Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas crowds

Options
  • 23-12-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the traffic and crowds like in Galway today? I still have a bit of shopping to do but the thought of being stuck in traffic all day is turning me right off. I heard it wasn't even moving half the time yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Its pretty bad alright, was out to SDS place to pick up package this morning and traffic was bad enough...mix that with lunch time rush and people comming into town after lunch to do shopping and its gets manic. Late night opening today though so most places open to 8 or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The N17 never seems to get quiet these days. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Ive pretty much warned anybody that has asked me to avoid going into the city if possible.

Crowds + bad road conditions + bad drivers + stress = You should stay at home.
    The weather has made this such a miserable Xmas so far.

LowOdour wrote: »
    Ive pretty much warned anybody that has asked me to avoid going into the city if possible.

Crowds + bad road conditions + bad drivers + stress = You should stay at home.
    The weather has made this such a miserable Xmas so far.
    I'll go to Tuam instead so.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Weather has been great imo, crisp and cold, just right for the season.
    Yeah, stay out of the city centre though for the shopping.
    Westside, Briarhill, Dunnes Knocknacarra, Oranmore, Tuam - all better for traffic and parking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I have to go in for my turkey. Ah nuts!

What are the footpaths like? Corrib SC carpark full?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

City centre footpaths are fine: the council had figured out what needed salt etc by yesterday morning.

I did Tesco on foot late this am: would normally be a 1:00 - 1:15 round trip (walk, shop, walk), today was more like 2 hours. There were some very stupid people in there (the ones who stopped for a conversation with someone in the middle of the main doorway really made my day :-( ). But the crowd wasn't quite as manic as I'd expected, and there were six mince pies for 50c, so I came out happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

took us 1 hr and 45 mins to get into the city from Tuam yesterday...not cool. I can only imagine today being worse...

screw that, Tuam it is. Don't know what I'll get, have to get for the sister and her boyfriend. The boyfriend doesn't drink so I'm not sure whats left to buy in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was in town yesterday, every single car park full. And this was during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Worse today than yesterday, wait till 7pm and it will quieten down so you can do the supermarkets this evening if you must.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭bloo

towns orrible, very crowded. stay away! id say itl be packet till late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Anyone using the Park n Ride?
    From listening to a few friends who used it yesterday, they say its brilliant.
    You zoom into Eyre Square in no time at all, waving at all the muppets (including me) sitting in traffic for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

Don't use the tuam rd roundabout - headford rd roundabout dual carraigeway. You will be sitting pretty for a good 45 minutes.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are plenty of Garda about today at key junctions in case they need to direct traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Im currently using the Park and Ride and there seems to be lots of people doing it. Took half hour to get to town at 14.30 and Im sitting on the bus waiting to head out to the racecourse now. A lot less stress I have to so. Worst bit of traffic was from the actual racecourse onto the briarhill roundabout..that took 10mins. I gotta say while I love having my car in town to hop into, it really is too manic and parking is a nightmare. Park and Ride..e2.

Advertisement