Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has it ever really gone away?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So then about 6 million people go to footie matches in the year and about 2000 get arrested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Sky Sports New certainly wouldn't report, it would tarnish the image.

I believe it has been curtailed, but the recent Millwall/West Ham trouble shows it hasn't disappeared.

If you were to believe the Oirish media though, there is a much worse problem here, which is an absolute travesty and lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Des wrote: »
    Sky Sports New certainly wouldn't report, it would tarnish the image.

I believe it has been curtailed, but the recent Millwall/West Ham trouble shows it hasn't disappeared.

If you were to believe the Oirish media though, there is a much worse problem here, which is an absolute travesty and lies.

It does kick off here but rarely. (Pardon the pun)

mike65 wrote: »
    So then about 6 million people go to footie matches in the year and about 2000 get arrested?

Arrested. These are the incidents that are properly policed. I could almost guarantee there are a large number of incidents that take place that the police get nowhere near.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

orourkeda wrote: »
    It does kick off here but rarely. (Pardon the pun)

I know there are problems assiciated with certain aspects of support in this country, I'm not denying.

But if anyone thinks it's anywhere near the scale that it is on the mainland then they are delusional or have an agenda.

Here, it's mostly "skoolies" pretending to fight, and it sometimes becomes physical, over the water though, it's actually adults, men in their 20s, 30s and 40s who are actually physically engaging outside grounds in arranged skirmishes.

It is there, it does happen, but not on the scale of the 70s and 80s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Des is in a feisty mood - Mainland? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Never gone away tbh, look across Europe for example. It's only died down in England due to the fact many of the hooligans probably can't afford tickets anymore.

I know there are problems assiciated with certain aspects of support in this country, I'm not denying.

But if anyone thinks it's anywhere near the scale that it is on the mainland then they are delusional or have an agenda.

Here, it's mostly "skoolies" pretending to fight, and it sometimes becomes physical, over the water though, it's actually adults, men in their 20s, 30s and 40s who are actually physically engaging outside grounds in arranged skirmishes.

It is there, it does happen, but not on the scale of the 70s and 80s.

Its definitely only handbags here.

Still some of the incidents in England are pretty serious.

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

NO!...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

As someone who very regularly attends Arsenal matches, can hontsly say I rarely see any trouble if any at all, that is based on the last 10 years, and I have always felt safe at matches, much safer then I would on a weekend night out in Dublin.

From what I have seen heard, things are far worse in other parts of Europe but tend not to get reported much

Just looked at the figures, ah come on lads, at utd for instance 185 arrested, this is over a season!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

No. Got caught up in a incident last year after the Villa away match so i know first hand that it's not. You hear less and less about it now as it's not in the interest of the media and with the World Cup bid coming up it will get reported less and less. It's nothing like it used to be in the 80's i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

We may have the most hooligan arrests. But I'd love to know how many hubcaps have been stolen outside Anfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Osu wrote: »
    We may have the most hooligan arrests. But I'd love to know how many hubcaps have been stolen outside Anfield.
    :o for ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

mike65 wrote: »

And if you believe some people about 1600 of them are Rangers fans! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

United top of the league, yesssss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Bandit12 wrote: »
    :o for ya.

How?.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If you were to believe the Oirish media though, there is a much worse problem here

:confused: Also i see you are a Mod. I dont get it. It seems you are trying to stir things. Maybe i'm wrong.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah f*ck sake Des

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

:confused: Also i see you are a Mod. I dont get it. It seems you are trying to stir things. Maybe i'm wrong.....

Yes your are wrong , Des is 110 years old, he never really got over King Georges death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

Very much an ongoing issue. Amazing the amount of time there is 'traffic' delay problems!

The powers that be a happy to keep the problems away from the grounds and promote the myth that the issue is under control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Maybe this thread should be moved to the conspiracy theory forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Have a couple of mates in UK who are season ticket holders and go to most away games. they say it's still almost as bad as ever but as long as it's kept away from the stadiums and the cameras the authorities are happy and obviosly it suits sky to keep a lid on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

How old are your mates? They obviously didn't see the football violence of the 70s and 80s, because it is nowhere near what it was like back then. Not even in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Bandit12 wrote: »
    No. Got caught up in a incident last year after the Villa away match so i know first hand that it's not. You hear less and less about it now as it's not in the interest of the media and with the World Cup bid coming up it will get reported less and less. It's nothing like it used to be in the 80's i'd say.

Well I have loads of first hand experience at Arsenal, their is little or no trouble at matches, certainly nothing in the stadium, pubs near by and surrounding stadiums, not to say that incidents do not occur which I'm sure happens to some extent including Ireland.

Advertisement