Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gelatine substitute?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

This will be my first vegetarian Christmas, and I'm determined to make my traditional sherry trifle.

I can only do so, however, with a decent gelatine substitute...

I've left it a tad late, I know, but does anyone have a good recommendation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

agar flakes? ask in any health food store and hopefully they will still have something in stock still that will do the trick. i think some big supermarkets have veggie versions available on the shelf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Would suggest agar as well. If there are any asian food shops near you could try there for some as it's very common in Japanese deserts.

Otherwise here's a Traditional Trifle recipe from Delia Smith which does not need jelly:
    3 egg yolks, 1 pint double cream, 1oz caster sugar, 1 level teaspoon cornflour (for the custard) 5 trifle sponge cakes, 2oz flaked almonds lightly toasted, some raspberry jam, 2oz sherry, 8oz frozen raspberries- no need to defrost, 2 small bananas peeled and sliced thinly.
    Break sponge into pieces and spread jam on each piece. Put into large glass bowl and sprinkle the raspberries and sherry over them, giving everything a good stir to soak up the sherry.
    Make custard, heat 1/2 pint cream in small saucepan. Blend egg yolks, sugar and cornflour together thoroughly in a basin, and when cream is hot, pour it over the egg mixture stirring the whole time. Now return the custard to the saucepan and stir over a very low heat until thick, then remove it and allow to cool.
    Slice bananas, sprinkle amongst raspberries etc and pour custard over.
    Whip remaining cream and spread over the top. Decorate with flaked almonds. Cover and chill 3 to 4 hours before serving. Serves 6 to 8 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Thank you! You people are so helpful :)

I'll go on a hunt for agare flakes/agar tomorrow, but failing that I'll use the recipe!

Happy Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

Incase anyone's interested: I got agar flakes at Here's Health on Patrick Street in Cork (about 4 quid for a little box).

They worked perfectly, tasted and looked like ordinary gelatin jelly. I added vanilla for taste.

It didn't quite hold like jelly does, so I'd suggest consumption within one day.

Thanks for letting us know :) I've never used agar flakes, only the instant veggie jelly from Just Wholefoods, but I'll have to experiment with the agar flakes some day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Where can you get the instant stuff?

If you are asking about the jelly, most health food stores stock it. You can get strawberry, lemon, tropical and raspberry.
    552945b.jpg

Advertisement