Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I'm confused:confused:

what has george michael got to do with the upcoming cold spell:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

just heard the radio forecast there, Evelyn was saying that the precipitation will make it over much of of Connacht with only Ulster remaing dry. so that's definitely a change from what they were saying earlier.
    what was the earlier forecast saying nacho? what did she say about precip type and timeline of same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

MUSEIST wrote: »
    :D <-he looks like the smiley here

LOL! Good spot! :D:D:D

Jean Byrne on the 9.30pm TV forecast also mentioned the possibility of this rain band reaching South Connacht and North Leinster.

We await the reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Jean Byrne on the 9.30pm TV forecast also mentioned the possibility of this rain band reaching South Connacht and North Leinster.

We await the reality.

Rain band? George Michael? Missing data?

• Advertisement

We await the reality.
    here is the forecast. very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gartan Lake in Churchill, Donegal was frozen today affecting water supplies. Snow levels are back to pre Christmas day levels.

Thawed a bit yesterday and today but -2 here now. Roads lethal.

Tbh, nearly at the stage of not wanting more snow, got my white Christmas and it snowed Stephens' morning too. Hope ye in the East get it though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    what was the earlier forecast saying nacho? what did she say about precip type and timeline of same?

well, just that the precipitation would be over munster and parts of Leinster for Tuesday and part of Wednesday before sliding southwards. as you mentioned earlier the ideal scenario would be for the front to get stuck as the cold air gradually undercuts the warm air. this would ensure that those who suffered the torture of rain at first would at least see snow for a good while before a clearance set in .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

K-9 wrote: »
    Gartan Lake in Churchill, Donegal was frozen today affecting water supplies. Snow levels are back to pre Christmas day levels.

Thawed a bit yesterday and today but -2 here now. Roads lethal.

Tbh, nearly at the stage of not wanting more snow, got my white Christmas and it snowed Stephens' morning too. Hope ye in the East get it though.

is it high ground where you are?

those who suffered the torture of rain .

worse than waterboarding in guantanamo imo

• Advertisement

Rougies wrote: »
    Rain band? George Michael? Missing data?

Nothing unusual here,

all in a typical days model watching:D

here comes the first signs of that front from the south. Looks to me as if it might be pushing up earlier than expected. it could also be bands of showers ahead of the main front of course
    3hr-rain.gif

Does anyone else know what 1ml of rain corresponds to as snow?

For example, I always thought 1ml of rain was 1cm of snow:confused:

the reason I ask is because metcheck are predicting 40 ml of precipitation for me (image 40 cm of snow:eek:)

here comes the first signs of that front from the south. Looks to me as if it might be pushing up earlier than expected. it could also be bands of showers ahead of the main front of course
    3hr-rain.gif

Not really Wolf, the isobars on that chart are in intervals of 1.0mb, making it look more impressive than it is. Just look at the darker 4mb lines, and t'wlll show that everything is going according to plan (whatever that plan is)

i looked at this last week, one inch of rain is about 10 inches of snow. therefore, 1ml of rain is 1 cm of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Not really Wolf, the isobars on that chart are in intervals of 1.0mb, making it look more impressive than it is. Just look at the darker 4mb lines, and t'wlll show that everything is going according to plan (whatever that plan is)

What exactly do the darker lines indicate?

Well in these painfully uncertain model watching days, we can all take find solice in George Michael:

Ok, I just got it :o

But seriously......:rolleyes:

Rougies wrote: »
    Ok, I just got it :o

But seriously......:rolleyes:

i still dont get it ,,what am i missing:confused:

i looked at this last week, one inch of rain is about 10 inches of snow. therefore, 1ml of rain is 1 cm of snow.

Depends on the type of snow. Dry fluffy big flakes snow vs. wet slushy muck vs powder snow....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

There was a fascinating programme on earlier on more 4 i think it was, about the snowstorm in england in february 2009, it showed footage of the winters of 47 too and other cold winters. It was something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

the reason I ask is because metcheck are predicting 40 ml of precipitation for me (image 40 cm of snow:eek:)

There is no hard and fast rule , light cold snow could equate to 10 times its volume uncompressed, but much more likely in Ireland - wet snow far less than that.
    Even 40mm of precip in dry cold snow would probably only equate to 25 cm or less more than likely due to compression, sublimation etc.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

malman wrote: »
    What exactly do the darker lines indicate?

The standard synoptic isobar reading. Usually that is in increments of 4mbs. 1000mb/1004mb/1008mb etc. Used in most weather charts. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

thanks. i think i need to educate myself a bit more on how to read charts. i find it interesting but what you just said went straight over my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

is it high ground where you are?

About 500 feet here, Gartan lake maybe higher.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

i still dont get it ,,what am i missing:confused:

You'd have to have visited Tuam at least once to get it ;)

malman wrote: »
    thanks. i think i need to educate myself a bit more on how to read charts. i find it interesting but what you just said went straight over my head.

Sorry about that. :o. This chart:

091227_1200_12.png

is showing the exact same pressure field over Ireland as Wolfe's Hi Res Chart. The pressure lines (isobars) are in incrememts of 4mbs in the abover chart, which makes it easier to read. The darker lines in Wolfe's chart are what is being shown above regarding pressure gradients. The lighter ones just show more detail in 1.0mb steps. :)

night fellas. Hopefully, we will be celebrating some upgrades in the morning. My guess is that there will be snow on, at least, the backend of this front as it retreats south on wednesday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Was looking forward to snow for ages in the east and went home to Donegal for Christmas and we got it. It snowed even more on Christmas day. Here's the proof:D

dscf0050xp.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Was looking forward to snow for ages in the east and went home to Donegal for Christmas and we got it. It snowed even more on Christmas day. Here's the proof:D

dscf0050xp.th.jpg

I hope to post something similar by Thursday :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I hope to post something similar by Thursday :)

I doubt it. There won't be any visible fences in your location by Thursday :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement