Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

joe bastardi - I think that parts of England and Ireland are going to get a major snow the next few days

Go Joe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Raining here in Loughlinstown and 3.5 hours to sun-down.
    What's the expectation for tonight in terms of temperatures?
    I can't see this drying out much before then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Kippure wrote: »

Yes Joe is watching this like a hawk.
    He's fairly good at predicting set ups like this,plus remember this is not a shot in the dark for what could happen 2 or 3 weeks away,This all starts tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    joe bastardi - I think that parts of England and Ireland are going to get a major snow the next few days

Go Joe:D

In all fairness his winter forecast has been bang on for us. As he said the real cold doesnt come till around the 3rd of january and its meant to be harsh and last for at least 2 weeks. Then it becomes less cold.

• Advertisement

redsunset wrote: »
    Yes Joe is watching this like a hawk.
    He's fairly good at predicting set ups like this,plus remember this is not a shot in the dark for what could happen 2 or 3 weeks away,This all starts tomorrow.

He has the eagle eye on this one. This setup reminds of 95 or 96 when a small lp turned up the irish sea and plastered dublin out of it. Its very much a now cast.

I,m wondering whats the story with the gfs at the moment. The ecm seems to be on the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    the latest sat24 radar is interesting. shows the low to the south intensifying and the low to the NE moving further south. this is what we need for widespread snow to occur. the further south that NE low moves the more likely we are to see the easterly winds having an effect on the rain band.
    http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=ir&type=loop
    image.ashx?country=gb&type=slide&time=&index=8&sat=ir

this satelitte run also puts us in a situation we haven't seen in ireland for some time. The potential for snow is significant. I know ME are the experts here so I am confused as to why they are not stressing the potential of tomorrow's weather more.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

good assessment Wolfeire. as you say if the ne air can has an influence quicker than projected and the front stalls then it would be snow heaven for some snow addicts.
    perhaps met eireann have access to data we can't see(well of course they do:o) i just hope their data is misleading them and we end up with 4-5 inches of snow at lower levels across much of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

I have been following this thread for a couple of days now, its all very interesting, but what I want to know is what are Kilkennys chances of seeing some snow? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

He has the eagle eye on this one. This setup reminds of 95 or 96 when a small lp turned up the irish sea and plastered dublin out of it. Its very much a now cast.

I,m wondering whats the story with the gfs at the moment. The ecm seems to be on the money.
    gfs was messed up and had errors last night and seemingly again this morn. The 3.30pm run will tell all, especially if they are in line with the UKMO and ECM models. I recknon there will be more agreement. I cannot see anything but snow for much of the middle third of the country in particular.

ME have not updated their online weather forecast since before 6am which is unusual. underlines how much of a nowcast situation it is. Small fluctuations in air mass, track of southerly front and northern low, and of course dew points can change things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Johnny
    What estate are you living in so we can then narrow it down further lol :D

• Advertisement

This setup reminds of 95 or 96 when a small lp turned up the irish sea and plastered dublin out of it. Its very much a now cast.
    It's not comparable in terms of the potential depth and length of this cold spell if it goes ahead like some met people think.
    Look at the fetch right into siberia.
    I'll tell you one thing ,if the wind comes from that direction more or less continously for a few weeks -you'll know all about it at sea level..

I've just heard a 2nd person has died from the bus that overturned near Gorey :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still think so far this will be very marginal along the east coast with many areas seeing a sleety mix rather than snow. I think the main areas at risk for lying snow would be Wicklow Mountains, Offaly, Westmeath, western Kildare, western half of Carlow, Laois, North Tipperary etc. I think low lying regions of Wicklow/Wexford as well as all of Dublin, most of Co. Meath and parts of Co Louth will see mainly rain/sleet/snow mix with nothing major lying on the ground. Cork/Waterford and Kerry should remain much milder than the rest of the country till about Wednesday evening/Thursday. I really hope im wrong and that we'll see 6 inchs of snow in most places including Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I've just heard a 2nd person has died from the bus that overturned near Gorey :(

Oh no that's awful. Lets hope the roads clear up a bit - must be a nightmare for people who have to travel.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

What a pathetic warning.

No regions mentioned, nothing! What a cop out.

:D

Frost is slowly clearing here, a bit slower than expected. Temp currently a cool 0.3c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Council inundated with road and water problems

Donegal County Council is being inundated with reports of problems as a result of the cold spell, with water supplies and road conditions causing concern.

We’ve had reports of two county council gritters going off the roads this morning in South West Donegal, and effortsare being made to get a truck with essential supplies such as milk and bread to a community in the glen of Glenties, which has been totally cut off for a number of days.

There have also been reports that the council is running low on supplies of salt and grit. A senior engineer confirmed to us today that there are supply issues, but roads will be gritted this evening and tonight, and fresh supplies are due in tomorrow.

Meanwhile, as problems with water supplies are reported around the county, householders and keyholders
    are being urged to check unoccupied houses and premises for burst pipes and if necessary, shut off and drain the water system.

Mayor Cllr Brendan Byrne says the water department is under severe pressure, but crews are out in force today. Senior Executive Engineer Con Mc Laughlin says some of the major problems are being experienced in areas serviced by Lough Mourne, and also in East Inishowen, particularly in the area from Redcastle to Ishkaheen

The county council’s emergency numbers are under severe pressure, people are being urged to be patient. if they are trying to report faults.

The numbers are 074 91 72288 for the roads service, and 074 91 72399 for the water service.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2009/12/28/council-inundated-with-road-and-water-problems/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The cloud has taken over here, all frost/ice on the roads should have gone locally as temps rise from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

BBC NI today forecasted snow for southern Ireland i.e midlands, southern Galway etc while North of Ireland would remain dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sounds about right.....

quote=Pangea;63678644]

Donegal County Council is being inundated with reports of problems as a result of the cold spell, with water supplies and road conditions causing concern.

We’ve had reports of two county council gritters going off the roads this morning in South West Donegal, and effortsare being made to get a truck with essential supplies such as milk and bread to a community in the glen of Glenties, which has been totally cut off for a number of days.

There have also been reports that the council is running low on supplies of salt and grit. A senior engineer confirmed to us today that there are supply issues, but roads will be gritted this evening and tonight, and fresh supplies are due in tomorrow.

Meanwhile, as problems with water supplies are reported around the county, householders and keyholders
    are being urged to check unoccupied houses and premises for burst pipes and if necessary, shut off and drain the water system.

Mayor Cllr Brendan Byrne says the water department is under severe pressure, but crews are out in force today. Senior Executive Engineer Con Mc Laughlin says some of the major problems are being experienced in areas serviced by Lough Mourne, and also in East Inishowen, particularly in the area from Redcastle to Ishkaheen

The county council’s emergency numbers are under severe pressure, people are being urged to be patient. if they are trying to report faults.

The numbers are 074 91 72288 for the roads service, and 074 91 72399 for the water service.
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2009/12/28/council-inundated-with-road-and-water-problems/[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

I see the rain from that front has reached the south west coast. Will be interesting to track its progress...

It's not comparable in terms of the potential depth and length of this cold spell if it goes ahead like some met people think.
    Look at the fetch right into siberia.
    I'll tell you one thing ,if the wind comes from that direction more or less continously for a few weeks -you'll know all about it at sea level..

True, this could be a long cold period. Northerly or north easterly in fetch

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    I see the rain from that front has reached the south west coast. Will be interesting to track its progress...

That is for sure, but it will be a very slow progress, typical of the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Johnny1999 wrote: »
    I have been following this thread for a couple of days now, its all very interesting, but what I want to know is what are Kilkennys chances of seeing some snow? Thanks

Probably depends on how high up you are in Kilkenny, some say if you are over 200 metres you will see snow, 220m here so will see when it happens, I am getting in my food supplies in case.

However I wouldn't be surprised as the colder air moves in that snow would transfer to lower levels.

I think it might be time to open up a new thread to deal with the upcoming situation. Weathercheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Johnny1999

Min wrote: »
    Probably depends on how high up you are in Kilkenny, some say if you are over 200 metres you will see snow, 220m here so will see when it happens, I am getting in my food supplies in case.

However I wouldn't be surprised as the colder air moves in that snow would transfer to lower levels.[/quot

I am close to the city centre, its been mad icy here for days, as it has for the rest of the country. Just love the snow and want to build a snowman with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Pangea wrote: »

http://www.highlandradio.com/2009/12/28/council-inundated-with-road-and-water-problems/

We have no water for 36 hrs now. Just bought a gas heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

Not a chance of snow in South Kerry. Have had no frost now for days and its 5C+ warmer than most parts of the country:(. Just more rain on the way so!

ch750536 wrote: »
    We have no water for 36 hrs now. Just bought a gas heater.
    I've had to leave taps running here overnight and most of the morning-otherwise we'd have no water either.
    It's hard on the pump and electricity but shur what can you do?
    Ya can't be without water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I've had to leave taps running here overnight and most of the morning-otherwise we'd have no water either.
    It's hard on the pump and electricity but shur what can you do?
    Ya can't be without water.
    I have been leaving the tap running for the last week. I know if I take a chance the pipes will freeze. It is really the only option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Carry on in here for anything on the upcoming low to the south:)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780845

And this one for any developments of the cold spell in the future towards the new year
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780845

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement