Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

recommend a bird feeder?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

can anyone recommend a bird feeder and where to buy?

is it possible to get a portable one rather than having to fix it in the garden

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

You can get a feeder that attaches to the window with suction cups in Mr. Middletons in Mary Street in Dublin. The section that holds the seeds can be detached and taken in at night and then re-filled and re-attached next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Argos do bird feeders I think, a traditional looking bird table works grand and looks nice in any garden. You can nail on some really small hooks onto the sides of it to hang some of the food and move it around the garden if needed. It's a good idea though to keep a bird feeder in one place you might get more birds coming back each time.

Or the wrought iron ones, any of them really work fine. Some you just stick in the ground.

If you already have some fencing or trees they work just as well. Even small trees.

A lot of hardware shops are selling them as well.

Just as important is a bird bath at this time of year and so break up the ice in it regularly, birds can become very thirsty at this time of year esp. if eating more seeds than fruits.

Good idea to spread the food out as well in different parts of the garden, Robins can be bullies and blackbirds can shoo robins away.

We've loads in the garden atm they are so hungry poor things, today had a bunch of house sparrows, the robin, male and female blackbirds and a wagtail.
    Blackbirds are so cute.

Putting some leaf litter or bark mulch around the garden, under hedges etc. is great for blackbirds and thrushes etc. they love to turn the leaves over to find hibernating insects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ceoexec2

great thanks bvery much for that.

i havent used one before but its good to give them a hand out.

can you tell me how i should prepare the food and water etc.

how much food to leave out and how to prepare the bird bath

how to position it so that its safe from cats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

The Nature & Bird watching forum might have some info in there too if you want a look :)

Advertisement