Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy way to stop smoking

• 23-12-2009 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hello, My suggestion to anyone wanting to stop is to read the Allen Carr Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

I was a heavy smoker for years, always feared giving up, advice in magazins and leaflets was to avoid triggers such as coffee, alchohal etc. This to me meant i would have to give up tea and going out to the pubs, something i didnt want to do, i shouldnt need to.

The book is an easy read, especially when youre not a reader anyway, the only book i read before the Allen Carr book was to kill a mocking bird for my leaving cert.

The book just teaches you that your not giving up anything. If you still smoke after you havent lost anything give it a go anyway. Im 2 years of the fags and i feel really great.

I never had even a craving believe or not since i finished the book. It was instant relief from smoking.

Give it a go, you've nothing to lose

Best of luck

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭CityCentreMan

Most of this post I had previously posted in another thread but it seems relevant here as well. BTW, I obviously agree with the original post above!

I smoked fairly heavily from the age of 13 to 43 when I gave them up. I am 48 now and thankfully I see no temptation at all to go back.

Before quitting, I tried unsuccessfully a number of times using various methods including willpower alone, hypnosis, nicotine chewing gum.

The combination that worked for me was :
    a) Getting to the point of really really wanting to give them up;
    b) Going on Alan Carrs - Easyway to give Up Smoking course;
    c) Reading the Alan Carr book.
    d) introduction of the smoking ban in pubs.

I asked my wife that year to enroll me on the Alan Carr course as my Christmas present.

The course was good but it was'nt a "Magic bullet". But in conjunction with the book, I eventually gave them up.

Having smoked for so long, I honestly had little memory of what it was like to spend a day without smoking. My memories of "Nicotine Deprivation" were limited to the agony of translantic flights & associated withdrawal that that entailed. My brain, both concious & subconcious were horrified at the prospect of never never being able to enjoy a cigerette ever again.

What I liked about Alan Carr's method was that it gave me a different perspective in that smoking was'nt something that I was giving up but rather, it was a hell / prison from which I was escaping.

Effectively it is almost like a "Positive Brain Washing" experience which counteracts all of the Negative Brainwashing that we recieve throughout our smoking career. By Negative Brainwashing I mean:
    a) Advertising;
    b) Sponsorship;
    c) Cool portrayal of smokers on TV, Media;
    d) The conflicting advice from other smokers who (to children & non-smokers) advise against smoking but still continue to do so themselves (and appear to enjoy themselves)
    e) The advice that giving up is very very difficult & that tremendous willpower is required.

The approach starts off not by trying to persuade you to stop but rather it forces you to question why you ever started in the first place and what is it about smoking that could possibly cause you to want to continue.

Does it make you live longer?
    Does it make you more attractive to the opposite sex?
    Does it make you smell better?
    Is it going to make you rich?
    In terms of enjoyment how does it compare with sex?
    etc etc etc

It also makes you question your apparant "enjoyment" of those cigerettes that everyone really enjoys or thinks that they do...

With coffee after a big meal;
    After sex;
    First thing in the morning;
    After a flight...

But you are forced to realize that the reasons that these are enjoyable is simply and only because these follow a long period of "deprivation" and your body, in its nicotine addicted state, is screaming at you to give it some nicotine. As such the perceived enjoyment is'nt like sex it is just the relief felt by a junkie getting his / her fix.

Having established that smoking is totally illogical & that the only reason that you smoke is because of the physical addiction he then moves on to outline and to get you to convince yourself of the benefits of stopping:

1) I was spending about EU100 / week (which cost has now been offset by 2 kids so i am not any richer anyway!)
    2) Cheaper life insurance;
    3) Wheeze gone
    4) Fitter;
    5) Wife says I smell better;
    6) Hopefully will longer;
    7) Less likely to get cancer
    etc etc

The AC method also goes a long way to addressing the myth that smoking is so so hard to "give up". The physical addiction, in reality lasts only about 3 - 4 weeks and effectively the stregth of it is further reduced each day.

It is the mental addiction which I had always found hard to deal with and this is the part that Alan Carr addresses so well. When you have convinced yourself that:

a) There are no good logical reasons to continue;
    b) Smoking has no benefits whatsoever;
    c) Giving up has loads & loads of benefits;
    d) Giving up is going to be a lot easier than everyone make out.

Then your brain, both concious & subconcious, is faced with a dilemna that makes it difficult to continue. at that point, the only issue to be addressed is the physical addiction and to be honest - its not that bad.

The Alan Carr book, "The Easy Way to Give Up smoking" will cost you less than the price of 2 packets of cigerettes. I would honestly recommend it to you as being a no-lose option.

It is a sad reflection of the dangers of smoking that Alan Carr himself left it too late and he died of lung cancer. I hope that I did'nt leave it too late and that you dont either.

I have been free from smoking now for 5 years and my most frequent nightmare is that I wake up all blocked up & back smoking again.

I wish you all the best in your quest to escape from your smoking addiction. It is something that you wont ever regret doing.smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I got that Alan Carr book but it didn't do much for me I have to say. I'd be interested in giving both of these methods a bash though because I promised the other half that I'd kick the habit for New Years & here I am sitting here with a fag in my mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Twain

Thanks for your long detailed post, City Center man.
    I plan to stop tonight, near the end of Allen Carr's book at the moment. I stopped before with his method and found it so easy, but started again... anyway, this time this is it for sure.

Phat Cat, look up Allen Carr/Easyway on You Tube for some videos - this will give you motivation and help you "get" the method. Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Another one who found it falling-off-a-log easy to quit with Allen Carr. My whole family and a number of friends of family quit at around the same time via the single circulated copy!

4 years of willpower free non-smoking and I fell into the trap again. On holidays with a group of folk smoking dope and I indulged myself a few times. Stepped off the plane in Dublin with 200 duty free under my arm. It took two year before the horror of smoking had fully settled in again: the smell, the hacking cough, the social-phariah status

So I read the book again. And it worked straight away.

4 years of willpower free non-smoking and I fell into the trap again (non of those who quit originally have ever fallen back in - I must be a little dense). It was a celebratory cigar that did the trick this time. Another two years before I got to reading the book again.

But it didn't work.

Read it again

But it didn't work.

Went to the seminar at the Red Cow

It worked.

I'm three years willpower free non-smoking and I'm ne'er going near Nick O'Teen again - in any of it's forms//

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I do the hypnosis with a guy in Limerick...
    first time off them I was 4 years ciggie free.
    Make the mistake of moving back home and within 2 weeks back them.
    I've been back a couple of times to him but find that I missed them (especially at work) and go back on them for a few months and then trot off to the hypnotist again to go back off them..
    Luckily he's a really nice guy and understands me :)
    I think my main problem was the first time, in my heart and soul I knew that I'd be dead if I didn't quit...I was smoking over 40 a day and coughing my lungs out.
    Now I'm only on them for about 3-4months at a time and then I quit again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Heavy smoker from 14- 30. Read Carr's book two days after my 30th birthday ( an age I swore blind I'd give up) and I never smoked again- I even had 8 cigarettes left in the pack when I gave up.
    I'm 37 now and have never even had a craving. It is remarkable way to adjust a person's thinking on a habit. The most liberating aspect for me was discovering just how weak nicotine really is as a a drug, I had always been led to believe the withdrawal was horrendous. But nope, it's not. It's just in your head. His inner dragon analogy was extremely helpful to be as I could really visualise it, and thus kick it's stupid head in.
    If you are serious about quitting smoking it is a very useful tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

. His inner dragon analogy was extremely helpful to be as I could really visualise it, and thus kick it's stupid head in.
    If you are serious about quitting smoking it is a very useful tool.

Ya my little dude is kinda like crazy frog so i get a double pleasure in kicking the crap out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Antiskeptic - that is amazing that fall and get back up again.

I gave up for four years after reading Alan Carr about 8 years ago. I vaguely remember a chapter about looking at other people and feeling sorry for them cos they had to smoke and you didn't. ?? That hit a note with me at the time.

Anyway after four years I started going out with a smoker and gave in one night and was back on them again after one measly little drag :mad:

I'm not with him anymore and I only really smoke now when I'm out drinking or if I'm stressed. But God do I go hell for leather on those occasions. I haven't had any since last Sunday or Monday but I have been thinking I'd love to give up completely.

Reading your posts I think its brilliant that some of you have been brave enough to keep trying again and again. It used to use that story of me giving up for four years. But that was five years ago!

It's such a buzz when you realise you haven't even thought about them for a while.

I think its time to have a re-read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Cork Boy wrote: »
    Ya my little dude is kinda like crazy frog so i get a double pleasure in kicking the crap out of it :D

Hah! Good choice. I know it sounds weird to people, but it really helps having that mental image. I remember standing in my kitchen with a bit of a craving the second day going '**** you dragon, I hear you but I won't feed you, go on you little **** starve,' out loud. I'm shaking my head and laughing now, but honestly it really helped a lot knowing that 'it' was going to get weaker the more I starved it. Makes you reconsider even having one.

And good luck Dolliemix! It can't hurt to try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

Ya i feel i've real control over the dragon now so i'm really starting to fck with him now (lets see how he likes DEM APPLES :D).

I've a new trick, when i do get a craving i acknowledge it, look to my stomach and in an inner baby voice ask "Awwww does Mr Dwagon wanna cookie??"
    "PSYCHE!!!!"

Mwahahahahahaha!

• Advertisement

dolliemix wrote: »
    Antiskeptic - that is amazing that fall and get back up again.

Necessity I'm afraid. The reason for wanting to quit the first time is the same as every time. It doesn't alter no matter how many times you fail. Smoking is still and always will be... a mugs game. A death trap. Ugly, dirty, hateful, evil...

The only trouble after succeeding with Allen Carr is that you:

a) now know how ridiculously easy it is (if, as he demands, you follow all the steps)

b) know what a mug you are.
    Anyway after four years I started going out with a smoker and gave in one night and was back on them again after one measly little dra:mad:

Gave in? What seems to have been the case (at least it was in my case) is that you disobeyed his final instruction.

"Now that you're a happy non-smoker, don't put nicotine back into your body".

The trouble is, perhaps, that his method is so easy, so lacking in need for willpower, that you're lured (over time) into supposing you can play fast and loose with cigarettes

You couldn't play fast and loose the first time you got hooked. Why should it be any different the second/third/nth time?

I'm not with him anymore and I only really smoke now when I'm out drinking or if I'm stressed. But God do I go hell for leather on those occasions. I haven't had any since last Sunday or Monday...

You're a smoker. D'ya remember him dealing with those who try to regulate their smoking?

Reading your posts I think its brilliant that some of you have been brave enough to keep trying again and again. It used to use that story of me giving up for four years. But that was five years ago!

Not bravery. Just desparation being caught up in the smoking trap.

I think its time to have a re-read

I agree. Do it slowly, carefully, thoughtfully. And follow ALL his instructions. And you'll be a happy non-smoker in no time/

Necessity I'm afraid. The reason for wanting to quit the first time is the same as every time. It doesn't alter no matter how many times you fail. Smoking is still and always will be... a mugs game. A death trap. Ugly, dirty, hateful, evil...

The only trouble after succeeding with Allen Carr is that you:

a) now know how ridiculously easy it is (if, as he demands, you follow all the steps)

b) know what a mug you are.

Gave in? What seems to have been the case (at least it was in my case) is that you disobeyed his final instruction.

"Now that you're a happy non-smoker, don't put nicotine back into your body".

The trouble is, perhaps, that his method is so easy, so lacking in need for willpower, that you're lured (over time) into supposing you can play fast and loose with cigarettes

You couldn't play fast and loose the first time you got hooked. Why should it be any different the second/third/nth time?

You're a smoker. D'ya remember him dealing with those who try to regulate their smoking?

Not bravery. Just desparation being caught up in the smoking trap.

I agree. Do it slowly, carefully, thoughtfully. And follow ALL his instructions. And you'll be a happy non-smoker in no time/

lol!! I did a lot of reading after posting this (not Allen Carr this time) and finally admitted I was an addict.

I've also realised that it's not stress that triggers my cravings but infact the opposite - I reward myself with cigarettes when I feel I've achieved something or when I feel I deserve one. Well, at least I did.....

I'm off them over five weeks now :)

I'm feeling really positive this time. I feel just like I felt the last time I gave up long term.

Lets just hope I don't fall in love with a smoker again! :p

dolliemix wrote: »
    lol!! I did a lot of reading after posting this (not Allen Carr this time) and finally admitted I was an addict.

I've also realised that it's not stress that triggers my cravings but infact the opposite - I reward myself with cigarettes when I feel I've achieved something or when I feel I deserve one. Well, at least I did.....

I'm off them over five weeks now :)

I'm feeling really positive this time. I feel just like I felt the last time I gave up long term.

Lets just hope I don't fall in love with a smoker again! :p

So, how you doing now?

So, how you doing now?

I'm doing great now thanks for asking :)

I started the Couch to 5k program that eases you into running with the aim of running 5k at the end of 9 weeks. I've been following that program and I'm on week 5. I started weight watchers last week and I lost 5 pounds my first week.
    But best of all, I haven't smoked one single cigarette nor have I any urges to do so these days. Its been over two months now. I know that I can never ever have another drag again, but in the last two or three weeks I'm not scared about that anymore. I don't feel deprived when I see other people smoking. I've more energy and I'm generally just all-round more positive about life.

Thanks for that bit of advice and encouragement that you gave at such a crucial time -you've probably helped me change my life for the better!!! I've just re read your post and I'll remember to keep everything in mind in the future because I know that even though it seems easy to me now, there will be times that I'll be tested again so it's a life time thing I suppose. Do you still get the odd urge at times three years later?

I'm still staying well away from men smokers!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Another ex-smoker here who found it amazingly easy to stop smoking using the Alan Carr method. I first attended the course about 4 years ago, left after the 6 hour session and didn't smoke for 3 years. Started again after a family berevement. Got a copy of the audio book, and listened to it. Same again, just stopped smoking after listening to the CD. Off them over 6 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Nearing the end of the book now, but I still have a few doubts. I'm guessing certain things haven't "gelled" as AC puts it.

Just a question for those who stopped via EasyWay - did the timing play a part in your success do you think? Carr talks about doing it at a time when stress is at a minimum, but unfortunately my job is pretty chock full of stress at the moment.

Bah, I'm just making excuses, amn't I...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 dekeed

I read Allan Carr - great read but it only served to make me hate smoking even more. A few weeks later I went to a hypnotist in the mill road in corbally and I haven't touched one since. Maybe the Allan Carr book helped - certainly didn't do any harm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 alexcolin

Mainly there are two factors that will determine your success in quitting smoking. They are:
    1. Will
    2. Mindset

At first you must have strong will power to give up your smoking habit and secondly you must learn more about the effects of smoking and its consequences.

There are certain steps you need to follow to quit smoking.
    1.Think about stop smoking
    2.Learn about effects of smoking
    3.Prepare a plan to quit smoking
    4.Find out stop smoking tips
    5.Find out stop smoking aids

If you know the health risks of smoking, then you will be automatically try the above said steps to quit smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Stocking Drinks Whiskey

Ah yes, that book, I remember it, I never got beyond the first few chapters, I think I was scared of quitting...I should probably try to get a hold of that book again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Yester

I haven't smoked for four years thanks to that book.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 fayvirtue

A friend of mine read that book and also quit. I gave it to my younger sister and it did not work because my sister did not have the real desire to quit - you have to really want it for any method to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Hi everyone

I have the Allen Carr 'The only way to stop smoking permanently' book.

I'm currently reading it (albeit quite slowly) but I was just wondering is this book a supplement to previous books or should I be reading the original 'easy way to stop smoking' :confused:

The book I currently have is quite long and can be a bit tedious to read and was just wondering would I be better off with the original book.

Cheers

Advertisement