Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17" vs 18" alloys

• 23-12-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a new A3 with the Sline package. It comes with 17" alloys and I was considering upgrading them to 18" alloys but I'm worried about the comfort being greatly reduced.

Will 18" alloys make much difference to the ride?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a new A3 with the Sline package. It comes with 17" alloys and I was considering upgrading them to 18" alloys but I'm worried about the comfort being greatly reduced.

Will 18" alloys make much difference to the ride?

Thanks in advance.

No but they will get damaged by potholes eaisier, and be more expensive to buy tyres for, and not as good for handling, but they will look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

They would only make a bit of a difference to the ride I would think.

The S-Line suspension will probably already have ruined it anyway to be honest.

They would look quite nice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jayotala

No, but depending on the profile of the tyre, small potholes will feel like they hurt if ya know what I mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I have an S-line A4 with 17". I hate the ride. I would dread the 18" as I mainly use back roads.

Would they look good? Hell yeah as long as they are tasteful replicas.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭CantThinkOfANam

Hmm thanks for all the replies. Think I'll have to stick with the 17" alloys. Shame as the 18" ones I was looking at are the RS4 ones with a titanium finish:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i had 18" on my SE E90 and 18" on my E90 Msport and the ride and handling is better and more comfy on the Msport.

it depends on the tyres, and car tbh, 17" on my older 04 civic is a bone shaker for comparision!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I've 17's and they are bad for comfort. I'd think twice before doing anything. Maybe try test drive one on 18's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

The size of the wheel is a way distant factor to the profile height of the tyre when considering comfort and hardness. I had 20" on the Phaeton (A8 size car) and it wasnt particularity hard as the height of the tyre sidewall was still effectively taller than say, an A3 (Golf size) on 18" rims.
    Suspension also plays a more significant role than pure rim size.

I think the OP and most of the replies are completely missing this point, larger alloys dont make hard rides, the requisite reduction in rubber does. The bigger the car, the larger overall wheel diameter (tyres + rim) and the more freedom you have for wheel sizes.

Saying that, I would personally say -
    A3/Golf 17" max
    A4/Passat 18" max (my old Audi S4 on stock suspension and 18" wheels was really nice)
    A8/7 series/S Class - 19" with 20" possible pending suspension type.

Use this tool (in metric mode ideally) to see the before and after sidewall height when going from 17" to 18" (or whatever):
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Ever mm you loose is felt as hardness and possibly damaged wheels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Or just buy a Scirocco?
    Volkswagen-Scirocco.jpg

Better car in any respect I can think of and will surely hold its money better.

Advertisement