Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Be a Morning Person..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Cheers, yeah I think it might be the the running tops I am wearing.. which is a pity because I bought six of them. I had blamed the base layer up until now but 4 different base layers and still the same result.

Tuesday:

Swim:

1 x 720m straight
    8 x 100m inc. some drills
    1 x 200m

Total: 1720m

My calves cramped/spasmed at the end of the 200m, I have never felt such pain before :eek:

On a positive note the straight 100ms were coming in on 1:50, my biking might be gone to **** but at least my swimming is improving.

Wednesday:

Run:

50 minutes

15 mins warm up (zone1-zone2)
    20 mins threshold
    15 mins cool down (zone1-zone2)

Piece of **** garmin HRM, wore a base layer and jacket that never caused issues before and yet again spikes of 220+ :mad: I am gonna through it in a ditch some of these nights.

I had intended biking tonight but when I went out there was a flat tyre waiting, tomorrow instead. Hopefully the puncture accouts for some of the poor split on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Cant remember but one of the lads on here told me to make sure the pads are wet before you put them on, I used to get spikes of 240/250 but its seems to have settled down somewhat since I have been doing that

Thursday:

Bike:

60 minutes

20 mins warm up (zone1-zone2)
    20 mins threshold
    20 mins crawl home

An enjoyable session on the bike, 20mins threshold felt good and seemed to fly by.

Friday:

Swim(AM):

1x720m straight warm up.
    8x100m

Had to cut this short after getting to the pool late, snooze ftw. I mixed up the 100s and concentrated on seperate things for some. high elbow, strong pull and long body. The strong pulls were coming in on 1:45 which is great... if I can do 7 of them in a row that is :)

Bike hill reps this evening.

Bike(PM):

60 minutes including hill repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

Had to cut this short after getting to the pool late, snooze ftw. I mixed up the 100s and concentrated on seperate things for some. high elbow, strong pull and long body. The strong pulls were coming in on 1:45 which is great... if I can do 7 of them in a row that is smile.gif

Nice numbers. I'd love to get my 100 repeats down to sub 2. You're on for a decent 750m time in your next race.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Nice numbers. I'd love to get my 100 repeats down to sub 2. You're on for a decent 750m time in your next race.

Heres hoping, I'm not sure what has happened but something clicked in the last couple of weeks... or else the pool I use is actually 18m and not the advertised 20m :D

or else the pool I use is actually 18m and not the advertised 20m

Christ dont say that...I've often woundered if my pool which is advertised as a 20m pool is actually a metre or two shy - I'm too scared to check

griffin100 wrote: »
    Christ dont say that...I've often woundered if my pool which is advertised as a 20m pool is actually a metre or two shy - I'm too scared to check

Glad I'm not the only one :D

Saturday:

Swim(AM):

1x720m straight warm up.
    7x100m

Tired and sluggish this morning, nothing special.

Run(PM):

90 minutes LSR Inc Hill repeats.

30 minutes (zone1-zone2)
    6 x hill reps (50 seconds followed by 1:50 recovery)
    Followed by about 50 minutes (zone1-zone)

Found this tough, no spring in my legs today... I underestimated how warm it was out, base layer and gloves... I had to duck into a bush to strip off the base layer after the reps... bottle of water would have been a good idea too.

• Advertisement

Sunday:

Bike:

2hrs 15mins(zone1-zone2)

Wrap up the week, nice and sunny out but a bit of a chill in the air. Still, its much easier to get out when its sunny.. enjoyable spin.

Totals:

Bike: 4hrs 19mins
    Run: 3hrs 19mins
    Swim: 1hr 50mins
    S+C: 30mins

Monday:

Run:

60mins(zone1)

Easy easy run to loosen the legs up for the week. Very cold out which made it quite easy to keep the HR down. Booked in for a message on Thursday to sort out my calves, been very tight ever since spasming in the pool lsat week.

Tuesday:

Swim:

2x200m warm up
    10x100m
    2x200m cool down

Didn't feel great, I was tired heading over and I felt like my form was **** throughout.. just one of those nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

mloc123 wrote: »
    Tuesday:

Swim:

2x200m warm up
    10x100m
    2x200m cool down

Didn't feel great, I was tired heading over and I felt like my form was **** throughout.. just one of those nights.

From a swimming point of view you've been going well to date. Some days things just dont feel right but the set above is good solid work. Training cycles for triathlon will mean that you're gonna be going to the pool tired - some days you feel like pushing your times and other days you just swim through. Its all money in the bank these days.

Cheers interested, I had put it down to just being a bad night alright... easy to get down over one bad day.

Wednesday:

Run:

50 Minutes Inc. 25mins at threshold.
    15mins warm up, threshold and a 10 minute cool down.

Felt tired again this evening, legs felt heavy and I was not looking forward to going out. Once I got going I felt good. The great thing about threshold runs is the time flies by... usually in a haze of pain.

Thursday:

Nada:

Night off, physio for a massage to loosen my calves. He reckons its most likely caused by poor hip flexability. Got some new runners too..

marathoner_310407141_SECTION.jpg

Friday:

Bike:

3hrs 5mins endurance (zone1-zone2) with some climbs up to 3 and 4a.
    Took in some of Kildare, Wicklow and South Dublin. Lovely day for it, sunny but not too warm.

Saturday:

Swim(AM):

720m warm up, I think. Forgot my watch so I couldn't lap every 100m.
    6 x 100m drills
    2 x 200m

Total: 1720m.

Edit: Its amazing how a bad session in the pool affects you, after Tuesday I was putting off going back. After this morning I am eager to get back again.

Weight:

72.1 KG, still going in the right direction...slowly. I stuck this pic up over in cycling for somebody looking for advice on how to drop weight, so I might aswell put it in here too. One picture was taken a couple of years back, the other yesterday before I went out on the bike.

nomh.th.jpg

LSR later today and I will probably race in Naas tomorrow as a threshold bike session.

Run(PM):

95 minutes LSR, probably not a great run to debut my new runners on... worked out okay tho'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Jaysus thats a lot of weight lost well done. There was a before or after thread on boards a while back, that shot might have won it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

thats great weight loss mloc fair play to ya. What weight were you and what are you now?

• Advertisement

thats great weight loss mloc fair play to ya. What weight were you and what are you now?

At my worst I was tipping 18stone :eek:, currently just under 11.4

Sunday:

Naas Duathlon:

Legs were feeling yesterdays LSR when I woke up but decided to head over anyway. Bit chilly when I was leaving home but by 12 the Sun was shining and it looked like a perfect day for it.

Run 1

Went out quick enough here, glancing at my garmin for the first 500m or so and I was running around 3:15, little too quick as usual so I dropped off. The start was quite tight and I spent a long time shuffling for position and passing people (I really need to get closer the front for the start). Came in on 12:36, average 3:57/km... happy enough with that.

Bike

Main goal here was not to land on my head again. Grabbed the bike and went, mounted smoothly but could still work on this for future races. The conditions were great for biking. I made up a good few places on the bike, maybe 10-15 overall. Its nice to be on the return leg meeting people on the way out with TT rigs with pointy hats... I myself had the pointy hat on today :rolleyes: Came in on 36:26

Run 2

This is where it all went wrong. Runners on ready to go and I spot my water bottle on the ground, I take a gulp and set off. Straight away I feel like getting sick, swallowed a load of air. After alot of wretching I manage to get the air out :o but still have a stitch. I tell myself to harden up and keep going, my pace was terrible. I double lapped in T2 on my garmin so no stats for the second run(thankfully) based on glancing at it throughtout I would think maybe 4:30/km average.

Mid pack finish I would think, probably came in around 1:06ish. As a training session it was worthwhile and I am happier with my biking.

img2672p.th.jpg

Tuesday:

Swim:

1x720m
    8x100m
    1x200m

Total: 1720m

I wore tight fit shorts(running) instead of my usual split running shorts in the pool...and it felt like it made a difference. It seemed easier to keep my hips up, almost like I was using the pull bhoy.

Wednesday:

Run:

Threshold run today, so I ran a 5M race near home. Nothing special. With four more days of my build phase to go I am looking forward to a recovery week. Physically I am fine, little sore but nothing major... but mentally I am drained.

I wore tight fit shorts(running) instead of my usual split running shorts in the pool...and it felt like it made a difference. It seemed easier to keep my hips up, almost like I was using the pull bhoy.

If I could offer anyone any advice about swimming, starting to swim of the lap clock of just learning its ... replace the large baggy board shorts immediately. The work like a drag belt.

Things have moved on a little (a lot) from the traditional speedo / budgie smugglers
    A choice of shorts or jammers. Either will do the job and they're blended with material that'll last alot longer that your running shorts in chlorinated pools. Each to their own but I certainly wouldnt be bother buying the racing togs (at elevated prices) for training btw.
    It seemed easier to keep my hips up, almost like I was using the pull bhoy.
    Break through for you right there chief ! congrats.

BTW, Ive nothing to do with swimshop - they just happen to illustrate the choices of swim shorts/suits very well.

cheers interested, I had been swimming in something like this and someting like this on tuesday. I might drop down to elverys for a look today, the tight running shorts are okay but have quite a high waist band.

the tight running shorts are okay but have quite a high waist band.

No worries, unless you're going for The Hoff look on baywatch both baggies and anything with a high waist band wont help the swimming and grabbing style points respectively ;)

Thursday:

Bike:

65 minutes including hill reps. Nothing like hill reps in the pitch dark, lit up like a christmas tree.

Friday:

Swim(AM):

Shorter than usual this morning as I was stuck for time.

1x520m
    6x100m
    1x200m

Total: 1320m

Have to try and get an LSR in this evening which will be tough on time again, looking forward to an easier than usual week from Monday on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on getting through the duathlon in one piece this time :D

• Advertisement

At my worst I was tipping 18stone eek.gif, currently just under 11.4

Jaysus....and I thought I'd done a bit going from 16.5 stone to 13.5 stone. Well done. I assume diet as well as exercise has played a big part? My weight loss is purely exercise based as my diet is still as crap as ever. If I ever start eating properly i.e. no vino, takeaways, chocolate, cakes, etc etc I'd be a lot lighter...then again I'd be a miserable fecker.

Advertisement