Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    yes. there remains a chance of snow everywhere. The midwest and west, particularly above 200m but at lower levels also, will see snow if these the forecast is not downgraded between now and tomorrow eve.

Fingers crossed so!! I've been surrounded by a snow shield for years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Baraca - this is a good site too. http://wxmaps.org/pix/euro.fcst.html

Thanks wolfe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

those bcc forecasts have been very inaccurate at medium to longe range forecasts Leahyl. I see they are indicating dry conditions for Limerick and Galway, more or less all week.

They change every few hours to the absolute opposite of what they were before. Expect that Met Eireann severe weather warning by 9pm today. You might be pleasantly surprised.

The next run at 3.30pm is the most criticial and will indicate whether we will be throwing snowballs at each other or not.

This is the video forecast i'm talking about now wolfeIRE - Are you talking about the same one?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

That was updated at around 5am, hardly relevant now.

yes, it will keep changing i guess;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

leahyl wrote: »
    This is the video forecast i'm talking about now wolfeIRE - Are you talking about the same one?
    Sorry leahyl. thought youy were speaking about the charts at http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209/.

yes the video weather for tomorrow does look very promising for the southern half of the country. I think you will get your snow - most likely later tomorrow eve or early wednesday morn. do not think it will snow tomorrow AM or early PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yes, it will keep changing i guess;)

They seem reluctant to update it yet :D

Maybe they are waiting to watch the BBC weather forecast around 1pm to see!!

yes i bet they are waiting and then they are gonna smack us with a HUUUGE weather warning!!:D

it really is a tricky situation for them. if they get caught out people will complain, if they ramp it up another set of people(us) will complain if it turns out to be a damp squib.:D

Issued at 28 December 2009 - 12:24
    Weather Advisory

Rain and sleet will extend northwards overnight and on Tuesday with a risk of snow especially on high ground.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

THIS IS THE FIRST WEATHER WARNING.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Hmmm, hate to put a damper on things guys but all I can see in the offing is two days of rain. Hope I'm wrong, but a 6 degrees here in Cork right now it'll take a serious drop in temp before we see anything white!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Issued at 28 December 2009 - 12:24
    Weather Advisory

Rain and sleet will extend northwards overnight and on Tuesday with a risk of snow especially on high ground.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/warnings.asp

THIS IS THE FIRST WEATHER WARNING.

What a pathetic warning.

No regions mentioned, nothing! What a cop out.

alfa beta wrote: »
    Hmmm, hate to put a damper on things guys but all I can see in the offing is two days of rain. Hope I'm wrong, but a 6 degrees here in Cork right now it'll take a serious drop in temp before we see anything white!

It will happen alfa beta - us corkonians are due our snow;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

I'm supposed to be driving from Wicklow to Cork tomorrow - any sugggestions on whether this is dangerous/fine? I've been told to leave it but from reading some posts here, things don't seem as bad as others are making them out to be. What do you think? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

alfa beta wrote: »

It's only 0.5C here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I will remind you of this post when your water pipes are frozen and the house flooded and you cannot get out for days and weeks on end! ;)

I have a few Blue Stack photos but no idea how to upload them.. And am not good at tech stuff

They are probably not up to the standard here, but they show the mountains and snow.

Yay! Bring it on!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

NEWS AND WEATHER ON RTE 1 12.55

Dreadful; and this also has come in..

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/ireland/two-crashes-close-m11-in-co-wexford-439841.html

It is lethal indeed out there; please all take care.

Serious situation on the arklow-gorey bypass now.
    A bus has overturned on sheet ice and one of the ambulances going to the scene also overturned onto its side.
    I don't know how many have been injured.

A woman has been killed also in a car crash on the ice also on the gorey by pass this morning.
    I've been hearing the sirens for the last hour or two.

well that was a crap weather forecast for Cork - looks like rain all the way...sigh....:(

but obviously i don't want weather that causes accidents like the one above -very sad. Take care everyone on the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

Will we see some snow in dublin tomorrow?

They are covering their backs; do you folk remember the Michael Fish episode way back?
    What a pathetic warning.

No regions mentioned, nothing! What a cop out.

• Advertisement

ME did not issue a weather alert on the 1pm news, which I find incredible considering the forecast clearly indicates a relatively extended period of snow for some. Looks good for middle third of country and higher ground in south. Any rain will turn to snow as it retreats southwards as well.

the UK MO have a considerable weather warning in place (edit netweather)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alert;reg=7

here is UKMO warning
    Weather Warning
    Monday 28 December

EARLY WARNING

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of Wales and central England. Periods of sleet and snow will spread from the south during Tuesday and are likely to persist well into Wednesday. The snow will be heavy at times with drifting likely in strong easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions over hills.

Areas around east Wales and the West Midlands will be worst affected, where 10-15cm of snow is likely widely with 25cm or more possible over high ground of Wales.

Disruption to transport and power supplies is likely

Further updates will appear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Looking at the charts I don't think we'll get snow where I am, but anyone a good bit inland will get it Tuesday night Wednesday morning. The latest run this afternoon will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭chris2007

its all gone foggy here now

It is indeed a two edged sword.

But sheerly beautiful; the dogs keep sliding today.. Legs going everywhere.. So undignified!
    well that was a crap weather forecast for Cork - looks like rain all the way...sigh....:(

but obviously i don't want weather that causes accidents like the one above -very sad. Take care everyone on the roads

the radio forecast at five to 12 seems to be following the gfs predictive sequence in terms of how far north the system will go. Gerry Murphy indicated snow being confined to the mountains and hilly areas until wednesday, then at this stage snow at lower levels is likely in the midlands and east connacht and parts of Leinster.
    He also seemed to be suggesting the system is going to stall for a time before eventually clearing southwards so many places that see rain will surely have the pleasure of snow for a time before a clearance sets in. i think we can take it as red that this will not be an all snow event at lower levels. which is a great pity for two reasons: road conditions and for those of us who love the sneachta

ME did not issue a weather alert on the 1pm news, which I find incredible considering the forecast clearly indicates a relatively extended period of snow for some. Looks good for middle third of country and higher ground in south. Any rain will turn to snow as it retreats southwards as well.

the UK MO have a considerable weather warning in place (edit netweather)

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alert;reg=7

here is UKMO warning
    Weather Warning
    Monday 28 December

EARLY WARNING

There is a high risk of severe weather affecting parts of Wales and central England. Periods of sleet and snow will spread from the south during Tuesday and are likely to persist well into Wednesday. The snow will be heavy at times with drifting likely in strong easterly winds, leading to blizzard conditions over hills.

Areas around east Wales and the West Midlands will be worst affected, where 10-15cm of snow is likely widely with 25cm or more possible over high ground of Wales.

Disruption to transport and power supplies is likely

Further updates will appear here.

I know met eireann are acting as if it's nothing major....they'll have egg on their faces if what ye are forecasting here actually happens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

They really seem to be looking at this very tamely.
    Big mistake i fear.
    No red triangles,nothing.
    Well my own warning is pretty much all high ground in southern parts seeing accumulations,extending to lower levels as cold really cuts in.

1195442352382851478zeimusu_Warning_sign.svg.hi.png&usg=AFQjCNHd-9Cmtihs8DoFmXedrV8dCLJ96w

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

-1 here, possible ice day on the cards. Everything is white from frost.

the latest sat24 radar is interesting. shows the low to the south intensifying and the low to the NE moving further south. this is what we need for widespread snow to occur. the further south that NE low moves the more likely we are to see the easterly winds having an effect on the rain band.
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=8&sat=ir

this satelitte run also puts us in a situation we haven't seen in ireland for some time. The potential for snow is significant. I know ME are the experts here so I am confused as to why they are not stressing the potential of tomorrow's weather more.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement