Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

most improved players of 2009

Options
  • 23-12-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

okay so chaps, im starting this thread in the lead up to the fulham game because at this game last year the wonderful and humble Hurelleo Gomes had a nightmare. BUT, since then i honestly think that he has reasured us all that he is worthy to wear the same jersey one adorned by the likes of jennings, brown, clemence etc... for me he has been the most improved player over the last calender year and for one hope he keeps up his form and stays here for many years to come.
    Honorable mentions also to Aron 'jazz hands' lennon, and of course our current captain the wonderful daws

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

IMO the most improved since last season would in the following order:-

Dawson
    Lennon
    BAE
    Gomes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

For me it has to be tom huddlestone. Gets around the pitch more, controls games and has learnt how to defend from centre mid.

However BAE and Gomes have improved considerably aswell i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

hudd?? you must be joking.

BAE for me hands down. one of the best left backs in the premiership now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

BAE has improved a huge amount. I wouldn't say he is one of the best left fulls in the league but he is improving all the time which is a positive.

Tommy H has improved too. Seems to be be more fit now than he ever has been, so we are starting to see the best of him. Although id still love to see us sign a top central player to compete with Wilson and Tom.

Gomes is doing well. I wont praise him too much, because we could put the mockers on him and he could drop a clanger over xmas so i'll say no more ;)

Lennon has always had it in him, but it seems like his confidence has grown. He is vital to us if we are to achieve any success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

BAE for me. has come on leaps and bounds!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭StillRickyVilla

I'll go for Lennon, those speedy runs now have an end product

mickman wrote: »
    hudd?? you must be joking.

BAE for me hands down. one of the best left backs in the premiership now

Why am i joking? The past 2/3 years hes been quality with the ball at his feet and time. But ask him to put a shift in and hed be hiding. Now hes starting to dominate games more and defend so much better. Hes gone from being a bit part UEFA cup player to one of the first names on the teamsheet in my opinion.

BAE, like another poster said, has improved a huge amount but evra, cole, clichy, baines, warnock, bridge and zhirkov are all ahead of him i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

MrKingsley wrote: »
    Why am i joking? The past 2/3 years hes been quality with the ball at his feet and time. But ask him to put a shift in and hed be hiding. Now hes starting to dominate games more and defend so much better. Hes gone from being a bit part UEFA cup player to one of the first names on the teamsheet in my opinion.

BAE, like another poster said, has improved a huge amount but evra, cole, clichy, baines, warnock, bridge and zhirkov are all ahead of him i think

Unfortunately, there are those that post here who will never see Huddlestone for what he brings to our game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

DEFOE:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Lennon and Dawson this season in particular. Also i agree BAE looks very assured at left back. I am also sorry to say that Hudd still frustrates me a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭yidweiser

Best improved is a tough one. Dawson has been immense. BAE class. Krancjar, great buy, as when we sell Bentley we wont see the 16m we paid! Poor oul Palacios, he's had a rough time but will bounce back. Lennon and Defoe electric. We can mix it now with Crouchie.
    But for me the Huddymonster is the main man. Getting the tackles in now and controlling the game. He has come on leaps and bounds. Midfield, where the game is won and lost.
    Have him in ahead of Jenas any day. English international, I don't think so! Great against the big teams but where is he when you play the likes of Bolton! Wouldn't tie the likes of Tim Sherwood's boots. C.O.Y.S. Have a feeling Villa bubble about to burst;)

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I am also sorry to say that Hudd still frustrates me a bit.

Thudds passing is still excellent and yes his workrate has increased slightly but...........his shooting has gone to pot. I don't know the stats but I'd reckon he has had more shots than any other player in the team but yet in 18 league games he's only scored once !

Goals to Game Ratio: Niko Kranjcar 1 in 3.25, Thudd 1 in 18

Now that's frustrating because the lad has a thunderbolt shot and previously was very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

The one lad that has made me eat my words is BAE.

I've thought Lennon was the best player at the club even when Berbs was with us, I reckon he's the most exciting player in the prem on his day.
    Gomes was woeful last year but you HAD to respect his record. He was going to come good.
    Hudd can't hit a barn door in present form.

BOLT wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there are those that post here who will never see Huddlestone for what he brings to our game...

I used to be one of those. I couldnt stand him starting in important league games in years gone by but since the first match of this season hes been dominant.

and to those bemoaning his lack of goals - his job as a relatively holding midfield is not to be scoring 1 in 2 games. Admittedly he could bang in a couple more but id still definitely rather see him winning the ball back in the first place as hes been doing this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

MrKingsley wrote: »
    I used to be one of those. I couldnt stand him starting in important league games in years gone by but since the first match of this season hes been dominant.

and to those bemoaning his lack of goals - his job as a relatively holding midfield is not to be scoring 1 in 2 games. Admittedly he could bang in a couple more but id still definitely rather see him winning the ball back in the first place as hes been doing this year

Hudd is too slow ..when modric is fully fit , my guess is 'arry will stick him in the centre with Palacios and Hudd will be left to warm the bench ...He's not a starter imo

Advertisement