Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-Christmas Cold Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

darkman2 wrote: »
    Really good ECM tonight. Northeasterly and sleet and snow primarilly in the East but in other places at times too.

it would be good if we could get a sustained eastlery out of it rather than two-three days. still some of you might be sick of snow by sunday week:)

redsunset wrote: »
    Here's todays countryfile from the BBC for the week ahead.ENJOY.

http://www.youtube.com/user/terratec365#p/a/u/0/HWp1AKCvzeM

thanks a lot. let's see what it says:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

it would be good if we could get a sustained eastlery out of it rather than two-three days. still some of you might be sick of snow by sunday week:)

Peoples like me ???:D:D:D:D:D

Muchos Grasias

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Freezing hard here, roads are already like glass.

Confirmed here too, deadly roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Three days of snow here - nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Entire ECM run tonight maintaining the cool theme right throughout, although with the increased possibility of minor less cool sectors sneaking their way in over as times (such as the present one), but all in all, great to see some 80's type charts being thrown out in 2009!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

I'd be happy with one days snow so i would. That BBC weather looks very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

What did the weather after the 6pm news say?

That BBC vid looks very good! their website still says heavy rain though.

Elmo5 wrote: »
    What did the weather after the 6pm news say?

That BBC vid looks very good! their website still says heavy rain though.

jean had big red triangles all over the screen.... I was too busy trying to figure out WTF she was wearing tonight ............... tin-foily bits all over her

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

big red triangles is good for snow, right? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

gally74 wrote: »
    just came off the main sligo charlestown road, deadly tonight, snow has still no melted here,

i just hope no one gets killed, at least next week people arent at work etc.

Oh gods, have to drive from Sligo to Clare for a wedding tomorrow night. Any chance of a sudden thorough thaw guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

fozzle wrote: »
    Oh gods, have to drive from Sligo to Clare for a wedding tomorrow night. Any chance of a sudden thorough thaw guys?

No chance sorry.

Elmo5 wrote: »
    big red triangles is good for snow, right? :D

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Wow!! Ive just seen the video and it show a complete whiteout in my area, and I also seen the rte forecast from Jean and I was very impressed with her forecast, could this be the dream ive been waiting for years, a frontal system stalling over us bringing continueous heavy snowfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ccoyle

Mai roads lethal letterkenny area . It could be nasty for some.
    Temp 3 c on car really misleading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It is horrible weather for some people, I mean dangerous roads, risk of falling and breaking something, farming.
    That really cold frosty weather with ice and frozen water pipes is no fun.

Jean was talking about night temperatures of -10 or lower for the second half of the week.
    Ice is no fun when you have to work in it, too scary.

Seems to be an enhancement of that shallow Scandinavian low on tonight's ECM for next weekend:

100057.gif

Very rare to have a low moving down from the northeast, but that chart has the potential to bring a fabled type snowfall.

May be dropped in later runs, but something to keep an eye on next week. :)
    I remember in january '87 one.It brought snow all the way from Dublin to Valentia co Kerry where it exited into the atlantic.
    I vividly remember listening to the met Éireann forecast on the day and the max in Dublin was -2c and it was referred to as the warmest capital that day in Northern Europe..
    There was no WWW at the time so all you could do was watch the BBC forecasts.
    There had been a solid week of snow showers prior to that giving a couple of inches cover in Dublin.Then I saw Ian McCaskill on the weather on the BBC one lunchtime news pointing out the low and showing the fronts with it.I'll never forget his memorable words..he said "The great white siberian army is coming from the northeast" :D
    It sure did...by the time it had passed over Dublin,We were wading through 3 ft drifts in Ballinteer where we lived at the time.
    I took the train down to Arklow a few days later and it was a wonder how it got through Rathdrum and Glenealy at all-that whole area had drifts up over gates!

Thats the kind of event thats possible with true siberian air from the East or north east with loads of instability.
    Jan '82 gave more snow but was an atlantic based event as you know where similar to whats going on next week,a front stalled.
    It had the cold already established though and started as snow in Arklow.
    this one sadly won't in 2009 but hey looking at whats possible and hopefully coming,I'm not going to complain too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

If this did come off in the end as were all hoping would wexford see any snow?

yes baraca yes eventually lots!
    High ground there first with the front and maybe low ground eventually and literally tonnes of snow showers in the north easterly.
    Hit and miss with them of course -some areas missing some showers and others getting loads depending on where the shower trains develop.

This is not a certain bet but entirely possible.
    We shall see.

• Advertisement

Seems to be an enhancement of that shallow Scandinavian low on tonight's ECM for next weekend:

100057.gif

Very rare to have a low moving down from the northeast, but that chart has the potential to bring a fabled type snowfall.

May be dropped in later runs, but something to keep an eye on next week. :)

i'm holding you personally responsible for getting my hopes up if this doesn't happen:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think we will see enough snow yet, too much is as bad as anything. I wouldn't trust the council to clear the minor roads if we were to get drifts several feet high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Yep exciting times ahead.
    Sky News weather though are showing all rain for us with temps of 6 to 8 in southern half of country for tues.

And so after a short stop for repairs the Rollercoaster is back on track for the loop the loop,:D

Yep exciting times ahead.
    Sky News weather though are showing all rain for us with temps of 6 to 8 in southern half of country for tues.

And so after a short stop for repairs the Rollercoaster is back on track for the loop the loop,:D
    don't worry-Francis wilson is on holidays so they are a bit out of sorts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

yes baraca yes eventually lots!
    High ground there first with the front and maybe low ground eventually and literally tonnes of snow showers in the north easterly.
    Hit and miss with them of course -some areas missing some showers and others getting loads depending on where the shower trains develop.

This is not a certain bet but entirely possible.
    We shall see.

Great nice to hear something like that for a change! I'm all excited now :pac:

Are we still on the fence on this one? as in rain or snow event or we dont knwo yet ??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

jenzz wrote: »
    Are we still on the fence on this one? as in rain or snow event or we dont knwo yet ??

The fence is buckeling under the weight of the snow and expectation !

The fence is buckeling under the weight of the snow and expectation !

ha ha - we had abou 15 flakes thats it - the countrys under ices rinks & frozen snow ploughs & we got 15 flakes & tropical temps - need snow !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

im gonna wait another day before I make my way to the antique's cabinet and blow the cobwebs off my snow depth ruler last used in 1991:)

• Advertisement

http://www.nra.ie/RoadWeatherInfo/Map/data/htm/WeatherTable.htm

I see were not worth treating again!!

What part of SUB ZERO TEMPS do they not understand ...............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement