Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

prosecute them?

Options
  • 23-12-2009 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭

Does anybody agree with me when I say those who brought our country to its knees,I include politicians,regulator,bankers,developers and whoever else.Do not send them to prison but strip every penny from them,sell their property and other assets.A bit like in the old west when rustlers were hung up as a warning to others.It just might work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

in this country you are innocent until proven guilty

if we ignore the above its a slippery slope to hell

anyways strip them of what assets? im sure majority stashed money/assets abroad by now

if these bunch are found guilty (thats even if theres an investigation in first place) then building stone walls on some island out west would be a great punishment :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Count me in on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Two words.

Due Process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

miseeire wrote: »
    Does anybody agree with me when I say those who brought our country to its knees,I include politicians,regulator,bankers,developers and whoever else.Do not send them to prison but strip every penny from them,sell their property and other assets.A bit like in the old west when rustlers were hung up as a warning to others.It just might work.

Yeah, bring back wild west law, hang out those bankers out to dry. While were at it we should get those people who got huge mortgages for overpriced houses, people with big credit card bills, anybody who voted FF etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, there are responsible people out there who are to blame, and in some cases did break the law or regulations. I think though most just did there jobs, built houses, sold mortgages, did there parish pump politics within the bounds of the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 andstony

Just remember what the French did to their oppressors. Set up a guillotine on Collage Green for our new aristocrats. See then how long it takes them to renounce and repent their wrong doings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Does anybody agree with me when I say those who brought our country to its knees,I include politicians,regulator,bankers,developers and whoever else.Do not send them to prison but strip every penny from them,sell their property and other assets.

assuming they've been given due process then all of the above, and then re-house them in St Teresas Gardens in Dublins inner city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

seclachi wrote: »
    Yeah, bring back wild west law, hang out those bankers out to dry. While were at it we should get those people who got huge mortgages for overpriced houses, people with big credit card bills, anybody who voted FF etc etc.

Dont get me wrong, there are responsible people out there who are to blame, and in some cases did break the law or regulations. I think though most just did there jobs, built houses, sold mortgages, did there parish pump politics within the bounds of the law.

+1

i completely agree there were some banks who made bad decisions and developers that fecked up this country but what about the normal everyday joe soap who bought into the big mortgages and so forth which created the property bubble which was just waiting to burst.

I agree we need to ensure the banking crisis never happens again and do this by ensuring the right people make the right decisions in future.

There were many people who got huge mortgages by saying they were earning more than they were.

Let this banking crisis be a kick up the hole for all of us to learn from previous mistakes. Lets stop blaming and try get this economy kickstarted again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

We should strip every penny from them....then put them in prison:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

People who broke the law should be dealt with accordingly.

Bad business decisions...even disastrously bad business decisions are not necessarily in violation of any law.

As for people learning from mistakes...its a great idea. The first thing is for people to understand that they made mistakes. It would be my opinion that most people who have made mistakes which led to the crisis are more concerned in assigning blame to others then in acknowledging and learning from their own errors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

there was an ordinary man sent to prison for having no licence for his pet poodle a few weeks ago , and this crowd walk away scot free AND get bailed out by the taxpayers they ripped off in the first place ! and get to pocket millions , there is one law for the fianna fail croneys and another for the ordinary citizens of this island , personally i think its all sick .

madoff got jailed in the usa and not for 6 months in some holiday camp either , the same should apply here !

if fianna fail somehow manage to buy there way back into power in this country , i will emigrate .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Paulzx

clown bag wrote: »
    and then re-house them in St Teresas Gardens in Dublins inner city.

They'd only lower the tone of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

I agee with Bonkey--bad decisions are not criminal offences.

Any banker will state that at the time they made a business decision which would make money for the bank, making a profit is not a crime neither is making a loss a crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

seclachi wrote: »

Ordinary people didn't ruin the country--bankers did.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

digme wrote: »
    Ordinary people didn't ruin the country--bankers did.
    My view:
    Bankers did what they were allowed to do (by the regulator)
    The regulator failed to do what he should have done due to political interference.
    The politicians caused this. However, the likes of Bertie, and the rest of the FF Mafia are not just to blame. We are supposed to have an opposition to monitor and debate the country. Was the fact that people were being given 100+% loans which were way more than the traditional 2.5 + 1 ever raised in the Dáil?
    Why was the wasteful spending in the likes of FÁS never revealed - was an investigation called for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

Very good points.
    I'm aware of the politicians and their loans. but if a bank gives out 35 times the money they actually have, don't you think that's what ruined us?
    I mean the money they gave to people wasn't even there,it is just a number on the computer.Were we ever a prosperous country?All we did was accumulate debt.
    I hate the banks, i think they should be all blown up, they ruin everything.
    From the moment your born, your ****ed basically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭hiorta

So many folk thought they saw opportunities for increasing their personal worth and dived in headlong.
    The result of greedy thinking is now evident.
    Those who decided they had no need to get caught up in the madness are now reaping the benefit.
    This is perhaps one oif the best opportunities to absorb a basic, but valuable lesson in both economics and in Life: there are NO free lunches, not now, not ever.

No doubt the wee smart thinkers are already seeking to exploit the current situation and in time they will repeat the whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Isn't the whole idea of jailng those responsible for ruining the country purely "pour encourager les autres" and to stop other c**ts doing this to us again in 10 or 15 years time?

We need to find the will to do someone thing first of all. In a proper functioning society white collar criminals actually go to jail when found guilty. How many have here? What? You can't remember? Strange, neither can I.

The causes come in pairs:

For every borrower there must be a lender and for every lender there must be borrowers. No arms were twisted. Folk wanted and got far more than they could comfortably handle, the normal limiting criteria were waived and we see the result.
    As far as 'white collar' criminals going to prison, the justice system should apply equally and fairly to all - if it doesn't it is an injustice system. If this is the case, raise Cain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

The politicians will never allow prosecutions or have a banking enquirey, too much at stake for them. And the people will nver stand up to them it will continue to be rotten at the core.

hiorta wrote: »
    The causes come in pairs:

For every borrower there must be a lender and for every lender there must be borrowers. No arms were twisted. Folk wanted and got far more than they could comfortably handle, the normal limiting criteria were waived and we see the result.
    As far as 'white collar' criminals going to prison, the justice system should apply equally and fairly to all - if it doesn't it is an injustice system. If this is the case, raise Cain.
    Yes but we were supposed to have a regulator who was supposed to regulate the banks!
    What we actually had was a 'regulator' with his head in the sand whilst the banks were willy-nilly giving out loans in the knowledge that should something go tits-up then the government could be called upon to offer help.
    Why did the regulator decide to allow banks to do what they liked? Was the regulator grossly incompetent or was he told by higher powers such as the then Taoiseach to turn a blind eye?

• Advertisement

"""Why did the regulator decide to allow banks to do what they liked?"""

That's the question to which answers should be repeatedly demanded from politicians and media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

Isn't the whole idea of jailng those responsible for ruining the country purely "pour encourager les autres" and to stop other c**ts doing this to us again in 10 or 15 years time?

We need to find the will to do someone thing first of all. In a proper functioning society white collar criminals actually go to jail when found guilty. How many have here? What? You can't remember? Strange, neither can I.

You all know, these people will not go to jail, they are all the people who took or gave brown envelopes in the first place
    you and i would be sent for not paying a tv licence or owing a bank 10.000 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Amigomenor

Bankers and Builders have destroyed the country, just the way it rolls.

baubl wrote: »
    You all know, these people will not go to jail, they are all the people who took or gave brown envelopes in the first place
    you and i would be sent for not paying a tv licence or owing a bank 10.000 euro
    Its a viscous circle. They won't go to jail because we are so used to this country being run by corrupt politicians. We are so used to corrupt leaders because its been like that for so long.
    We really need a change of personnel at the top. IMO, nobody who worked with Charlie should have been allowed to continue they were that polluted from him. Now that the head of the Drumcondra Mafia's colours have been shown to us all, the same belief could be held!

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Podman

+1
    The super rich and powerful will never go to jail or even pay for wrongdoings. Usually a resignation is accepted in the case of Bankers, clergy, politicians or pedophile judges. Then relocated to somewhere leafy, quiet and residential, with a big pension.

Rest assured that if there is another revolution in this country, they will be first up against the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭callig

kbannon wrote: »
    Yes but we were supposed to have a regulator who was supposed to regulate the banks!

OP mentioned the regulator.
    Does anybody agree with me when I say those who brought our country to its knees,I include politicians,regulator,bankers,developers and whoever else the borrowers.

fyp

The truth is borrowers are as much to blame as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

bonkey wrote: »
    People who broke the law should be dealt with accordingly.

Bad business decisions...even disastrously bad business decisions are not necessarily in violation of any law.

As for people learning from mistakes...its a great idea. The first thing is for people to understand that they made mistakes. It would be my opinion that most people who have made mistakes which led to the crisis are more concerned in assigning blame to others then in acknowledging and learning from their own errors.

I agree with you.

They should have been forced to suffer the consequences of those bad business decisions though.

Given that we're willing to risk the country's future to bail out the banks, we're giving them the incentive the **** up again because they know we'll be on the hook for their mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

kbannon wrote: »
    My view:
    Bankers did what they were allowed to do (by the regulator)
    The regulator failed to do what he should have done due to political interference.
    The politicians caused this. However, the likes of Bertie, and the rest of the FF Mafia are not just to blame. We are supposed to have an opposition to monitor and debate the country. Was the fact that people were being given 100+% loans which were way more than the traditional 2.5 + 1 ever raised in the Dáil?
    Why was the wasteful spending in the likes of FÁS never revealed - was an investigation called for?

Wasn't it Shane Ross, independent Senator, that revealed the nonsense going on in FAS ?

I don't see how the opposition are as/more culpable than Fianna Fail in the whole thing. Fianna Fail were the ones with the power to make things happen, it was their leader that was trousering money from businessmen all over the country. And we're seeing lately just how cosy the relationships between the failed insitutions and Fianna Fail is lately with the revelations that FF members were given special treatment when it came to loans. I'd love to see what Lenihan's ties with Anglo are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    ... I'd love to see what Lenihan's ties with Anglo are.

Are there any, or is this baseless innuendo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    . I'd love to see what Lenihan's ties with Anglo are.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out the reasoning of not pushing ahead with an enquirey

Advertisement