Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Central Defence

• 23-12-2009 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

Could people also give their thoughts on whether we should have one or two polls? Personally I'd be in favour of just the one and the top two get in.

Also, votes will be visable this time so we can see who votes for who.

Best Central Defender? (Top Two Get Voted into Team) 148 votes

Toure
    0%
    Dunne
    0%
    Cuellar
    22%
    Bounty HunterSamuraiHelixCCCP^Instant KarmamayordenisDacelonidHolstenA Dub in GlasgoBeekaycashback[Deleted User]RikandNultyironictoasterDouble CQuintOne Cold HandCantGetNoSleepY2J_MUFC 34 votes
    Samba
    2%
    uncleoswaldJax Tellerglanman 3 votes
    Terry
    0%
    Nelsen
    7%
    Juan PabloJazzymicksselphercobijonesBubs101eddieheadPanthroMrKingsleyDegagSheepy99 11 votes
    Cahill
    0%
    Lescott
    0%
    Alex
    0%
    Hangeland
    1%
    ShoulderChipRichTea 2 votes
    Turner
    14%
    VokesThanx 4 The FishPepe LeFritsChardee MacDennisMitch Connorevil_seedRAUL DUKEthorbarryGLaDOSFuzzy_DunlopleninbenjaminredzerdrogcarlopSpud83IvySlayerkerashSlickRicx43r0ThunbergsAreGodanlen 21 votes
    Carragher
    0%
    Skrtel
    0%
    Vidic
    0%
    R. Ferdinand
    25%
    RasTaSeanehmatrimlordgoatIagokidaMr.Nice GuyyabadabadoJulezKinetic^patmacPeyton Manninggenericgoonspiderdanjimmyendlesscurry-muffBukman13beertonsOpenYourEyesDeeper Blue 37 votes
    Dawson
    4%
    PHBeventkippyDSBjaykay74Feeky Magee 6 votes
    Upson
    0%
    Shawcross
    2%
    Hammer Archer8-10smilerf 3 votes
    Bramble
    8%
    Big KnoxKingdomXavi6The VoltGillingtonAverage-RokryogenSmegballkeane2097Mr. GuappaCR 7therokerroar 12 votes
    King
    2%
    applehunterBobalicious93Redzer7 3 votes
    Carvalho
    0%
    everdead.ie 1 vote
    Gallas
    4%
    Neil3030Kold_blank_JohnerK-9Kess73Bandit12 7 votes
    Jagielka
    2%
    OPENROADx PyRoFerris_Bueller 3 votes
    Agger
    2%
    Headshotciaran76FrisbeeWarper 4 votes
    Other
    0%
    jesus_thats_gre 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

R. Ferdinand
    I'd prefer one and the top 2 get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

These are going so well!!

Cuellar
    It's gotta be Rio or Vidic or O Shea when either was injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Cuellar
    aye just run one for dunnes partner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Cuellar
    1 poll top 2 get in seems the best way of managing it, saves people having to go between two seperate threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bramble
    I voted for Ryan Shawcross. In a team that is constantly tested, he has been fantastic for the most part and has chipped in with the odd goal too. Integral to Stoke's survival last season and may not be at the Brittania for much longer if he continues to shine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Cuellar
    I said Dunne and Hangeland

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Turner
    I'm waiting until it's clear who is in the running for second before voting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Turner
    This is actually a tough one. The usual candidates' form has been stuttering this season (Carvalho, Terry, Carragher, Lescott) or interrupted by injury (Ferdinand, Vidic). Dunne didn't have a great start to the year with City so he really shouldn't be in the running either.

Cahill did very well for Bolton last season, but I'm not sure how good he is this season. Hangeland's been great, and Shawcross too...

Gack! I can't decide...

think I'll follow Pepe's lead. :D

• Advertisement

Cuellar
    To be fair I wolud normally go for Vidic and Carvalho as the best possible defensive pair in the league, but in 09 Carvalho has been injured to much, which is a pity so I gave my next choice to Dunne as i expect Vidic to get the other spot in this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

R. Ferdinand
    Interesting, I know which two id pick as the best but I probably wouldnt want them playing together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

R. Ferdinand
    You could allow for multiple voting and ask people to vote for 2. That way people can choose whatever partnership suits best. That's the way I ran it in the summer.

Probably won't make a difference though, I'd expect Dunne and Vidic to take the two spots either way, which they are probably deserving of. But if I was to choose a partnership, these guys wouldn't be ideal as they are both similar and there would be a serious lack of pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bramble
    Michael Carrick IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Cuellar
    Dunne didn't have a great start to the year with City so he really shouldn't be in the running either.

he played 2 games?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Turner
    What's the story with Alex this season? Thought he was Chelsea's best CB last season.

Turner
    Helix wrote: »
    he played 2 games?

so those 21 other games were a figment of my imagination?

Turner
    What's the story with Alex this season? Thought he was Chelsea's best CB last season.

It seems Terry is undroppable and Carvalho is thus preferred by Ancelotti. I find it daft myself, he's as good a defender as Terry and a much better goal threat.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Turner
    Voting for Dunne is a bit silly imo, he was not good for city for the first half of the year, he's only beeen worthy of it since his move to Villa.

I went for Hangeland, brilliantly consistant, and Fulham were watertight last season

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Cuellar
    It seems Terry is undroppable and Carvalho is thus preferred by Ancelotti. I find it daft myself, he's as good a defender as Terry and a much better goal threat.

alex is only coming back from injury, but I agree with ye, if Terry wasnt captain I would play Carvalho and Alex, Alex really stepped up last season in Carvalhos injury spells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Samba
    is this pool for the calender year 2009 or the season 2009, august to now??

Turner
    gavredking wrote: »
    alex is only coming back from injury,

But he's played twice already...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

R. Ferdinand
    Although Vidic hasn't played much/shone much this season, he did enough in the early months to justify my vote. Can't really see many other stand-out candidates

Cuellar
    But he's played twice already...

I should have worded that better, sorry, he has had niggles that has kept him out, it would be interesting to see what Carlo would do when Bosingwa comes back and either Terry or Carvalho has to be replaced, I would throw Alex in there everyday of the week ahead of Ivanovic, hes a fine player and has had some good solid displays when called upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Samba
    Dunney monster

Turner
    gavredking wrote: »
    be interesting to see what Carlo would do when Bosingwa comes back and either Terry or Carvalho has to be replaced,
    I imagine it would be more of a question of whether Bosingwa gets his right back spot back, Ivanovich has certainly been performing well enough to keep the spot

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

King
    Has to be good ol' Bramble :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Turner
    Voting for Dunne is a bit silly imo, he was not good for city for the first half of the year, he's only beeen worthy of it since his move to Villa.

I went for Hangeland, brilliantly consistant, and Fulham were watertight last season

I was pretty much going to write the same post! Dunne wasn't great at all at the start of the calendar year. People are voting for him with his performances for Ireland, which were nothing short of heroic, and his recent form in mind.

I also voted for Hangeland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

R. Ferdinand
    Can you not do the other type of poll with the checkboxes to vote for 2 defenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bramble
    Shawcross and Hangeland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Bramble
    Shawcross.

He was superb last season and has continued to do well this season, he gets my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

R. Ferdinand
    Vidic for the run of clean sheets. I haven't seen enough of Shawcross and Dunne was woeful for City in 09.

Bramble
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    Shawcross and Hangeland

I'd agree with that mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

R. Ferdinand
    where Johnny Evans :confused:? Pool and Chelsea have 3 so thats not the reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Turner
    hangeland for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Bramble
    kida wrote: »
    where Johnny Evans :confused:?

Treatment room

Bramble
    Vidic and Dunne seem like they will run away with this - What a shock :rolleyes:

I can understand Vidic being in there but Dunne was awful for most of 2009, there's no way that he deserves to be ahead of the consistently excellent Hangeland or Shawcross on the back of a decent 3 months with Villa.

It was inevitable though, wasn't it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

R. Ferdinand
    LOL at Ferdinand having 0 votes and Dunne looks like he's running away with the 2nd spot

Edit: just noticed Titus Bramble has more votes than Rio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Dawson
    my christ, i am the only one so far to vote for Rio, yet people have voted for upson and Cuellar.

i am now convinced more than ever that most people on this forum havent a clue about football and just believe whatever Dunphy and co say

If he played in Italy or spain he'd be hailed as one of the best defenders of the last 10 years in Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

R. Ferdinand
    typical, people voting on what they remmeeber from this season, not last..

dunne wasnt one of the best last season, this yes, but not last season...

vidic is in cos of the run of clean sheets, but the other position is tough...

shawcross i think should get the other spot, in a team with a great defensive record always...

• Advertisement

Turner
    event wrote: »
    my christ, i am the only one so far to vote for Rio, yet people have voted for upson and Cuellar.

i am now convinced more than ever that most people on this forum havent a clue about football and just believe whatever Dunphy and co say

If he played in Italy or spain he'd be hailed as one of the best defenders of the last 10 years in Europe
    What has he done this year to make him the best defender in 2009?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bramble
    Not surprised at Dunne's number of votes. People definitely have short term memories for polls like this. City were leaking goals for the majority of the last campaign and he was sent off more than once if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gallas
    event wrote: »

Lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Dawson
    What has he done this year to make him the best defender in 2009?

helped a team get to the champions league final, won a league.

what did upson do?

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Jagielka
    These are pointless polls, you either have to be Irish or play for Man United to win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

R. Ferdinand
    Liam O wrote: »
    LOL at Ferdinand having 0 votes and Dunne looks like he's running away with the 2nd spot

Edit: just noticed Titus Bramble has more votes than Rio...

Thats because the vote/poll is flawed.

If it were possible to have two votes each the results would be more realistic.

As has been said, the stand out defender throughout 2009 was Vidic.

Suppose everyone who votes for Vidic believes Carvalho should be 2nd.

Vidic ends up with 100% of the vote and Carvalho gets 0%...

It is clear already that something is wrong. When 3 of the worlds best defenders Terry, Carvalho and Rio only have 10% of the overall vote combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Come on lads Dunne and Hangeland, sure it's only a bit of fun...not like we're voting for the best players in the world ever ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,011 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bukman13 wrote: »
    Thats because the vote/poll is flawed.

If it were possible to have two votes each the results would be more realistic.

As has been said, the stand out defender throughout 2009 was Vidic.

Suppose everyone who votes for Vidic believes Carvalho should be 2nd.

Vidic ends up with 100% of the vote and Carvalho gets 0%...

It is clear already that something is wrong. When 3 of the worlds best defenders Terry, Carvalho and Rio only have 10% of the overall vote combined.
    You are not with it at all, if there were two votes it would end up either two United central defenders or Vidic and Dunne as its likely to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Cuellar
    Dunne and one of Hangeland/Shawcross. Not Vidic after Torres made him skid his jocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Where the hell is the option for Vermaelen??? Deserves a spot on that list!

• Advertisement
Advertisement