Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Be a Morning Person..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tuesday:

Swim:

1x200m (off 4:30), 1x240m (off 5:20), 1x200m (off 4:30)
    2x400m (off 9:00)
    1x200m (off 4:30), 1x240m (off 5:20), 1x200m (off 4:30)

Avg. Pace 2:00/100m

240s were both by mistake.

Wednesday:

Bike:

85 minutes on the pain machine.

20 minutes warm up
    50 minutes tempo @ avg. cadence of 102
    15 minutes warm down

Always my hardest session every week, mentally more so than anything. Looking forward to a long cycle on the road this week.

Thursday:

Run:

65 minutes inc. 30min tempo

Maintained an average cadence of 90 for the duration of the tempo, for me this is good. I have been working on cadence and midfoot strike for the last couple of months so nice to see it pay off.

Friday:

Run:

60 minutes easy (zone1-zone2)

Based on pace not HR. Wet and windy... soo windy.

Saturday:

Swim:

Pointless... warning, rant ahead.

I'm not a parent but here is some advice... sitting in the Jacuzzi while your kids run a muck in the pool is not good parenting. Kids walking out in front of me in the lanes, using the ropes to climb on and using the lanes in general when there is a whole half a pool un-laned. I left vowing never to go back during the day at the weekend.

Run:

95 Minutes (zone1-zone2)

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Bike:

2hrs 30mins (zone1-zone2)

Heavy legs, was a real effort to get through this. I may need a rest day tomorrow depending on how I feel... weekly totals to follow.

Totals:

Run: 4hrs 26mins
    Bike: 3hrs 56mins
    Swim: 1hr 33mins
    s+c: 25mins

Gonna have to start focussing more on the bike now. My base months have been very run centric, yesterdays data shows I now have a decent aerobic run base.

Monday:

Woke up with a scrathy throat and sore ear, natures way of saying rest day :(

Wednesday:

Sinus infection, I'm a fool... I should have realised when I woke up Sunday feeling ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

mloc123 wrote: »
    Saturday:

Pointless... warning, rant ahead.

I'm not a parent but here is some advice... sitting in the Jacuzzi while your kids run a muck in the pool is not good parenting. Kids walking out in front of me in the lanes, using the ropes to climb on and using the lanes in general when there is a whole half a pool un-laned. I left vowing never to go back during the day at the weekend.

As a parent I agree with you. Kids run around and muck about but interfering with lanes and running on pool deck is also the duty of the poolside lifeguard to notice and say something about. Parenting primarily though of course. My lad is not allowed run on pool deck even with flip flops on. Mind that sinus btw... ease back into it only when you feel clear

• Advertisement

MCOS wrote: »
    As a parent I agree with you. Kids run around and muck about but interfering with lanes and running on pool deck is also the duty of the poolside lifeguard to notice and say something about. Parenting primarily though of course. My lad is not allowed run on pool deck even with flip flops on. Mind that sinus btw... ease back into it only when you feel clear

No lifegaurd in the gym, as I was leaving the girl on the front desk seemed to think that it being a Saturday made it a free for all... and told me to get over earlier.. after asking me was I too hung over to :confused: ohwell, lesson learned

Wasted week, few easy runs to see how I felt.. not great. Should be back at it tomorrow, rest week anyway with the Raheny 5 this day week.

Monday:

Run:

40mins intended easy to get back into it. What a difference a week off makes, pace was well up... too fast to call it an easy run(for me) really.

Wednesday:

Run:

60 minutes (zone 2)

Finding it very hard to get back into it, eating everything that isn't moving too. Sunday will be a wake up one way or another.

Raheny 5 today, after two weeks of pissing about.

Couple of very easy runs during the week and alot of eating :rolleyes:

Watch time 34:51, goal was sub 35. Raheny was my second ever race this time last year coming in at 44:35... so a nice chunk off that. Back at it properly tomorrow, with the start of my build period.

Edit: Been looking at the Garmin details here, so I might aswell stick up my splits.

Mile1: 06:47
    Mile2: 06:58
    Mile3: 06:59
    Mile4: 06:55
    Mile5: 07:10

Should have giving it a little more around the park for the last 400m

Monday:

Run:

60 minutes easy (zone1 - zone2) just to get the legs going again after yesterday.

Got out of bed this morning and had to woddle to the bus, calves were very tight. A combination of trying my best to stay on my toes more so than mid foot yesterday while wearing my mayflys(love these for races).

Time to concentrate on diet too, I have been trying to drop 'that last stone' for a while now. Hoping to hit 10st 8lbs for the North Tipp sprint, this does not look likely. currently hovering around 11st 8lbs. Anyway I have signed up to fitday to track my intake and it looks like I am under eating, average day came to 1500cals today.. this is tracking everything and using labels not the pre defined food they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭griffin100

Watch time 34:51, goal was sub 35. Raheny was my second ever race this time last year coming in at 44:35... so a nice chunk off that. Back at it properly tomorrow, with the start of my build period.

Edit: Been looking at the Garmin details here, so I might aswell stick up my splits.

Mile1: 06:47
    Mile2: 06:58
    Mile3: 06:59
    Mile4: 06:55
    Mile5: 07:10

Nice steady running. You should have given it socks though on the last bit around the park to get 5 sub 7 minute miles. You need to HTFU :D. Seriously, I did this race last year and sprinted the last bit to get a sub 40 minute whilst spectators were asking me I was sprinting as I wasn't going to win:rolleyes:

I know, I got to the park and looked at my watch... that was my mistake. In my head I said, sub 35 in the bag... no need to kill myself here :rolleyes:

Tuesday:

Bike:

60 minutes on the turbo inc. cruise intervals

20 minutes warm-up(zone1-zone2)
    5 minutes interval with 3 minutes recovery x 4
    11 minutes warm-down(zone1-zone2)

Diet, extra 500cals a day.. feel like I'm stuffing myself, its great :D

Wednesday:

Swim:

3 x 200m (off 4:30)
    2 x 100m (off 2:05)
    2 x 200m (off 4:30)

Total: 1200m

Averaged 2mins/100m for the 200s and was aiming to try and do 10 x 100m at a faster pace... I should have left longer rests for the 100s, really should have been doing 2:1. Pool was packed and lane etiquette is non existant, this mad it very easy to junk the session.

I have two choices... start getting up early and getting to the pool or suck it up. With 10 weeks to North Tipp I need to concentrate on my swimming or revise my predicted time :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I have two choices... start getting up early and getting to the pool or suck it up.
    I have the same problem, so its either swim after 7.00pm (when kids are banned from the pool) and hope that not too many people are in the pool at that time or swim in the morning, but this makes me late for work. Tallaght Lesiure Ctr opens their pool at 6.30am so I might have to try and get some morning swims in there (my gym doesn't open unitil 7.30am).
    With 10 weeks to North Tipp I need to concentrate on my swimming or revise my predicted time rolleyes.gif

What did you predict (if its not a secret;)). I put 18 minutes down - sad.

Thursday:

Swim(AM):

8 x 200m (off 4:30)

Total: 1600m

In the pool for 7am, lane to myself.. heaven. Two weeks out of the water is fairly evident tho'... averaging 2:00/100m but finding it hard towards the end, had intended to do an extra 2/3 200s.

Run(PM):

55 Minutes inc. cruise intervals

15mins warm up(zone1-zone2)
    6mins(zone4-zone5a) followed by 2mins(zone1-zone2) x 4
    warm down(zone1-zone2)

Good session, was not looking foward to it but once I got going it was enjoyable. 3 wheatabix and a cup of tea when I got home, mmm.

griffin100 wrote: »
    I have the same problem, so its either swim after 7.00pm (when kids are banned from the pool) and hope that not too many people are in the pool at that time or swim in the morning, but this makes me late for work. Tallaght Lesiure Ctr opens their pool at 6.30am so I might have to try and get some morning swims in there (my gym doesn't open unitil 7.30am).

Every time I read your log I wonder if we are in the same gym :D The pool in mine has 3 lanes and an open section which is fine I guess, but most people do not seem to know how to lane swim. I used to use the Markievicz pool in town and it was better but I rarely made it in early enough.

griffin100 wrote: »
    What did you predict (if its not a secret;)). I put 18 minutes down - sad.

Predicted 13mins... thinking, how hard can it be to trim 2mins :rolleyes:

Every time I read your log I wonder if we are in the same gym biggrin.gif The pool in mine has 3 lanes and an open section which is fine I guess, but most people do not seem to know how to lane swim. I used to use the Markievicz pool in town and it was better but I rarely made it in early enough.

My pool has no lane ropes....EVER....

13 mins - I'm impressed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I'd imagine that will put you in the second last wave of the day, maybe even the last one

I'd imagine that will put you in the second last wave of the day, maybe even the last one

Thats my fear, I will have to get in touch with them to revise it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well look, 13mins is 1:44 pace. Have you swam at that pace before? Even if you have done it for a couple of 100s then on the day tuck behind some feet and you will get through it.

Last year North Tipp was my first sprint. It was a 500m swim. I had only done a 1k TT so didn't know. I submitted a time that was half of the TT but on the day went about 4-5sec/100m faster.

Just don't lead out your lane if its on the threshold of your race pace. Despite all warnings not to I was impatient with the reluctance of everyone to lead my lane last year and I just tore off. Had my ankles scraped off me for the first few lengths and then let the girl through only to find that she didn't pull away :rolleyes:

10 weeks ooh I'm looking forward to it now. My better half is doing her first Tri, I think I'm more excited about that than I am about doing myself though!

Just don't lead out your lane if its on the threshold of your race pace. Despite all warnings not to I was impatient with the reluctance of everyone to lead my lane last year and I just tore off. Had my ankles scraped off me for the first few lengths and then let the girl through only to find that she didn't pull away rolleyes.gif

Same thing happened me in PortLaois last year. No one wanted to lead out, eventually some guy agreed to. A quiet australian guy said nothing but put himself in the no.2 position. There was no overtaking for the first 100m, as soon as we were 4 lengths on he took off like a rocket having drafted an easy first 100m. I on the other hand started at the back, and spent most of the last half of the race trying to get by slow movers who hogged the lane despite constant foot tapping (and I'm slow). You learn from experience....I'll try for no. 3 position this time:)
    10 weeks ooh I'm looking forward to it now. My better half is doing her first Tri, I think I'm more excited about that than I am about doing myself though!

Same here for my wife in Port Laois in April. If we can get a babysitter we'll both do it whihc should be good craic. I'm currently trying to explain to her that the gym bike and real road riding are not the same thing. Two weeks into training she's currently doing a sub 40 minute 20km on the gym bike, I have to explain that she is likely to be just that bit slower on the road:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya be careful there Mloc, I put in a swim time of ten minutes last year for the 500. What I found happened is that a lot of the cuter guys dont want to wait around all day for their wave to start so they put down 10 minutes when they were closer to 8.45/9.00. We asked just before the start who would lead out and everyone predicted their time and I felt the fear of god, not one of them over 9.45, so I went last needless to say

I was swimming about 11 minutes before I entered and decided I could get it down to ten but this didnt happen, I ended up being outside 11.30 as the guys in the lane were flying it and I had to stop at the end of the lane a few times and just let them past for fear of holding them up.

I deffo think this that this will happen again this year, from registration time to swim time can be a few hours if you are in the last lane so the impatient guys play down their swim time.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the replies. My last 1000m TT time is 20mins.. and I can swim comfortably enough at 2:00/100m which would give me a 15min 750m so I guess if I was on somebodies feet for a few lemgths I could aim for something between 13:00-14:00... time will tell :D

Advertisement