Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icy Roads

Options
  • 23-12-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭

My family is traveling down to visit relatives in Killarney tomorrow (Christmas eve). I'm hoping today's sun clears some ice, but I believe tomorrow is meant to be bad again. Any local knowledge of problems or slowdowns on route from Limerick to Killarney that might be useful to know? I'm also wondering if I should expect long delays anywhere as I have two babies in tow. Any help much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

A buddy of mine said that around Abbeyfeale was quite bad the other night, most of the mains roads are gritted now and should be fairly ok, but still keep your wits about you! Drive safe and give yourself plenty of time, the traffic around Killarney town is very heavy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Drove the N20/N21 from Limerick to Abbeyfeale today and noticeably alot of snow in the surrounding area but very little ice. I would be careful driving down tomorrow especially from Newcastle-west to Templeglantine where the road is very poor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Remember to drive in a higher gear than normal, brake and accelerate very gently! You can also use engine braking instead, which is just shifting into a lower gear and taking the clutch out, the car will slow down a bit. Also slow well down before coming to corners, rather than slowing on corners.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Lads any updates on the Limerick to Killarney road? Travelling down tomorrow for Rockfest in the INEC and trying to gauge how long i should allow for the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

timbertime wrote: »
    Rockfest in the INEC.
    What this about?
    EDIT; I see now
    http://www.inec.ie/Events/index.php?event_action=view&eid=207&instance=2009-12-28

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭timbertime

Its actually Rockbox! I got confused. Its just a concert!
    http://www.inec.ie/Events/index.php?event_action=View&eid=207&instance=2009-12-28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Drove Shannon - Limerick - Castleisland last night (Saturday) at about 10pm. Had no problems with cars moving more or less as normal. Not quite sure it would be as easy today with many national primary / secondary roads in mid-Kerry covered in ice this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

timbertime wrote: »
    Lads any updates on the Limerick to Killarney road? Travelling down tomorrow for Rockfest in the INEC and trying to gauge how long i should allow for the journey.

Hey watch out for the Abbeyfeale to CastleIsland and Newcastle-west to Templeglantine, this would be the worst parts of the roads and more likely to have ice and fog, also CastleIsland to Farranfore could be bad, any road could be bad really just allow yourself loads of time and drive slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The slow lane on the Abbeyfeale side of the N21 at Castleisland was brutal tonight, 45 min tailbacks heading south. As I was passing cars were failing into dikes and being pushed up the hill. Eventually the road had to be closed and has now reopened with some of the snow cleared away. Wasnt great coming back car was sliding all over the place, just to be aware when taking the N21 folks.
    **This information is correct as off 11:15pm Tues 29th Dec. It will be next updated at 6.30am Weds 30th.** **CONDITIONS** *MUNSTER* *KERRY* Gardai advise motorists to drive with extra care around Castleisland due to icy road conditions. * The N21 Castleisland/Abbeyfeale Rd is closed until further notice due to treacherous condition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

tech2 wrote: »
    The slow lane on the Abbeyfeale side of the N21 at Castleisland was brutal tonight, 45 min tailbacks heading south.

Hi guys - I'm due to do Ennis to Tralee tomorrow 31st. Would I be better off going Limerick to Foynes and on to Tralee?, a route I am not really familiar with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

dh0661 wrote: »
    Would I be better off going Limerick to Foynes and on to Tralee?

Drove that route today and the roads were fine :) Its pretty straight forward - just dont miss the turn off for Listowel in Tarbert.

Advertisement