Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I would expect the Met to issue a warning this evening at some point. It is very much warranted.

Serious situation on the arklow-gorey bypass now.
    A bus has overturned on sheet ice and one of the ambulances going to the scene also overturned onto its side.
    I don't know how many have been injured.

A woman has been killed also in a car crash on the ice also on the gorey by pass this morning.
    I've been hearing the sirens for the last hour or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I would expect the Met to issue a warning this evening at some point. It is very much warranted.
    I await that warning with considerable excitement!;)

A bus has overturned on sheet ice and one of the ambulances going to the scene also overturned onto its side.

A woman has been killed also in a car crash on the ice also on the gorey by pass this morning.

God that's awful. With all our excitement about this possible snow event you forget that the roads are lethal.....hopefully no one has been killed in that accident with the bus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

I was giving out here last night about the Bray & Arklow Bypass nt being gritted... Its the same every single year. In all the years I lived in Gorey I could have counted the times on my hand they gritted it.. God help those poor people.. Fingers crossed for them....

( My bambinos went to Gorey & need to get thme home me thinks before the snow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

baraca wrote: »
    Could someone give me a few links to the charts that you all use please, Sorry if this has been asked before!

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

why do some cc's have to wait until a serious incident occurs rather than being proactive:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

I still reckon most if not all of the country will see snow as that front retreats southwards. Either way, i go along with weathercheck and think it is more likely than not that this is shaping up to be a significant snow event. Models are falling into line with each other for such an eventuality.

met.72.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

oh dear:(

I noticed that the Arklow bypass was stated as "frost" this morning.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Doyler1981

Weathercheck, how do you see this one going? is it likely to be rain for half the country and snow for the other half?

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    I still reckon most if not all of the country will see snow as that front retreats southwards. Either way, i go along with weathercheck and think it is more likely than not that this is shaping up to be a significant snow event. Models are falling into line with each other for such an eventuality.

met.72.png

yes i think it's safe to say most places that start off seeing rain will see snow as the warm air gets its ass handed to it by the white siberian army:D

of course the optimum scenario would be an all snow event but the ideal situation is rarely realised on this island

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

yes i think it's safe to say most places that start off seeing rain will see snow as the warm air gets its ass handed to it by the white siberian army:D

of course the optimum scenario would be an all snow event but the ideal situation is rarely realised on this island

can ni expect much snow xc weather going for a bucketfull! or can we just expect really cold weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Met Eireann are locked in rain, sleet and snow over hills mode. Perhaps in a frontal situation like this, the somewhat warm SSTs will harm rather than help us with this. But then strong winds would counteract this...

Still can't imagine a whiteout happening in Dublin tbh, but a weather warning should still be issued IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

why do some cc's have to wait until a serious incident occurs rather than being proactive:mad:

I dont know.. but the 2 /3 councils in particular here spend their time arguing over who is respionsible for that piece of road... We couldnt walk up the drive here at 9pm & when I checked NRA Bray & Arklow & Gorey were moist but not treated...... Moist =wet=ice when frozen. How much warning did they need !!!
    About 6 yrs ago ex was driving home from work with eldest - he was about 3 months - Arklow bypass ungritted & went straight through the middle part ended up on other side -

Since then I get quite angry when I hear these things

Baraca - this is a good site too. http://wxmaps.org/pix/euro.fcst.html

These charts for 850mb Temperature, Relative Humidity & Winds on wed and thur give further creedance to the suggestion that snow will be seen on the backend of this front as it retreats south.

euro4.48hr.png
    euro4.72hr.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

I don't know how many have been injured..

One fatality unfortunatley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I know, I know, metcheck - don't trust it, however in their manual part rather than computer generated forecast they issued a severe weather warning which includes parts of Ireland.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp
    Outbreaks of heavy rain and freshening east/south-easterly winds will move into the southwest of England and Ireland during Monday night and into Tuesday, before slowly moving further north and east to affect Wales, the Midlands, East Anglia and southeast England on Tuesday.

As this rain runs into colder air over parts of Wales, Ireland, the Midlands and western England it is expected to turn to snow during Tuesday, especially over higher ground above 200m.

There is the potential for some disruptive snowfall developing across central and western areas during Tuesday and into Wednesday with between 10 and 20cm of snow falling in some parts, and as much as 40cm over high ground. This snow will also drift and blow around in the strong winds.

owenc wrote: »
    can ni expect much snow xc weather going for a bucketfull! or can we just expect really cold weather?

ulster may well remain dry for this, but you will get snow if the winds go northerly on Thursday

• Advertisement

Min wrote: »
    I know, I know, metcheck - don't trust it, however in their manual part rather than computer generated forecast they issued a severe weather warning which includes parts of Ireland.

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/warnings.asp

God Min that sounds heavenly but will it happen? We'll just have to wait and see....:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

ulster may well remain dry for this, but you will get snow if the winds go northerly on Thursday

ok thanks as long as we get days below 1c and mins below -4c im fine!:D

A few people will like the latest updated Beeb forecasts!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I would expect the band to be around 50/80 miles further north than that taking into consideration for GFS etc.

Because the difference between that forecast and the 6z GFS forecast is just unreal really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Is there any chance of snowfall in the far west ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jenzz wrote: »
    I was giving out here last night about the Bray & Arklow Bypass nt being gritted... Its the same every single year. In all the years I lived in Gorey I could have counted the times on my hand they gritted it.. God help those poor people.. Fingers crossed for them....

( My bambinos went to Gorey & need to get thme home me thinks before the snow)

My Parents moved down there a few years ago ,and it always surprised the way the roads on the route down were not gritted properly , or not at all in some cases.

I have had a few hairy moments myself down the years!

Hopefully nobody has been too badly injured.

Edit : Just noticed on another post that there has been one fatality, somebody needs to be held accountable for this as another needless loss of life on our roads.

Even if the roads had been gritted this accident still could of happened , but im sure that the not gritting the road was a contributory factor.

Very sad.

met.ie
    Freezing fog and icy conditions in many areas this morning will just slowly clear during the day as easterly winds freshen. Most areas will stay dry today with sunny spells but there will be further showers in parts of Donegal and later rain or sleet will develop over parts of Kerry and Cork. Temperatures today in the southwest of 6 to 8 degrees, elsewhere after a very severe frost this morning maxima will only be zero to 4 degrees.
    Tonight

Cloudy and windy tonight over Munster and south Leinster with outbreaks of rain or sleet and temperatures here of 1 to 5 degrees. Breezy with clear spells elsewhere and minima of +1 to -3 degrees with a sharp frost in sheltered areas.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will be a very cold, raw day. Ulster will be dry with sunny spells; mostly cloudy elsewhere with outbreaks of rain or sleet and snow over the mountains.

Outlook

Our weather is going to going to stay very cold through to the first week of the new year with northeasterly winds coming right down over Ireland from Polar regions. Mean air temperatures will be running about 3 to 7 degrees below average and the ground will continue frozen in parts of midlands, the northwest and north. Wednesday: A very cold, raw day with strong easterly winds producing considerable wind chill. It will be mostly dry over Ulster with some watery sunshine but generally cloudy and rather grey elsewhere with outbreaks of rain in the south turning to sleety snow in parts of Connacht and parts of Leinster. This precipitation is set to clear away southwards again Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Thursday (New Year's Eve) and Friday (New Year's Day): Very cold and raw. Becoming mostly dry with good sunny spells over Connacht and Munster; some sunny spells over Ulster and Leinster but a scattering of heavy wintry showers will occur and there is also a risk of thunderstorm activity. Strong northeasterly winds will ease and severe frosts will persist away from northern and eastern coasts.

Fionagus wrote: »
    Is there any chance of snowfall on the far west ??
    yes. there remains a chance of snow everywhere. The midwest and west, particularly above 200m but at lower levels also, will see snow if these the forecast is not downgraded between now and tomorrow eve.

A few people will like the latest updated Beeb forecasts!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

I would expect the band to be around 50/80 miles further north than that taking into consideration for GFS etc.

Because the difference between that forecast and the 6z GFS forecast is just unreal really.

Oh my god Weathercheck is that a big huge blob of white i saw over Cork on that bbc forecast??! I think SO!:D

met.ie
    Freezing fog and icy conditions in many areas this morning will just slowly clear during the day as easterly winds freshen. Most areas will stay dry today with sunny spells but there will be further showers in parts of Donegal and later rain or sleet will develop over parts of Kerry and Cork. Temperatures today in the southwest of 6 to 8 degrees, elsewhere after a very severe frost this morning maxima will only be zero to 4 degrees.
    Tonight

Cloudy and windy tonight over Munster and south Leinster with outbreaks of rain or sleet and temperatures here of 1 to 5 degrees. Breezy with clear spells elsewhere and minima of +1 to -3 degrees with a sharp frost in sheltered areas.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Tuesday, will be a very cold, raw day. Ulster will be dry with sunny spells; mostly cloudy elsewhere with outbreaks of rain or sleet and snow over the mountains.

Outlook

Our weather is going to going to stay very cold through to the first week of the new year with northeasterly winds coming right down over Ireland from Polar regions. Mean air temperatures will be running about 3 to 7 degrees below average and the ground will continue frozen in parts of midlands, the northwest and north. Wednesday: A very cold, raw day with strong easterly winds producing considerable wind chill. It will be mostly dry over Ulster with some watery sunshine but generally cloudy and rather grey elsewhere with outbreaks of rain in the south turning to sleety snow in parts of Connacht and parts of Leinster. This precipitation is set to clear away southwards again Wednesday night/Thursday morning. Thursday (New Year's Eve) and Friday (New Year's Day): Very cold and raw. Becoming mostly dry with good sunny spells over Connacht and Munster; some sunny spells over Ulster and Leinster but a scattering of heavy wintry showers will occur and there is also a risk of thunderstorm activity. Strong northeasterly winds will ease and severe frosts will persist away from northern and eastern coasts.

That was updated at around 5am, hardly relevant now.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Oh my god Weathercheck is that a big huge blob of white i saw over Cork on that bbc forecast??! I think SO!:D

those bcc forecasts have been very inaccurate at medium to longe range forecasts Leahyl. I see they are indicating dry conditions for Limerick and Galway, more or less all week.

They change every few hours to the absolute opposite of what they were before. Expect that Met Eireann severe weather warning by 9pm today. You might be pleasantly surprised.

The next run at 3.30pm is the most criticial and will indicate whether we will be throwing snowballs at each other or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement