Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Be a Morning Person..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Friday:

Bike:

60 minutes easy on the turbo(zone1-zone2)

Spent quite a while messing with position on the bike, I have a good narrow position now... just need to work on dropping it a bit now. 60 minutes was spent 'tucked' with no discomfort, so a good result.

Saturday:

Swim(AM):

6x200m(off 4:30)

Total: 1200m

Another short session. Pool was great, quiet. Really concentrating on stroke and form this morning, staying relaxed and at what felt like an easy pace. Was coming in on 3:58 for the sets. I think my biggest problem when I try to swim faster is that my form goes to ****, not that its good to start with.

Run(PM):

95 Minutes LSR

Hilly(for Celbridge) run including some trails. Nice to get out whiles its bright, picked back roads with no cars...very peaceful.

Sunday:

Bike:

2hrs 35min endurance (zone1-zone2)

Tried to find some hills..in Kildare. I found a few but not enough. Lovely day for a spin.

Totals:
    Swim: 1hr 34mins
    Bike: 4hrs 35mins
    Run: 3hrs 30mins
    s+c: 30mins

Monday:

Run:

60 Minutes easy (zone1-zone2)

Nice easy run to get the week started. No rest days now for the next while so I will be using Monday as an easy recovery day.

Tuesday:

Bike:

55 minutes on the turbo inc. cruise intervals

15 minutes warm-up(zone1-zone2)
    6 minutes interval with 2 minutes recovery x 4
    10 minutes warm-down(zone1-zone2)

Run:

Easy 5 minutes off the bike... just to remind the legs whats to come :p

• Advertisement

Wednesday:

Swim:

5 x 200m (off 4:30)
    2 x 100m (off 2:15)
    1 x 200m (off 4:30)

Total: 1400m

All at 2:00/100m pace... consistant. It seems to be my only pace. I am looking into lessons now..or joining a club for group sessions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

mloc123 wrote: »
    Tuesday:

Bike:

55 minutes on the turbo inc. cruise intervals

15 minutes warm-up(zone1-zone2)
    6 minutes interval with 2 minutes recovery x 4
    10 minutes warm-down(zone1-zone2)

Run:

Easy 5 minutes off the bike... just to remind the legs whats to come :p

Hi mloc123,
    what kind of effort were the intervals at?

Zone4-zone5, One of Friels workouts.. more details here

Thursday:

Run:

58 Minutes inc. cruise intervals

15mins warm up(zone1-zone2)
    7mins(zone4-zone5a) followed by 2mins(zone1-zone2) x 4
    warm down(zone1-zone2)

Wrecked after this, up early in the morning for a swim.... or not.

Friday:

Swim:

4x200m (off 4:30)

Lunchtime swim and thats all I had time for :rolleyes: Its not worth the hassle for 20mins in the water, won't be trying it again. Easy 60 mins on the bike later.

Bike:

60 mins steady (zone2)

Again just getting used to staying tucked on the tri bike, I was comfortably tucked for the 60mins. Have dropped the bars some more, will have to get the gf to take a few pictures tomorrow to check how good my position is.

• Advertisement

Saturday:

Weight: 72.7kg

Making good progress on dropping weight since eating more, down about 2kg in the last 3 weeks.

Swim(AM):

6x200m(off 4:30)
    2x100m(off 2.20)
    1x200m(off 4:30)

Total: 1600m

What a difference stroke makes. Some of the 200s were with the pull bhoy, 2 of which were concentrating on high elbows... I came in on 3:45 for the first and presumed I missed 2 lengths... so when I came in on 3:45 again for the second I was delighted. Gonna concentrate on drills more from now on.

Run(PM):

90 Minutes LSR.

Good steady zone2 run, some hills, some trails and some mud... nice peaceful run.

Sunday:

Bike:

2hrs 30min endurance (zone1-zone2)

Cold and wet, only warming up now afterwards.

Totals:

Swim: 1hr 27mins
    Bike: 4hrs 25mins
    Run: 3hrs 33mins
    s+c: 30mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

solid week mloc123, good work :)

solid week mloc123, good work :)

Cheers, not huge hours but I am trying to keep it consistant.

Monday:

Run:

32mins easy run. Lunchtime run as I won't have time this evening(family dinner).
    Didn't feel great, heavy legs and a bit weak from not having anything to eat apart from breakfast 4 hours earlier.

Tuesday:

Unplanned rest day. 10mins into the turbo session and I was not feeling the love, heavy legs and tired. Did the sensible thing for once and binned it. Lymph nodes feel a little swollen, or maybe I am paranoid.

Wednesday:

Swim:

1 x 600m straight
    6 x 100m drills
    2 x 200m followed by a cool down.

Total: 1600m

Good nights sleep and I felt much better, I do have a slightly swollen lymph node so I am gonna keep an eye on it and adjust training over the next few days depending on how it goes.

Thursday:

Run:

60 minutes steady run.

Little paranoid about ending up run down/sick so taking it handy enough now till Sunday (First B race). I feel good and have no other symptoms but the swelling is worrying. My left calf has been quite tight all week, so much so its causing me knee discomfort.. lots of stretching tonight and it feels much better already.

Friday:

Brick:

Steady 35mins(zone2) on the turbo followed by a 25min aerobic run with a couple of race pace efforts thrown in.

I really did not want to do this session, knee and calf were niggling me and I thought it might have been better to rest. Once I got warmed up on the bike I felt good and the run off the bike felt effortless. Good stretch afterwards and the knee/calf feels good.

Saturday:

Brick:

More of the same, tri bike out on the road for the first time since...August :o
    35minutes easy followed by 20minutes easy run. Running off the bike is feeling good and my pace is decent(for me) while keeping the HR down. Nice easy swim later to loosen up the legs for tomorrow and then early to bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for the race tommorow. Naas duathlon. is it?

• Advertisement

Macanri wrote: »
    All the best for the race tommorow. Naas duathlon. is it?

Cheers, yeah Naas tomorrow.. not expecting much as my biking is fairly poor at the moment :rolleyes:

Crap end to a crap week, race cancelled. :(

Feels like a wasted week as I had tapered for todays race, recovery week next week but tbh I don't feel like I need it now.

Monday:

Run:

60 minutes easy, nothing of note

Tuesday:

Swim:

1 X 700m, 11 x 100m.

Wednesday:

Bike:

60 minutes on the road bike before I buckled the rear wheel :rolleyes: a poorly adjust rear deraileur meant the chain skipped of the cassete and bent two spokes.

Thursday:

Swim:

Forgot my stopwatch. 1 x 720m, 8 x 100m (drills), 2 x 200m.

Run:

60 mins, steady inc. 4 x 1 minute race pace. Running at race pace felt good, either my running is going very well at the moment or my Garmin is f*cked... more than likely the latter.

Alive Outside Duathlon

First duathlon of the year, arrived early... second person in transition. After setting up I grabbed my bike and went to cycle the route, having never been around it... and was told by the marshall that I was not allowed take my bike out till the race started... balls. With a half hour before the start I went for a warm up run instead. Bitter wind out and I was not looking forward to stripping down to my tri suit.

Run 1

Went out quick enough, tried to keep up with the front bunch after a couple of minutes I glanced at my garmin was at around 3min/km... this is too fast I thought and dropped back a bit. Came in on 9.24, avg pace 3:55/km.

T1

This went okay, bit slow getting my helmet on... out onto the road and on the bike, or not.

Bike

On the bike, feet in my shoes... why won't the pedals turn. BANG, over the handlebars and onto my head. I get up and watch 10 to 15 people pass as I sort out my chain. I knocked the shifter in transition and the chain jammed before finally coming off the chain ring. Covered in mud and with two large chunks missing from my shins I'm on the bike and moving. Made up a good few of the places lost.

I knew my biking had suffered after a winter of concentrating on running and found out for sure today. Not much to note on the bike leg, passed by two I think and came in on 24:14, avg speed 29km/h :rolleyes:

T2

Off the bike okay, dumped it and out on the run.

Run 2

Managed to pick up a couple of places here and lost one, for me this is a huge improvement. Last year I dropped anything up to 20 places in the second run. Came in on 10.17, avg pace 4:14/km

Nice race, good course and well run. Met MadHatter and Lumen(cycling forum), nice to put faces to the names. My neck is quite sore now after landing on my head :(

Edit: Pic of me grinding up the hills... staying tucked probably not the best plan

IMG_1786.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Well done for getting back up on the bike. Nice to see that the two runs were at a consistent pace and the second one didn't drop off too much from the first. Hows the head and neck today?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Well done for getting back up on the bike. Nice to see that the two runs were at a consistent pace and the second one didn't drop off too much from the first. Hows the head and neck today?

Cheers, neck is quite stiff and sore today but I'll live :D I was happy enough with the running pace but think I could have pushed harder in the second, HR data and the fact I can walk today with no discomfort backs that up... I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭MadHatter

I saw the chunk of skin missing from your shin, but I didn't realise you'd gone over the handlebars...ouch!

Hope it heels quickly. Might see you again next month.

MadHatter wrote: »
    I saw the chunk of skin missing from your shin, but I didn't realise you'd gone over the handlebars...ouch!

Hope it heels quickly. Might see you again next month.

Cheers, the shin will be fine... I have done worse. Not sure if I am doing next months or not, have to see how things line up. Might give some of the summer ones a go as it is a nice course.

Build 2 Begins...

Run:

60 minutes rolling, staying mainly in zone2 but up to 3 and 4 on hills. HRM on my Garmin is really pissing me off, spikes to 220+ and often reads a steady 20 beats high.

Think I passed wounded knee/jb-ski while I was out... I tried to nod and grunt :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good man getting back on the bike after a fall like that. Good running too well done on holding strong on R2. Are you wearing a loose tech top on the turbo? Might be static affecting the signal

Advertisement