18mm thick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

The HTC HD2 is probably the best looking and most advanced phone on the market in terms of pure technology. Despite my JUST getting an iPhone 3Gs I am eyeing this up far too much....and HTCs "sense" user interface seems to iron out all of the horrible bits about windows mobile.

Here's a really good, unbiased review:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Would the HTC Hero be a good alternative to the iPhone? I like the open source nature of Android and would prefer it to the iPhone..

Thanks for all your answers so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

IMO yes.
    John_Mc wrote: »
    Would the HTC Hero be a good alternative to the iPhone? I like the open source nature of Android and would prefer it to the iPhone..

Thanks for all your answers so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Elessar wrote: »
    The HTC HD2 is probably the best looking and most advanced phone on the market in terms of pure technology. Despite my JUST getting an iPhone 3Gs I am eyeing this up far too much....and HTCs "sense" user interface seems to iron out all of the horrible bits about windows mobile.

Here's a really good, unbiased review:

I'm loving my HD2, there is nothing the iphone can do that this beast can't do. I've installed fpsece 0.10 and can now play all my old PSX games!! :D and its free!

and here's another great free app Morphgear

Advertisement