Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

"The great white siberian army is coming from the northeast"

The UK is facing further cold, wintry weather as it moves towards New Year's Eve and a cold start to 2010, forecasters said.

Tiffany Curnick, from Meteogroup, the weather division of the Press Association, said:

"From Wednesday onwards northerly and north-easterly winds will sweep the country bringing snow showers everywhere. Those showers could come in land anywhere really.

"So, by the time we get to New Year it looks like it will be cold everywhere with snow showers,especially around all areas exposed to the north and north-easterly winds.

PS I've nicked the title from a post from Black Briar, simply brilliant.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

GFS has not sided with the euros again,its still bloody drunk(i hope)
    Still bringing low farther north.

EDIT;Actually it's pure SH1TE

DOUBLE EDIT;its just so wrong,it has to be,don't make sense,thats it im blanking it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep.... but this only sinks in when you are at the mercy of the reality of it

Else it remains a beautiful dream with no hard edges!

Ah dream on while we deal with being marooned in a sea of ice! Cold beauty...
    Min wrote: »
    It is horrible weather for some people, I mean dangerous roads, risk of falling and breaking something, farming.
    That really cold frosty weather with ice and frozen water pipes is no fun.

Jean was talking about night temperatures of -10 or lower for the second half of the week.
    Ice is no fun when you have to work in it, too scary.

Young person; your posts are very hard to understand. I am sure your teachers would be sad to see the way you write and have maybe taught you better?
    owenc wrote: »
    erm no im near coleraine in the countryside and coleraine is a good 10 miles inland around 13 miles but we dnt get effected like the sea like other coastal areas because we are north facing and climbing up a mountain have you been?

• Advertisement

Ah well.. I am well stocked and have a knitting order to work on, and a book to write, so that is fine.... Let come what comes..
    you'll start getting snow again if the wind goes northerly on Thursday as it's progged to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Another cold one here this morning, -4.7c. Off to work now, havent started my car up since last monday, should be interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looking at the various 00z forecast models, the prospects vary from some scattered snow and sleet (GFS) to an all-out snowstorm developing (UKMO) ... it all depends on the intensity of low pressure and how well it holds to an organized E-NE wind field across Ireland next 2-3 days.

With the depth of cold being reported this morning, I have the feeling that the snowfall forecasts should be taken seriously, the maps showing a deeper low and more organized circulation look more credible in the situation.

This could mean snow developing late today and spreading north through tonight and Tuesday, to cover much of the country on Wednesday, and this may just be part one of a two-phase snowfall event as sea effect increases by New Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looking at the various 00z forecast models, the prospects vary from some scattered snow and sleet (GFS) to an all-out snowstorm developing (UKMO) ... it all depends on the intensity of low pressure and how well it holds to an organized E-NE wind field across Ireland next 2-3 days.

With the depth of cold being reported this morning, I have the feeling that the snowfall forecasts should be taken seriously, the maps showing a deeper low and more organized circulation look more credible in the situation.

This could mean snow developing late today and spreading north through tonight and Tuesday, to cover much of the country on Wednesday, and this may just be part one of a two-phase snowfall event as sea effect increases by New Years.

Shouldn't this have its own thread so? There were thousands of posts leading up to Christmas for what turned out to be snow for less than half the country and probably about 25% of the posters :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Wow, MT first thing I did this morning was log on to see your forecast. I hope you are right, but at the same time, met eireann need to be getting off their fence and issuing a warning. I don't think that the GFS is right either.

Our frost this morning is very severe, just like Christmas eve, around -3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Siutation this morning is absolutely fascinating

As short as T+42hrs we have huge differences

GFS stubborn with Low pushed well up over Ireland.

UKM has tended slightly towards GFS but still has low much further south.

ECM has absolutely none of the GFS trending with the low well to the south.

Unbelievable differences at such a short distance.

6z GFS and all the model runs in the coming 24hrs will be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ah I think the models just hit the Brandy too much over the xmas, I just hope the GFS is the one who drank he most and when its sobers up it comes more in line.

At this stage I'm tending to the rain with the Low too far north because well thats what usually happens, really hope the 12z GFS makes a big U-Turn

BBC news 24's forecasts this morning are downgrading the snow potential from this weather system tonight and tomorrow over Ireland.
    Looking at their latest maps ,it will turn to snow eventually in most places but only as it pushes south but it will be a mostly rain event except well inland and on high ground for the most part.

Certainly,going on their indications,you wouldnt be expecting any disruption from it in the Dublin area.
    On that basis,it's right that Met Éireann should mention the risk but specefic weather warnings can wait untill late tonight or tuesday as they may not be needed.

The cold following the system seems delayed by the system itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Joe Bastardi European Blog
    Joe Bastardi's Europe Column
    [FONT=helvetica,arial]POSTED: 10:43 p.m. December 27, 2009[/FONT]

[FONT=helvetica,arial]The thoughts expressed in this column represent Joe Bastardi’s personal interpretation of the weather pattern formulated from his expert analysis of the conditions affecting the weather in Europemag-glass_10x10.gif. This discussion is usually updated Weekly (sometimes several times during the course of the week) so please check back often!
    Joe's column and graphics are © AccuWeather, Inc. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited.
    [/FONT] </FONT itxtvisited="1">
    DEC 28 3 AM LONDON TIME
    MAJOR SNOWS FOR NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ENGLANDmag-glass_10x10.gif PRECEDE ARCTIC SURGE INTO EUROPE.
    Much of England from Manchester north, and much of Ireland is in for a major snow later tonight through Wednesday as a storm cuts across the south of england with major warming south of the path and much colder air coming in behind it. By the New Years, arctic air will be on the move and most of Europe north of 40 north will turn frigid Jan 1-10. In fact for the northern hemisphere, this could be one of the coldest openings for land dwellers since the 1970s with the far east and much of the US sharing in the arctic attack.
    There is an interesting model debate here as the track is forced further south with time, but suffice it say this is the first volley in the return of winter. We told you it would warm up for a time, but the post back on Thursday or Friday ( the one before the post below) was a warning shot from me that the first 2 weeks of the new year will see a resurgence of the cold, even worse for much of the continent and I see now reason to back from that now.
    Its a heck of ride worldwide ciao for now ****

Yea the UKMO Fax has the 528 line much further North now, its not good this morning and looks like it could be another let down

brack1.gif

Villian, that fax chart is not the worry at all.

It would give snow, precip would only just reach Dublin though.

The main thing is to see that the Fax has sided witht he ECM mostly.

GFS is entirely different... awaiting 6z updatenow.

major let down I think so far on the 6h GFS :(

Still a Downgrade though WC and its all trending the wrong way

The 6z has trended slightly south and may be the beginning of its move.

Could be huge falls of snow in some locations.

However i have never seen marginality like this before watching the models, just crazy stuff.

Elmo5 wrote: »
    major let down I think so far on the 6h GFS :(

Did you see the 0z!!?

Have you seen the ECM/ UKM

The 6z is a movement towards the ECM output which has ben staunch and consistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Could someone give me a few links to the charts that you all use please, Sorry if this has been asked before!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't understand met eireann sometimes - u watch their forecast on tv and they go on about snow for cork and then you look at their website and they barely mention it! What's up with that?!:mad:

Did you see the 0z!!?

Have you seen the ECM/ UKM

The 6z is a movement towards the ECM output which has ben staunch and consistent.

Sorry I should have waited until model had run a bit more! Wednesday-Friday looking much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking Cold for the future!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Published at 09:00 on 28th December