Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coolant

• 23-12-2009 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

A couple of months ago I got a dashboard waring light to say my coolant level was low. I asked an ex-mechanic neighbor about it and he said just to top it up with water.
    3 weeks ago, I got the same warning and topped it up with water again. I got the same warning again today.
    Does this
    a) seem like there is a problem?
    b) seem related to the current cold weather?
    c) mean that I just need to get some coolant?

What coolant do I need to buy? (2004 BMW 520 E60)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BraveDonut wrote: »
    Does this
    a) seem like there is a problem?
    b) seem related to the current cold weather?
    c) mean that I just need to get some coolant?

a) you've got a leak somehwere (or your cylinder head seal is buggered)
    b) no, but in this cold weather you'll need to add coolant (water with antifreeze) and not just water, else your engine will freeze and crack
    c) for the time being, yes. But you want this investigated eventually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

i drove the other night for over 30mins and i was watching the temp gauge and it wouldn't move from the bottom ! :eek:

it was sitting on the bar holding the thing up the entire time, coolant and all is fine but just goes to show how cold it actually is out there.

but even still the heater inside the car was sooo lovely :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

How many miles on it? I believe that the rad and hoses need replacing at about 100k (thousand :-) miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Had the same on my E39. Turned out to be a "hole" in the Radiator. BMW wanted just over €700.00 to replace it, shop around and you can sort it for far less than half that (assuming that is the problem).

I reckon you have two probs, firstly as you know you are losing coolant, as pointed out by someone there is a leak or else its being lost into the engine and being burnt off. This needs to be investigated by someone who has a clue / or gives a sh1t (that wouod rule your neighbour out ;) ). Between now and getting it sorted I would suggest you check your coolant level once a day, don't rely on the warning light. If the coolant is blue top up with blue coolant, if its red top up with red coolant. Do not top up with water alone as this dilutes the coolant in there and increases risk if corrosion and damage due to freezing.

Secondly you have a problem with the temperature indicator, regardless of the ambient temperature the engine will be up to operating temperature after running for much less than 30 minutes and so the needle should move accordingly. If you don't believe this lift the bonnet and observe that the engine is hot. Your problem is either the thermostat is needing replacing or the temperature indicator on the dash is not receiving the signal to rise, I would hazard a guess its the thermostat. Either way it needs sorting as you know have no way of knowing if the car is overheating which is now more likely as you have coolant being used or leaked.

To reiterate check the coolant level daily, top up as required, get the car checked as soon as you can.

Apologies, I just re read the thread and its another chap has the 2nd problem, I'm a bit tired, oops.

• Advertisement

Robbie, you're not a tiler by any chance are you ? I shared a house with a Robbie from Clondalkin years back :D

RoverJames wrote: »
    Robbie, you're not a tiler by any chance are you ? I shared a house with a Robbie from Clondalkin years back :D

im not that old ya know...

i've being living at home my whole life :)

I knew the world wasn't that small, great spot Clondalkin btw, great little village. Get that thermostat looked at ;)

RoverJames wrote: »
    I knew the world wasn't that small, great spot Clondalkin btw, great little village. Get that thermostat looked at ;)

it is in certin places :)

and the thermostat is perfect... driving in the last half hour and it came slightly up off the bar up to the top of the cold bar... just cold out :)

driving in the day and it makes up to just under 90 where it should be :)

Advertisement