Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Transfers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm not disputing his a class player. Just given we already have enough quality in that position (Modric, Kranjkar, Lennon) and our budget is extremely limited - I would rather use our limited resources to strengthen where we actualy need strengthening - IMO upfront, but we also need a commanding central midfielder and perhaps centre back cover as more of a priority than bringing in another Modric.

Modric can play as a Centre mid and Joe Cole has been played as a back up striker. I agree though, I would really like to see another out and out striker come in. Would love that to be Bellamy too. He could be just what we need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Kold wrote: »
    Modric can play as a Centre mid and Joe Cole has been played as a back up striker. I agree though, I would really like to see another out and out striker come in. Would love that to be Bellamy too. He could be just what we need.
    I'd love to see someone come in that was a better headerer of the ball a Toress or Drogba etc Crouch isn't very good in the air despite his hieght

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Joe Cole is a great player when fit, which has been a rare enough occurrence over the last few seasons. If the Chelsea transfer ban stands then Cole can name his price as they will really need him, so perhaps he is holding off signing a new deal until he sees how this plays out.

I don't think we need him anyway, with Niko, Luka and Lennon already here. If we were to fit him in it would probably be in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but that wouldn't really suit Defoe then as he plays better with a partner. I think we have greater needs than bringing in another attacking/wide player.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Joe Cole is a great player when fit, which has been a rare enough occurrence over the last few seasons. If the Chelsea transfer ban stands then Cole can name his price as they will really need him, so perhaps he is holding off signing a new deal until he sees how this plays out.

I don't think we need him anyway, with Niko, Luka and Lennon already here. If we were to fit him in it would probably be in a 4-2-3-1 formation, but that wouldn't really suit Defoe then as he plays better with a partner. I think we have greater needs than bringing in another attacking/wide player.

Could easily field a 4-4-1-1 and that might suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Kold wrote: »
    Could easily field a 4-4-1-1 and that might suit.

Not that much difference between 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1, either way you would have 3 out of Kranjcar, Modric, Lennon and Cole playing with 2 out wide and 1 in the hole. My point is that Defoe would be the lone striker in either of these formations and he is unsuited to that role.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

there will be none of these formations i would imagine. 4-4-2 is what harry likes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Latest is gio to gala on loan, and Pav to Birmingham.

I hope pav does well if he goes and I hope gio gos on loan and does really well and comes back and finally given a good chance.

I still think that when gio was taken off via shaktar in the uefa cup game at the lane it was because Harry was afraid he'd win it for us and we'd be stuck with another set of games we couldnt afrord to play ;p

Gio gone to Galatasaroy on loan.

I was thinking us putting a bid in for victor moses and doing a deal to loan him back to palace for the remainder of the season would be a great piece of business I don't think he'll cost to much and no one could argue moses getting more first team experience and Palace getting funds and not losing there striker who can help them stay in the championship? He's definetly one for the future

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Seems a bit odd to send him to Turkey. Surely we could've found a club near to London, at least in England, to send him to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Anyone hear the story today about Spurs being in talks with Gudjonson,seem he was in talks with Wetspam at first and we jumped in with a loan offer.Hammers are not too happy over it.:cool:

tippspur wrote: »
    Anyone hear the story today about Spurs being in talks with Gudjonson,seem he was in talks with Wetspam at first and we jumped in with a loan offer.Hammers are not too happy over it.:cool:
    Ya but then on the bbc sport site says we've been trying to make a deal for weeks and just upped it today:cool:

Tottenham look to have won the race to land Iceland international striker Eidur Gudjohnsen.
    The former Chelsea and Barcelona star had looked set to sign for West Ham, until Spurs made a late move for the 31-year-old.
    The Hammers have hit out at the late move from their London rivals for the forward, who is set to depart French club Monaco.
    But Spurs chief Harry Redknappspacer.gif insists that the player made a straight choice between the two Premier League clubs.
    "We've been talking about him for nearly two weeks and when we heard West Ham were interested we made our move," Redknapp told The Sun.
    "We are not paying a penny more than West Ham were offering him.
    "Two identical deals were on the table. In the end it was a straight choice for Eidur."
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11685_5889997,00.html

In other news Bently and Hutton are wanted by westham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Oh no please do not bring Kaboul back, we do not need him.

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Oh no please do not bring Kaboul back, we do not need him.

Dawson and Bassong are the only centre halves we have we can rely on. Harry was starting to get the best out of him at pompey, maybe he can make a player out of him.

Kaboul has done well at pompey,he never really got the chance to show what he could do at Spurs and we do need another CB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

wtf... gudjohnsen and kaboul ????? joke shop, thats all we are a bleedin joke shop. one player who was at the top of his game about 3 or 4 years ago and is now over weight and unsure of his position.... and another who was sold by the club because he was a disaster waiting to happen. id rather we didnt sign anyone tbh... both will prove less sucessfull than the wonderful captain of our country who has set the club alight the last 12 months.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

kaboul is a good player. he fell out with ramos and was shipped on. he forged a very good partership with sol at pompey

dawson will be the club captain next season, woodie will prob be retired and king will be pay as you play so we need another CB

with regards to gudjohnnson , he is a very versatile and intelligent player. he will hold the ball up and play good balls in to defoe. keane used be able to do this but cant anymore. its a loan deal and costing us very little so its a good move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

i like kaboul, seen him play some decent games with pompey, he's not the finished article but i think he could be a reliable centreback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

Wonder is there any truth in the rumours of Robbie going to Sunderland for £9m. I think it's a great deal if it happens. Robbie's past his best as a Spurs player I reckon.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement

Plenty of talk in the morning rags of keane to sunderland and us going after Foster. Quiet since then, so it looks like we might be finished doing business, unless harry pulls out something late on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spursanmhi

£9 million for keane. . id take it in a heartbeat. . all we need now is the same bid for jenas. . deadwood get it out for the run in. .:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

I think Kaboul is a good signing. He was never given a proper chance during his first spell at the club and it's great to have three good, young, quality centre-backs like Dawson, Bassong and Kaboul.

Gudjohnson I'm not to sure about! He did play well at Barca but not sure how he has done at Monaco!

Really not sure about letting Robbie go. I suppose cause he has played such a huge part in the team the last few years it's hard to see him move on but sure we have been there before eh!!!

I would be surprised if Foster came to the club cause surely he wants to move somewhere where he will be No. 1 and Harry would be mad to drop Gomes at the moment.

Lets see what happens!!!

According to SSN Sunderland say they have made no approach for Robbie Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Sligo Spur

the Spammers rumours are still there today bout Robbie too.. would suit da Missus..no move fro London to North again. I still expect him to finish playing at Celtic though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Sligo Spur wrote: »
    t I still expect him to finish playing at Celtic though!
    On his way right now, harry on sky sports news, expects the loan move to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 spursanmhi

im confused this morning we had three right backs now we hav one.keane is a broken man so we had to move him on.he'l probable get a bag full in scotland the football is so poor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭el diablo

spursanmhi wrote: »
    im confused this morning we had three right backs now we hav one.keane is a broken man so we had to move him on.he'l probable get a bag full in scotland the football is so poor
    A massive step down for Robbie. (Every Premier League reserves is higher standard than Scottish Premier). What's the point on sending him out on loan? Celtic would never be able to afford the transfer fee or his wages..

His career's over if he stays up there.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

spursanmhi wrote: »

I agree with you mate, Corluka is not in the best form and if he gets injured what happens then? Its crazy to ship two right backs out :confused:

• Advertisement

Yes strange that we have let to right fulls leave. I suppose Harry reckons Kaboul could cover there if needed, I think he played there for pompey a few times, or maybe even Jenas at a push :eek:

Advertisement