Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best radio to buy for listening to Long Wave?

• 23-12-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi there,

My hubby loves to listen to BBC Radio 4 on his radio - however the reception is rubbish. I'd like to get him a radio that will have really good reception on R4.

I had a quick search on this thread and someone talked about an Acura Radio Player - i've had a surf and the only reference I can find to these is that they are car radios?

Can anyone help point me in the right direction? I'm not very teccie (I can hear you say radio isn't teccie but it is to me). Am I right in assuming that a Digital Radio isn't necessarily going to give better reception to BBC radio stations?

When I was growing up my parents had this huge radio, I think it was a Nordmende - and we listened to the beeb all the time - it doesn't seem to be possible to get that kind of thing any more?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good radios with LW are like hens teeth sadly, Roberts have a number in Argos as does Bush eg this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Dan Dare

mike65 wrote: »
    Good radios with LW are like hens teeth sadly, Roberts have a number in Argos as does Bush eg this one

I live in Cork city and use that Bush Radio to listen to Radio 4. Reception fine usually. Also Radio 4 is available via the TV if you are with Coras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Roberts make great radios. But if you have wifi in your house, i'd advise you to get him an internet radio. They're brill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

eth0_ wrote: »
    Roberts make great radios. But if you have wifi in your house, i'd advise you to get him an internet radio. They're brill.

+1:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Ellechim

thanks guys. Missed it for Xmas - I think I will get him an internet radio (I hadn't known such a thing exists) but at this stage for his birthday. I just ran out of time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can get BBC Radio 4 off Satellite as well. Should be available on Sky, if you have it, as well as Freesat.

Many Sony products that contain radios will receive longwave.

The programs are also available from the BBC website for downlaod as Podcasts so they can be played on a computer or MP3 player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The podcasts are great except fot the limited timespan, is storage that expensive still? (answer no)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

mike65 wrote: »
    The podcasts are great except fot the limited timespan, is storage that expensive still? (answer no)

I don't think it's the cost of the storage itself, but the managment of it could be.

the cost of hosting large SANS in costly data center's the admin/archival/blah blah can become very costly, replacing it etc etc

Still no excuse for a national broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Ellechim wrote: »
    I think I will get him an internet radio (I hadn't known such a thing exists)

Keep us posted and good luck with the Internet Radio :)

Since the Irish are such big radio listeners I think more could be done to publicise these little gems.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Bump.

Sorry for bringing an almost redundant thread up but does anyone know a good current radio to pick up longwave for west cork area? Or would getting an internet radio work better? (wifi available in the house too)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Yes wifi is Better ie Internet radio you could then have a choice between radio 4 lw or radio 4 fm. You could also get a I phone with tune in radio app great to pick up stations as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Why bother with wifi using up your internet allowance when freesat does the job nicely?and for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Lots of offers out there these days for unlimited downloads,I have all you can eat data with three myself and unlimited downloads with eircom broadband. Freesat is grand just wifi or over 3G is more portable around the house and out and about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Why bother with wifi using up your internet allowance when freesat does the job nicely?and for free?
    If your ISP still caps your data allowance, you should really consider changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

Thanks for the replies. It's for an elderly relative I was enquiring and portablility would be an issue so via tv is not a runner. Datacap would not be an issue either so if internet radio is better than old style long wave radio then that'd be no problem. I've never used an internet radio, would my relative find it easy to use once I've set it up and if so does anyone have a good simple to use recommendation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some advantages of an internet radio would be setting up favourites or presets, wake up/alarm to a radio station. Similar to what you can do with a TV. First thing you'll probably have to do is put in your router's access code into the radio's menu so it can access your wi-fi signal. You might need to walk your relative through some of the steps so that they'll know what to do if they hit the wrong button. Depending on the radio, it might be something like knowing how to get back to internet mode if they go over to FM, that type of thing. Some big electrical shops should have internet radios, but it's unlikely they'll be connect to any web facility on their display models.

I've had Roberts 202 for over 2 years, very happy with it. No doubt there are newer models about, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭craoltoir

Pity DRM is not (at present anyway) able to provide good continous reception for stations on LW/MW/SW. If DRM was able to provide as good a signal as satellite radio it would be great. No need for WiFi connections then.......

(www.drm.org for info regarding Digital Radio Mondiale)

Advertisement