Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

UKMO quite good this evening but it does have the precip further south for Tuesday and Wednesday. However it's after that that cathes the attention

96hrs
    UW96-21.GIF?27-17

120hrs
    UW120-21.GIF?27-17

144hrs
    UW144-21.GIF?27-17

That's a fairly sustained Easterly with a nice fecth aswell from somewhere in Siberia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

just about to go sub zero here for the 1st time in 2 days (Currently 0.9c), i cant see the snow coming, perhaps cold nights and days but only rain im afriad. the atlantic is far too warm. when we had rain christmas afternoon it was -3c, so if it rains at that temp here, well, ive never seen anything like it. Still have 2cm's sheet ice on the estate here.

If thats to be...I can't wait to see Ian mckelwee [spelling] next time he does bbc weather.
    Those charts would put several inches at sea level in the east

If thats to be...I can't wait to see Ian mckelwee [spelling] next time he does bbc weather.
    Those charts would put several inches at sea level in the east

Unfortunately we don't have access to temperature charts at that range for the UKMO. Id hazard a guess that upper temperatures would be around -8 generally. Doubt the -10 gets in. But that would still be cold enough for snow on coasts. It's a good source but whether the extreme uppers get here in time no one knows. ECM will be interesting this evening. GFS also gives an Easterly blast after 168hrs bit it's consistency has really gone to crap these last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

wow...
    I can see why the met office forecasters on the bbc are getting excited!

look at this !

http://www.meteociel.fr/ukmo/run/UN120-21.GIF?27-17

Now I'll take that sorce any day,its a bitter bitter tap of air :)
    wow lol , trying to find ireland was like trying to find wally , with all that cold air in the way :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Better looking charts this afternoon.

I'm a little peeved by this situation. I haven't really seen synoptics like the current ones before. So I can't really guess what the next progression is. I feel that a lot of the "downgrade" charts are really rationalisations and normalisations by the models. But the rest of the output seems too good to be true in a lot of ways also:p

So, will the LP track low enough to allow siberian air flood across the north sea and UK? What's going to keep that polar frontal jetstream to the south...

GFS Control run at 120hrs

gens-0-1-120.png?12

Nice fetch of cold air on that aswell.

Spain will be enjoying typical Irish weather this week :P

its freezing hard here now, my car is frozen over and air temp is .7c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »
    its freezing hard here now, my car is frozen over and air temp is .7c

lucky you its been roasting here since saturday night around 1-3.5c the whole time now 1.3c and dropping seriously feels like 15c! cannot wait to we get below -0c again!:D

owenc wrote: »
    lucky you its been roasting here since saturday night around 1-3.5c the whole time now 1.3c and dropping seriously feels like 15c! cannot wait to we get below -0c again!:D

Roasting? thats possibly the coldest place in Ireland since Friday? today was the warmest day here since Monday, 3.7c.

• Advertisement

Roasting? thats possibly the coldest place in Ireland since Friday? today was the warmest day here since Monday, 3.7c.

well you have not been in the cold air that we have been in on saturday our max was -4c and min was -10c or so now its 3.5c so that is roasting for us... friday? we had -4c maxes then!

well you have not been in the cold air that we have been in on saturday our max was -4c and min was -10c or so now its 3.5c so that is roasting for us... friday? we had -4c maxes then!

Tue, wed, thurs, my max was -4c. Friday it started to rise. we had minimums of -11c here for 2 nights on the trot, so i would say clairemorris was in the cold air! i would say you are well inland from colraine to have temps like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

UKMO 12z 96hrs in Wetterzentrale format:

100055.gif

Looks bitter.

Tue, wed, thurs, my max was -4c. Friday it started to rise. we had minimums of -11c here for 2 nights on the trot, so i would say clairemorris was in the cold air! i would say you are well inland from colraine to have temps like that?

erm no im near coleraine in the countryside and coleraine is a good 10 miles inland around 13 miles but we dnt get effected like the sea like other coastal areas because we are north facing and climbing up a mountain have you been?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Freezing hard here, roads are already like glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Temps dropping here as well from high of 6 C to 1.3 C atm

erm no im near coleraine in the countryside and coleraine is a good 10 miles inland around 13 miles but we dnt get effected like the sea like other coastal areas because we are north facing and climbing up a mountain have you been?

lived in portstewart for quite a few years, so yes i know coleraine mate!

.3c now here in mayo, grass is now re frozen!

On the other side of the spectrum, I live 20 miles from the sea and am influenced by it 99.9% of the time!

On the other side of the spectrum, I live 20 miles from the sea and am influenced by it 99.9% of the time!

Possibly he is NE facing, we on the other hand have everything thrown at us from the west! I hate the Atlantic sometimes!!!!

lived in portstewart for quite a few years, so yes i know coleraine mate!

.3c now here in mayo, grass is now re frozen!

interesting you are from portstewart? anyway we are below the mountain going over to limavady and coleraine isnt that close to the sea! would being on the eastern side of a mountain have an effect?

• Advertisement

interesting you are from portstewart? anyway we are below the mountain going over to limavady and coleraine isnt that close to the sea!
    No mate i lived in Portstewart, lovely place. i know where you are mate. No worries. Anyhow, we are going O/T.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Interesting to see 850hpa temps will be warmer over Greenland than Ireland on Thursday. :)

091227_0000_108.png

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Interesting to see 850hpa temps will be warmer over Greenland on Thursday. :)

091227_0000_108.png
    Thats what we want.
    Plenty of Waa up there to keep that high going and pushing/squeezing the cold down the other side of the pole via siberia and moscow towards us :)

On the subject of synoptics-these types of charts were common in the 80's and always delivered snow and low dewpoints to coastal parts of the East.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Graces7 wrote: »
    Local word up here is that we will get hard frost and heavy snow.

This was "the boys" ie the old men, who so kindly pushed my wee car back after an abortive attempt to go out for supplies. We got out of the gate and then no further; the roads are the worst they have ever been and even the 4 wheel drives are crawling along; it rained last night then froze, but it has been noticably milder today.

They were headed for mass in a convoy of 4 cars, but apparently did not get there..

Some of the snow has gone, but still a thick layer up here; looks like we will miss out on it next week?

you'll start getting snow again if the wind goes northerly on Thursday as it's progged to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

several factors to consider for tuesday and Wednesday:

1 How far North is the front going to go? The bbc don't know yet
    2 How much influence is the easterly going to affect temperatures?
    3 The further north the front goes, the risk of snow increases for lower ground inland
    4 Will the NE kick in sooner and stifle the front or will it allow the front move more as bit further north before being pushed southwards? the bbc weather still think its too early to call.

Really good ECM tonight. Northeasterly and sleet and snow primarilly in the East but in other places at times too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

darkman2 wrote: »
    Really good ECM tonight. Northeasterly and sleet and snow primarilly in the East but in other places at times too.

hey Darkman - any charts for us to look at:D

Seems to be an enhancement of that shallow Scandinavian low on tonight's ECM for next weekend:

100057.gif

Very rare to have a low moving down from the northeast, but that chart has the potential to bring a fabled type snowfall.

May be dropped in later runs, but something to keep an eye on next week. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

just came off the main sligo charlestown road, deadly tonight, snow has still no melted here,

i just hope no one gets killed, at least next week people arent at work etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

jenzz wrote: »
    hey Darkman - any charts for us to look at:D

Here's todays countryfile from the BBC for the week ahead.ENJOY.

http://www.youtube.com/user/terratec365#p/a/u/0/HWp1AKCvzeM

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement