Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options
  • 23-12-2009 2:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Just to avoid confusion with the current situation in the other thread I think next week's potential cold deserves it's own at this stage because it is looking like a potent cold spell of weather beginning after St Stephen's Day.

Christmas Day and St Stephen's Day will be slightly milder days then what we have now. Though still cold it won't be quite as cold and it will be wet at times. After St Stephen's Day the signs are increasingly pointing toward a return of what could, potentially, be an even more serious run of events as we head to New Year with East or Northeasterlies setting in. Also a major snow event could occur this time next week. But it's too early to be specific.

Rtavn1681.png

Bitter Northeasterly winds

Recm1681.gif

So basically turning colder again from St Stephen's Day. More Later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i know it's more than likely subject to change but the gfs showed the cold lasting right through to the early days of january and possibly beyond. of course when the atlantic oscillation thingy(nao) finally goes back into positive terrirtory we've more than likely had it. it's just a question of when that happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

In a general sense there is no end in sight to the pattern. HP remaining to the North. LP to the South and East. So it looks good for the cold to continue for a good while longer. I say "good" but also there are some people like the elderly and drivers (even pedestrians) for whom this is not very good at all. A thought should be spared for those directly adversely affected because it really is not very nice for some people. I don't mind the snow myself (At least your unlikely to fall and break your neck) but the very icy conditions are lethal. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z GFS throws us an easterly too :

25umy5x.png

12Z GFS throws us an easterly too :

25umy5x.png
    Thats a master Easterly-it would have everything.
    low 850's,lowdp's and plenty of near gale force precip.

The cynic in me thinks though that even if that trend continued,all we'd end up with is a slack flow with pressure too high and 850's of -5 or so and thickness around 530...

And after that easterly, a snowy northerly....deep in FI...

2qdy2du.png

• Advertisement

i prefer this chart myself:)

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=13232952581162e4584162b4898469ff58416294&dopsig=c87239c65d22ce685601923c312d3fb7

we could be talking about organised snow showers if this comes off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

we could be talking about organised snow showers if this comes off.

Would you define the word 'organised' as used in this context please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Would you define the word 'organised' as used in this context please.

well i could be wrong, but going by the chart above me, we could be talking about prolonged showers in the north and north west, and, unlike the previous cold period, the showers could be more widespread across the rest of country. the ideal scenario for widespread heavy snow across ireland is a polar low. in that situation we don't usually have to worry about the snow turning back to rain or sleet as it spreads southwards

Latest UKMO chart

Rukm1441.gif

The madness starts on Monday :P

Won't happen folks.
    It's well into the believe it when I see it territory.

As I said you'll be disappointed.

• Advertisement

Won't happen folks.
    It's well into the believe it when I see it territory.

As I said you'll be disappointed.

Oh I know its FI, the best charts are always in FI. :pac:

Oh I know its FI, the best charts are always in FI. :pac:

and sometimes dreams do come true:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Leeside

I've spent the bones of three weeks following threads suggesting snow just might be on the way. I've yet to see even one flake. However, I'm prepared to wait another while. As nacho libre says "sometimes dreams do come true"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

and sometimes dreams do come true:)

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

bring on the dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

I'm also in the 'believe it when I see it' group.

Following this current spell, as a Dub, has been draining. I never knew there were so many ways for it *not* to snow in the east when it was cold. :D

Perhaps this is the reason we love snow so much - we see so little of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Well Ididn't see a flake of snow, but I live in hope for next week.

PPVO89.png

Wibbler wrote: »
    I'm also in the 'believe it when I see it' group.

Following this current spell, as a Dub, has been draining. I never knew there were so many ways for it *not* to snow in the east when it was cold. :D

Perhaps this is the reason we love snow so much - we see so little of it.
    Actually all that went wrong today was the wind came in off the warm sea.
    Our weak cold pool hadn't come from the east in the first place so the air abovethe irish sea was too warm.
    Last week it was a different story as there was a cold originated feed into the irish sea which is why the east wind that time gave snow.

Edit:

Oh and the other thing that went wrong was I predicted snow for irish1 aka villian in Tullow.
    That usually calls the warm air like a good clairvoyant does ghosts ...

FI continues to toy with a northeaster this morning for late next week followed by a straight northerly.
    Leaving aside the fact that it's FI and likely not to happen [except in the UK] it's absolutely useless for most of this country.
    Sleety showers in the East briefly followed by a dry cold northerly away from the north coast.

ECM fi is toying with variations on a similar theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

metcheck cooks up this little fantasy for next year:

99888.JPG

whey-hey ...a Fantasy Island blizzard :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Have to say I like this chart (ECM 120hrs)

99890.gif

Looks like a really raw winter's day over Ireland. Brrrrrrrr.

h850t850eu.png?dopvhost=charts.netweather.tv&doppl=307d80897b4ed3927b1ed3c2aadbd8897b1ed326&dopsig=435dc378e8a95eed4e03f7865ed57995

:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I cant see this working out after the current cold spell, I never knew there was so many ways to prevent it snowing in the east of Ireland till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Gonzo wrote: »
    I cant see this working out after the current cold spell, I never knew there was so many ways to prevent it snowing in the east of Ireland till now.

I guess that pre Internet it often went that way even in the less snow starved parts of the 20th century. The ready access to satellite, model and radar output has revealed just how tricky it is for all the pieces of the jigsaw to fall into place for us.

Have to say I like this chart (ECM 120hrs)

99890.gif

Looks like a really raw winter's day over Ireland. Brrrrrrrr.
    Is that not just recirculating air from Biscay though?
    Biscay is hardly renowned for being a source of snow.(sorry I'm snow starved since the beasterly's fleeting visit last week and feeling the effects of it)
    In fact if that low would just feck off southwards,we'd have proper low dewpoint air from the North east :)

Gonzo wrote: »
    As I said in the other thread,we're an island in the atlantic.
    What we have now are 2 things,the weak remains of atlantic maratime [slightly] modified polar air and a still athmosphere at a time when the nights are at their longest.
    Considering we are as far if not further north than Boston [I think] then still nights with that mass,a very very cold night can make.
    Bring in the atlantic fronts though and it's swept away after a short time.

Bring them in against a stiff prolonged northerly or a Beasterly and you have a january 1982 scenario.
    Very very rare due to geography unfortunately.

Is that not just recirculating air from Biscay though?
    Biscay is hardly renowned for being a source of snow.(sorry I'm snow starved since the beasterly's fleeting visit last week and feeling the effects of it)
    In fact if that low would just feck off southwards,we'd have proper low dewpoint air from the North east :)

Possible major snow event in the making there. Those fronts to the Southwest will be coming up against cold air to the North. The LP should slide under Ireland from there as the colder air brushes up against it. Classic widesread snow situation. Where the uncertainty is is how far North the Precip will be

gens-0-2-138.png?6

UKMO has it slightly further North. ECM has it slightly further South (though the precip still reaches Leinster). I predict this forum will light up the closer we get to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Considering we are as far if not further north than Boston [I think] .

Try Edmonton, Canada for size :D

possible cold rain event too dm2 and going on recent events probable.
    Wheres the cold air coming from? And how cold?

That chart you show with the lines idicating snow...wasn't there one of them posted the other day sub 48 for yesterdays non event?

No major grounds for optimism.
    Bring on a proper beasterly I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

People forget how far north we are cos of the gulf stream, next stop is not Boston - its Cartwright, Labrador

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement