Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EPL Team of the Year 2009 - Central Defence

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Bramble
    jasonorr wrote: »
    Where the hell is the option for Vermaelen??? Deserves a spot on that list!
    Given that he played in a different league for the first half of the year I don't think he should be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Voltwad wrote: »
    Given that he played in a different league for the first half of the year I don't think he should be considered.

I'm sure he's played more than a few players on that list if you want to be pedantic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

R. Ferdinand
    eagle eye wrote: »
    if there were two votes it would end up either two United central defenders or Vidic and Dunne as its likely to be.

Maybe so.

But having two votes (whether it by in the same poll or individually), would have produce a fairer result.

Any one voting now who might have wanted to vote for someone other than Vidic, Dunne and Hangeland, will be just wasting a vote and more than likely they will choose one of the above 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

R. Ferdinand
    Voltwad wrote: »

same for dunne then? he was ina different league to what he was last season...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Jagielka
    This is actually a tough one to decide, centre backs have been quite strong this year imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Carvalho
    King has been superb especially the back end of last season gets my vote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Gallas
    Vidic and Carvalho for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Samba
    King has been superb especially the back end of last season gets my vote

How many games did he play out of interest vs total games spurs played in this time? I reckon 50% or less so how can he be considered???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Gallas
    Carvalho and Dunne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

R. Ferdinand
    Dunnes been great for Villa. Wasn't so great for city last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

R. Ferdinand
    Vida, Vendi, Vicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Turner
    vidic and hangeland.

vidic, because he is the bravest, most imposing defender in the league. he almost single handedly brought utd through that run of clean sheets.

hangeland was imperious for fulham all last season. he had an average start to this, but has recently been back to his best; completely dominating rooney last weekend.

i voted hangeland, because vidic will easily get through imo.

i don't think dunne should get it. he's had a wonderful start to his Villa career but he was fairly dodgy throughout the end of his City career, which people conveneiently forget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

R. Ferdinand
    Since the start of this season it would be Dunne for me, but he wasn't great with city last season, so I went with Vidic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

R. Ferdinand
    This poll should be scrapped btw so we can pick our own personal top two.

Gallas
    RasTa wrote: »

Would it be possible to let this poll run for a while, then open a new poll with all the permutation pairings of the top 4 or 5 results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Bramble
    Gone for Shawcross,Stoke wouldnt be the same team without him in the last 12 months or so.Terry,Vidic,Rio,Carvalho all been injured too much to be really that consistent.

Plus being a City fan,didnt wanna vote for any of the big fella's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

R. Ferdinand
    RasTa wrote: »

+1, Yea only having one vote to fill two positions seems like a bad idea.
    Neil3030 wrote: »
    Would it be possible to let this poll run for a while, then open a new poll with all the permutation pairings of the top 4 or 5 results?

This could work, but everyone voting for their top two should yield the same result as this anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Turner
    Dunne has been very good for Villa, but i thought he was crap for City last season, so I wouldn't vote for him on that basis. Gave my vote to Hangeland (sp..)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Other
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Turner
    lol
    at what?

• Advertisement

Turner
    at what?

I would imagine it was my assertation that Dunne was crap last season. Maybe that was harsh, but I certainly believe he was not at his best, not even close to it, at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Turner
    Fair enough i suppose, i went for dunne anyway, he's made city look like absolute fools this season and Hangeland for his performances at the end of last season.

Turner
    I would imagine it was my assertation that Dunne was crap last season. Maybe that was harsh, but I certainly believe he was not at his best, not even close to it, at all.

you weren't harsh.

people are looking at his start with Villa and, perhaps understandably, forgetting his cr*pness for City for much of last season.

Gallas
    SlickRic wrote: »
    you weren't harsh.

people are looking at his start with Villa and, perhaps understandably, forgetting his cr*pness for City for much of last season.

People are also looking at his nationality in all fairness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Other

Nope, I picked Agger :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Agger
    Went with Jagielka, he was great last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Dunne being 2nd at the moment is laughable. It's only because he's Irish imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

R. Ferdinand
    p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Dunne being 2nd at the moment is laughable. It's only because he's Irish imo

You think thats bad, Carvalho is only on 6 votes. He would certainly have been my second choice after Vidic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Cuellar
    Dunne, has been probably the bets defender this season, I actually don't particularily care for the guy, and think he's played alot of bad games for the country.

But as I said for me he's been the best Central Defender this season, which 18 games in so basically exactly half of the season, he was still good for Man City last season just got scapegoated somewhat.

Carvalho? Again I though we were voting on team of the year? He hasn't played enough, He's and absoltuly fantastic defender when he plays but it hasn't been enough over the last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gallas
    I said Dunne and Hangeland
    How?

I don't like how there's one poll cos we only get to vote for one CB :[

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Turner
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Carvalho didn't play much towards the end of last season with injuries? I certainly remember Alex getting a big run in the team.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Turner
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Carvalho didn't play much towards the end of last season with injuries? I certainly remember Alex getting a big run in the team.

this is correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Cuellar
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Carvalho? Again I though we were voting on team of the year? He hasn't played enough, He's and absoltuly fantastic defender when he plays but it hasn't been enough over the last year.
    this is correct.

Great minds think alike? or is it fools seldom differ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Turner
    mayordenis wrote: »
    Great minds think alike? or is it fools seldom differ?

the first one. definitely the first one. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Gallas
    curry-muff wrote: »
    You think thats bad, Carvalho is only on 6 votes. He would certainly have been my second choice after Vidic.
    Likewise altough i disagree on Vidic. He has'nt been the same since Torres ripped him a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Cuellar
    Dunne and Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dawson
    LOL AT Dunne.

That's just hilarious, utterly hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Gallas
    PHB wrote: »
    LOL AT Dunne.

That's just hilarious, utterly hilarious.
    Oh that's nothing. You should see who got RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Nelsen
    as i thought before reading posts, many biased united fans automatically voted for ferdinand and vidic, and some even said o'shea should be there. i can understand vidic being voted in but not ferdinand.

i voted for terry :)

• Advertisement

Turner
    vidic, hangeland, jagielka, terry, ferdinand, shawcross and skrtel were the standout CBs last year imo. in that order.

this year dunne and terry are the only ones who've really impressed for me, with honourable mentions to roger johnson, shawcross, and recently hangeland again.

dunne isn't a competely ridiculous shout given his form this season. but i still don't think he should be in people's top 4 picks. but as people have pointed out, his irishness is boosting his prospects!

carvalho is far more ridiculous, mainly due to his lack of games

Turner
    vidic, hangeland, jagielka, terry, ferdinand, shawcross and skrtel were the standout CBs last year imo. in that order.

this year dunne and terry are the only ones who've really impressed for me, with honourable mentions to roger johnson, shawcross, and recently hangeland again.

dunne isn't a competely ridiculous shout given his form this season. but i still don't think he should be in people's top 4 picks. but as people have pointed out, his irishness is boosting his prospects!

carvalho is far more ridiculous, mainly due to his lack of games

With regards Vidic, he was amazing around the turn of the year, but from the Inter game onwards (Fulham, Liverpool, Villa for example) he had a dodgy patch. Wasn't great vs Barcelona either, though he had picked up his form domestically, to some extent. This year he has missed a large enough number of games too.

Thats the reason I didn't vote for him - he was brilliant in December, January, February and part of march, and picked up again in May. This season he has been decent, but not played brilliantly or been available consistently enough to get my vote.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Sheepy99 wrote: »
    as i thought before reading posts, many biased united fans automatically voted for ferdinand and vidic, and some even said o'shea should be there. i can understand vidic being voted in but not ferdinand.

i voted for terry :)

wtf?

Rio has only 6 votes. Dunne has a ridiculous amount of votes. Its like people only remember the last month and a half.

edit: and Bramble has 3 votes and yet you chose to look at Rio. Typical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Gallas
    Bramble was probably one of the worst CB's in the Premier League with Newcastle, but he has been very very good with Wigan.One of the most improved players I have seen, all the criticism of him now us unfair, he is a solid CB now.

Turner
    With regards Vidic, he was amazing around the turn of the year, but from the Inter game onwards (Fulham, Liverpool, Villa for example) he had a dodgy patch. Wasn't great vs Barcelona either, though he had picked up his form domestically, to some extent. This year he has missed a large enough number of games too.

Thats the reason I didn't vote for him - he was brilliant in December, January, February and part of march, and picked up again in May. This season he has been decent, but not played brilliantly or been available consistently enough to get my vote.

very honest.

personally, i think he did enough during those months in question to be near the top of people's lists. he was pretty much flawless for them. i remember games where he was a one-man wall.

i voted for hangeland myself, because i assumed vidic would win the poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Bramble
    Though it probably won't make a difference, I voted for Shawcross. Been very impressed with him and he's not afraid to put his head where it hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

event wrote: »
    my christ, i am the only one so far to vote for Rio, yet people have voted for upson and Cuellar.

i am now convinced more than ever that most people on this forum havent a clue about football and just believe whatever Dunphy and co say

If he played in Italy or spain he'd be hailed as one of the best defenders of the last 10 years in Europe

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

R. Ferdinand

For me all of this is enough for my vote, and this is coming from a Liverpool fan. I just think that achieving the very best in football weighs a lot on Vidic's side. Fair play to Shawcross and Hangeland, but to be the team's most important player for several months at a very important time in a Championship winning team is a bigger achievment in my opinion. Also remember we're talking about PL, so I assume we're disregarding European games?

I still think it might have been a better idea to run a poll with multiple choices, so people could vote for the 2 players, seeing as 2 players get in from this spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Nelsen
    This is for 2009 yeah? How is richard dunne in the top pairing? Does no one remember how bad he was for the second half of last season? Mistake after mistake.

Id go for terry and gallas probably. For consistency and having to organise the respective defences.

Shawcross, hangeland and dawson have all been immense as well but my single vote goes for terry.

Turner
    ha.

dunne is 4 votes behind vidic, 13 ahead of hangeland, and a ridiculous amount ahead of terry.

f*cking hilarious sh*t altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Agger
    ha.

dunne is 4 votes behind vidic, 13 ahead of hangeland, and a ridiculous amount ahead of terry.

f*cking hilarious sh*t altogether.

Slick you'd know well your a newbie with that post

it's the sf, where strange and bizarre things happen ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement