Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about wifi

• 23-12-2009 3:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi looking to get the Nokia 5530 with Meteor. But I want to know do Meteor block the wifi? If so is there a way to get around the block? I just don't want to be charged to use the internet if it has wifi built in. Or should it be no problem to get it connected?

I've had a lookie but haven't found anything in it really. Thanks in advance for the help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

FireFly91 wrote: »
    Hi looking to get the Nokia 5530 with Meteor. But I want to know do Meteor block the wifi? If so is there a way to get around the block? I just don't want to be charged to use the internet if it has wifi built in. Or should it be no problem to get it connected?

I've had a lookie but haven't found anything in it really. Thanks in advance for the help
    They can't block Wi-Fi, it's just hardware in the phone. When you get the phone, you can simply either delete the data connection settings or preference everything to use the Wi-Fi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FireFly91

Thank you. Thread can be closed now that is all I wanted to know

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

cpu-dude wrote: »
    They can't block Wi-Fi, it's just hardware in the phone. When you get the phone, you can simply either delete the data connection settings or preference everything to use the Wi-Fi.

sure they could.
    just like Apple disabled the wifi in china.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

nmesisca wrote: »
    sure they could.

How do they do it so?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

nmesisca wrote: »
    sure they could.

Yes but it wasnt there in the first place. It is like some eseries nokia phones, where the wifi chip is absent. It is not they block the wifi signals coming in to a phone that has the wifi chip present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭nmesisca

flodis79 wrote: »
    Yes but it wasnt there in the first place. It is like some eseries nokia phones, where the wifi chip is absent. It is not they block the wifi signals coming in to a phone that has the wifi chip present.

ehm... no man. you think Apple has 2 different versions of the same phone with only a chip missing? thats not really good business if you want to have low production costs now..
    the wifi is locked most likely by the absence of a low level driver in the firmware of the phone. with a custom firmware you can bring wifi back to life but flashing a custom firmware on a standard phone wouldnt be that easy. as for the iphone you can jailbreak it which is effectively hacking the firmware. i bet someone in china has re-enabled wifi on day 1.

you obviously dont disable the signal coming in. you disable the receiver..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DerekN

Just got this phone as a birthday present, it's from meteor so it has all their settings pre-loaded. It does have wi-fi enabled and I can connect to wireless networks that the phone picks up.
    I have an encrypted wireless network operating at my home and I have to enter the WEP key whenever I want to connect over my wi-fi router.
    The drawback is that meteor seem to have crippled the phones menu's as I do not get the option to set an access point and store it in the phone...this means that I need to keep typing in the WEP key each time I connect or else open up my wireless network by removing WEP security.
    It is possible to create the access point on some versions of the phone as the in-built help file that comes on the phone tells you how to set it up (under settings>connectivity>wireless lan select options>define access point)but when you go to the menu option it does not show up. There also appears to be a remote drive option on the phone but again this has been disabled on the Meteor 5530.

Any phone firmware/os guru's out there have an answer to this, or an app that can give us access to remove the block meteor have put on it.

Just in case there are any Meteor techs reading this, I'm a long time meteor user as is most of my family and I resent the money grabbing attempts at forcing me to use Meteor Data....it makes me think twice about subscribing to your network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

DerekN wrote: »
    Just got this phone as a birthday present, it's from meteor so it has all their settings pre-loaded. It does have wi-fi enabled and I can connect to wireless networks that the phone picks up.
    I have an encrypted wireless network operating at my home and I have to enter the WEP key whenever I want to connect over my wi-fi router.
    The drawback is that meteor seem to have crippled the phones menu's as I do not get the option to set an access point and store it in the phone...this means that I need to keep typing in the WEP key each time I connect or else open up my wireless network by removing WEP security.
    It is possible to create the access point on some versions of the phone as the in-built help file that comes on the phone tells you how to set it up (under settings>connectivity>wireless lan select options>define access point)but when you go to the menu option it does not show up. There also appears to be a remote drive option on the phone but again this has been disabled on the Meteor 5530.

Any phone firmware/os guru's out there have an answer to this, or an app that can give us access to remove the block meteor have put on it.

Just in case there are any Meteor techs reading this, I'm a long time meteor user as is most of my family and I resent the money grabbing attempts at forcing me to use Meteor Data....it makes me think twice about subscribing to your network.

I've never seen a phone with that option disabled but there is something you might be doing wrong. Under settings->connectivity->WLAN wizard, when you see your wireless you might be pressing the enter key instead of the options key (left soft key). When I press enter on my N95 at that point I only get the options Start web browsing, refresh and details but when I press options I get loads more.

Failing that if you go into settings->connection->access points->options->new access point

you should be able to define it yourself. The options should be as follows:

Connection name:whatever you want
    Data bearer:Wireless LAN
    WLAN Network name: your SSID, the name that pops up when you search for networks
    Network status: public (try hidden too, it depends on your router settings)
    WLAN network mode: Infrastructure
    WLAN security mode: WEP

Then everything under WLAN security settings depends on your router settings but they're most likely:
    WEP key in use: #1
    Authentication type: open

WEP key settings
    WEP encryption: 128 bits (if there are 10 characters or less in your wep key it's 64 bit)
    WEP key format: Hexadecimal (if there are any characters other than 0-9 and A-F in it it's ASCII)
    WEP key: The key of course :)

Advertisement