Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Great ECM run today. Love this chart in particular:

100039.gif

Raw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

can you explain the legent on the rhs of that chart,

dont fully get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

so according to jean, Mike65 may see some snow on tuesday or Wednesday and it will stay cold at least until January the second.:P

gally74 wrote: »
    can you explain the legent on the rhs of that chart,

dont fully get it?

Not sure what you mean Gally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

legend on right hand side?

• Advertisement

forkassed wrote: »
    legend on right hand side?

Oh right! The contours just represent temps at 500mb height. General rule of thumb is the higher they are, the higher and more stable the airmass and surface pressure will be.

the legend 476 to 600?? is it pressure>

thanks,

the weather at 1.30 was quite good, she defiently warned people and said it would be bitterly cold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The models taken together are so far still inconclusive about Tuesday and Wednesday but the risk of snow is definately increasing. The model runs this evening will be decisive I think in really getting a grip as to the exact timing of the Snowfall. The UKMO has widespread snowfall to most by Tuesday night. The temperature and precip charts back this up

U72-594.GIF?27-06

U72-580.GIF?27-06

Max of 2 - 3C on the coast. Colder inland. So even on coasts sleety stuff should occur on Tuesday night with snow elsewhere.

Up to midnight 26th December, Temperatures around Ireland are close to 2.0c below the December 61-90 normal.

• Advertisement

Great ECM run today. Love this chart in particular:

100039.gif

Raw!
    If charts like that are still verifying by jan 5th with no let up,the East will be paralyzed..
    Jean did what she needed to do in that forecast.
    Theres a lot of understandable fence sitting in what must be the biggest and potentially most serious for some initially and most eventually now cast of recent decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Kippure wrote: »
    Man that was some dress, Holy lord, She is hot. The whole famailly were stunned and silenced when she was on.

Is that the green dress?

If not, anybody got any links where I can watch? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

yep tonights runs will be decisive. so everybody fare for the worst(assuming the worst is snow being confined to higher ground till the backend of the front as it slides south)

that said i have some confidence as the bbc chart precipitation tends to be fairly reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

If this comes off, will it be an East coast mainly even with rest of country staying dry/cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dfbemt wrote: »
    Is that the green dress?

If not, anybody got any links where I can watch? :p

www.rte.ie/player I'd say

that said i have some confidence as the bbc chart precipitation tends to be fairly reliable.
    It's a forecaster blend of all models so very reliable as to their current thinking.
    Professional thinking.
    that thinking may change if data changes so not cast in stone.

Absolutely fascinating to the point of riveting even if it ends up for many being a prolonged rain event with just back edge snow.

If you want to see the bbc forecast that I summarized,it's usually up on TWO before the end of the day.

(I'm avoiding TWO at the moment as I believe it jinxes snow for me.
    I avoided it completely last february and look what happened :p)
    Their chart pushed the northern boundary up as far as the dublin meath border and across to Galway with a fairly quick change to snow inland on the 30 miles northern edge of the precip away from the coast..

We shall see.

What dm2 posted regarding UKMO progged irish sea 2m temps at 4c,I hadnt seen before I posted my cautions on this last night and it's clear they are factoring that into the bucket for the graphics they put over Ireland.

I doubt there'll be much snow on the east coast if the current m2 irish sea temp is correct :pac: it says it's 69.9c lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Local word up here is that we will get hard frost and heavy snow.

This was "the boys" ie the old men, who so kindly pushed my wee car back after an abortive attempt to go out for supplies. We got out of the gate and then no further; the roads are the worst they have ever been and even the 4 wheel drives are crawling along; it rained last night then froze, but it has been noticably milder today.

They were headed for mass in a convoy of 4 cars, but apparently did not get there..

Some of the snow has gone, but still a thick layer up here; looks like we will miss out on it next week?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Graces7 wrote: »
    Local word up here is that we will get hard frost and heavy snow.

This was "the boys" ie the old men, who so kindly pushed my wee car back after an abortive attempt to go out for supplies. We got out of the gate and then no further; the roads are the worst they have ever been and even the 4 wheel drives are crawling along; it rained last night then froze, but it has been noticably milder today.

They were headed for mass in a convoy of 4 cars, but apparently did not get there..

Some of the snow has gone, but still a thick layer up here; looks like we will miss out on it next week?

is it falling as rain or snow up with you? falling as rain here feels really warm outside but is 3c lol

Graces7 wrote: »
    looks like we will miss out on it next week?
    Not necessarally.Though to be honest no one knows beyond even 36hrs now except that the probability of cold enough for snow for the foreseeable is very high..just not totally certain.
    At one point the winds veer northerly before backing easterly again which could bring you more snow showers on new years day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

cant see this event tue/wed giveing anything but rain
    looks like thursday before it's going to be anyway near right for snow
    imo
    im not being a scrooge just let down to many times and trying to be realistic

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

metcheck who i normally never believe are calling it rain all week for Dublin and rain for meath up till wednesday with a marginal mix of rain, sleet and snow from wednesday onwards. This could well turn out to be true. Im not entirely confident of snowfalls either considering the way the last cold snap turned out with many areas seeing 0C and cold rain during Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thankyou.. I know now what I am up against and have my second wind!

Never before in a long life in cold lands have I got stuck like today. As kids we would have revelled in sliding on the ice here; what a find such things were.

Sheet ice solid and white. Along miles of road.

Interesting days ahead! :) And now I have the camera working again.

Not necessarally.Though to be honest no one knows beyond even 36hrs now except that the probability of cold enough for snow for the foreseeable is very high..just not totally certain.
    At one point the winds veer northerly before backing easterly again which could bring you more snow showers on new years day.

Ignore metcheck always.
    Theres no doubt this will start as rain if it comes up.
    Question is will or rather when and where will it turn to snow.

the risk is there and yes it could be an all rain event but I'm doubting that at the moment.
    The UKMO have been wrong before and right before so who knows.
    Let us know either way if the rain turns to snow in meath :) or if and when the precip gets that far north.

If this comes off, will it be an East coast mainly even with rest of country staying dry/cold?

More a southern/South eastern half of the country event I would guess. There does seem to be a reasonable chance of blizzard conditions on high ground in the SW (Kerry, Cork etc) during this event. Not I week I would go climbing in to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

and there i was thinking of heading out next weekend to do a bit of hiking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

12z more in line with other models.

Shows a extreme borderline situation.

Could be tonnes of snow or tonnes of rain.

and there i was thinking of heading out next weekend to do a bit of hiking.

Next weekend is looking drier, but that is not set in stone yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I agree it could go either way looking at it this far out,however i feel high ground needs an early warning advisory now.

Parts of the south west,midlands,dublin and wicklow mountains,basically splitting the country in half ,could see huge accummulations up there.

Just my opinion of course but looking very likely so if it were me i'd be stocking up just in case

For the weather system yes.
    I don't like -5 850 temps.
    -8 850's maybe -7 are part of the usual jigsaw.
    Anything is possible.
    We'll see.

• Advertisement

wow...
    I can see why the met office forecasters on the bbc are getting excited!

look at this !

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UN120-21.GIF?27-17

Now I'll take that sorce any day,its a bitter bitter tap of air :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement