Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Be a Morning Person..

• 23-12-2009 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭

My first foray into keeping an online log. A quick Background..

Never athletic.. didn't run, play football etc.. in school or college. Started to cycle about two and a half years ago and started running about one year ago and started swimming in March of this year. Completed about five sprint tris this year and a couple of road races ranging rom 5k - HM.

2010:

A priority races: North Tipp Sprint, Clougherhead Sprint
    B races: Naas Duathlon (Feb), Carrick-on-Suir sprint, Crooked lake sprint, DCT
    Along with a few C races that I will choose on the go, mainly road races.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Monday:

Run: 50 Minutes

Warm up
    3x5min moderate hills (6%) up to zone 4
    8min recovery in between in zone1-zone2

Swim: 30 Minutes

6x200m (Off 5:00), Avg. pace: 2:00/100m

Tuesday:

Swim: 50 Minutes

10x200m (Off 5:00), Avg. pace: 1:58 - 2:05/100m

Long recoveries, should really be doing these off 4:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Good luck with the log mloc123. Might see you at the North Tipp Sprint :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck Mloc, you might see me too, first ever tri last year was North Tipp, chain came off bike three times during the cycle......allowed me to be so cross to wife over it after; I got the green light to buy a new bike....so more good memories then bad!

Wednesday:

Run: 1hr

Warm up
    30 minute tempo - zone 3
    20 minute endurance in zone1-zone2

Swim: 25 Minutes

5x200m (Off 5:00), Avg. pace: 2:05-2:10/100m

Tired, intended swim to be longer but was tired by the third and sinking by the forth. Three days swimming in a row is not good for me but had to be done this week with Christmas gym times.

• Advertisement

Thursday:

Bike: 55min

Inc. 15 minute tempo - zone 3

This was meant to be a 35 minute tempo but the roads around here are lethal today, back wheel skipped out a few times too often so I called it a day at 15 and headed home :rolleyes: Need to order a turbo after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck with the log and smart call on cutting today short! The turbo is a very worthwhile investment.

How did you work out your zones? I assume you are basing it off Friel? Personally I did the run test and used the last 20mins avg HR to calcualte my zones. Tough doing a 30 minute time trial this time of year. I hope to do a bike test next week to see how I'm progressing.

All based on Friel and my interpretation of his 'build your own plan' from the triathlon bible.

Zones are based on a run test... So may not be very accurate for the bike.
    I will be retesting next week, weather permitting for more accurate zones.

Friday

Run: 90 minutes

Nice and simple endurance run.

Saturday:

Bike: 125 minutes

Endurance.

Roads are better, still alot of water, ice and slush hough... made it interesting

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Run: 80 minutes

Endurance Inc tempo

Icy, icy roads. Back home for a day or two so out running on country roads... quite frustrating at times with large stretches completely frozen over.

Easy recovery jog later to wrap up the week.

Recovery jog became a recovery nap, ohwell.

Totals:

Run: 4hrs 35 mins
    Bike: 3hrs
    swim: 1hr 45 mins
    s+c 35 mins

Had hoped to get more time on the bike. Recovery week next.

Monday:

Restday:

Hadn't had one of these in 3 weeks, itching to get out but I didn't.

Tuesday:

Swim:

2x200m warmup
    Broken 1000m test, 10x100m with 10 seconds rest.
    100m cool down

Wednesday:

Restday:

Last one for another few weeks.

Thursday:

Bike:

30 Minutes on the turbo in zone1-zone2, was to be 60 minutes including a 5 mile aerobic test but I managed to get a punture :confused: So out the door for what should have been an easy run.

Run:

25 Minutes, tempo. Recovery week and I should not be doing anything above endurance level but..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

mloc123 wrote: »
    30 Minutes on the turbo in zone1-zone2, was to be 60 minutes including a 5 mile aerobic test but I managed to get a punture :confused:

It's not just me then, I managed to get one on the rollers a few weeks back.

showry wrote: »
    It's not just me then, I managed to get one on the rollers a few weeks back.

Thats okay then :D I had stuck an old tyre on but it seems there was a thorn in it from whenever I took it off before.

Friday:

Run:

60 minutes easy trail run today, in the snow. Very picturesque and enjoyable for now.. if is still round on Monday it will me much less fun.

trail.th.jpg

Saturday:

Over to my nearest 'all weather' track today for an aerobic mile test. First time I have been over, ands its not too bad.. old cinder track, not sure if its lit at night or not but I'll try and use it when its intervals time.

Run:

40 minutes easy including one mile at 9-11 beats below threshold.

Can't get into it this week at all, hopefully a bit more structure and more hours next week will make it easier.

Sunday:

Bike:

60 minutes on the turbo, zone1-zone with an avergage cadence of 100.

meh end to a meh week. Tomorrow is the beginning of base 3 and the start of proper training again.

Totals:

Run: 2hrs 5 mins
    Bike: 1hr 30 mins
    swim: 35 mins
    s+c 20 mins

• Advertisement

Monday:

Bike:

70 minutes on the turbo:

15 minutes (zone1-zone2)
    40 minutes tempo (zone3), average cadence: 102
    15 minutes (zone1-zone2)

Decent session, good to be back at it proper.

Tuesday:

Swim:

45 minutes

10x200m off 4:30, one off 5:00.

Gym is full of the 'one month a year' group :( Bought myself one of these today in order to avoid them for the next couple of weeks. Snow trail run planned for tomorrow night.

Wednesday:

Run:

62 minutes

18 minutes warm up
    30 minutes tempo
    14 minutes warm down

Odd run tonight, first few k was around dark snowy trails with my new head light.. see below. I based this on feel and speed instead of the heart rate zones. My average heart rate for the 30 minute tempo, and the entire run was above my previously estimated LT... which means this is too low and I need to re test and/or work off pace more often.

spooky.th.jpg

Missed my planned swim this morning, partly due to lazyness and the also the weather. Need to do a double session tonight or swap out my LSR to this evening and double on Saturday instead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Hi, Mloc that was Wounded Knee and me on bridge.A nice evening for a run, and i'm just back now from few k around Leixlip. Paths are grand around here.

i'll be keeping an eye on your log from now on!

jb-ski wrote: »
    Hi, Mloc that was Wounded Knee and me on bridge.A nice evening for a run, and i'm just back now from few k around Leixlip. Paths are grand around here.

i'll be keeping an eye on your log from now on!

Good to meet ye, I try my best to nod as I pass but have never spoken to anyone out running at night :o I didn't chance it tonight, presuming it would be compacted and frozen over.. gym instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

Almost didn't go out myself because of the fog but took a chance on running the canal path. Well worth the effort and what a perfect evening..

Thursday:

Run:

40 minutes on the threadmill

Including 2 x 8mins @ 8% with 10mins recovery between.

Swim:

Cut my run short to try and squeeze in the missed swim from this morning, bad idea. Swim was rubbish and I binned it very early. Need to start making my morning sessions (hence the thread title).

3 x 200m (off 4:30)

Weekend:

Write off. Started on Friday evening arriving home to no water, continued saturday with a burst pipe coming down through the kitchen ceiling and wrapped up Sunday with no heating.

• Advertisement

Monday:

Swim:

2x200m (off 4:30), 2x400m (off 9:00), 2x200m (off 4:30) - Avg. Pace 2:00/100m

Day off work, at home waiting for a plumber so I went over for a lunch swim. Tempo run later on.

Run

48 minutes steady. Foot paths were frozen over slush, local trail was a sheet of ice so the tempo was not going to happen. Felt a bit pointless at times as I tip-toed over sections. This ice can't last much longer.

Advertisement