Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24-60mm lens how useful?

• 23-12-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im going to buy a camera, i have been reading a lot of reviews, one of the cameras that stands out is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3, the one thing im not sure about is the lens, 60mm seems very short. I would like to get into photography, im not sure if this would be versitile enough. That said i belive in the past a lot of people would have just had a 50mm lens and used it all the time, but then maybe they didnt do a lot of things with it.. Any opinions on this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thats a decent camera.
    For a point and shoot camera thats about the maximum zoom you will get.
    What type of photography do you wish to pursue ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

You're paying in part for the 24mm at the short end. That's pretty wide for a P&S, plus it's f/2.0. The long end isn't particularly long but all in all the 24->60 would probably do for 99% of what you want to do with a compact.
    -edit- I have a 135mm which I use very rarely for portrait stuff. Other than that all my stuff is taken between 20->50 or so. Wide->Short tele I think is much more useful than normal->tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Id like something with a wide fast lens, i want to get into photography as a hobby, landscape and portrait photography mainly i think. Id like something that works well in low light, has really good build quality, manual controls and is fairly compact. Years ago i had a film slr with a battery grip and i just found it so awkward to bring places i didnt use it that much. I would like a dslr but i think something like this might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 vibhutirs

I think it'll be fairly decent lens for regular shoots. For shoots, falling on either side <24mm or >60mm, would call for dedicated lens.Of course, if you have deep pockets you can go for versatile lens for 18-200mm.
    BTW what kind of photography are you thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

vibhutirs wrote: »
    I think it'll be fairly decent lens for regular shoots. For shoots, falling on either side <24mm or >60mm, would call for dedicated lens.Of course, if you have deep pockets you can go for versatile lens for 18-200mm.
    BTW what kind of photography are you thinking about?

Its a compact camera so id be stuck with i.

Unless would something like this be good or are those kind of things junk?

http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/product.asp?pt_id=1496&p_id=4817&lg=1&c=TELEPHOTO_LENS_for_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-LX3

• Advertisement
Advertisement