Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Eejit Put Traffic Lights On The N2!!!!!

• 23-12-2009 7:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

What thick, un-educated , waste of space ,coffee drinking, flexi timing, civil servant meatball thought it was a good idea to put a set of Traffic lights on the N2 a couple of miles north of Ashbourne just past Coolfore. ( I think its called Primatestown ) . This is a national primary route with traffic coming off the M2 straight on to it , there is no good reason for traffic lights. Unless that is you want to start a 15 minute traffic jam and cause an accident for someone to run into the back of a van then its a great success because thats exactly what happened this evening. Who ever you are you're bringing a national primary route ( bloody busy one at that ) to a standstill for the sake of a few rat- runners who sneak out there in the evenings. Would it not have been a better plan to fix the bloody road or to shut the rat run. Anyway rant over and you're still a d!ckhead. :mad::p:D

Putting Traffic Lights On The N2 Is The Work Of a Meatball And Should Be Dealt With B 13 votes

Hanging
    0% 0 votes
    Burned To Death
    100% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Local councillor Joe Bonner claimed credit for them in his newsletter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Those lights have been there for ages, looks like they're finally turned on. I'd say they're a disaster!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Saab Ed wrote: »
    What thick, un-educated , waste of space ,coffee drinking, flexi timing, civil servant meatball thought it was a good idea to put a set of Traffic lights on the N2 a couple of miles north of Ashbourne just past Coolfore. ( I think its called Primatestown ) . This is a national primary route with traffic coming off the M2 straight on to it , there is no good reason for traffic lights. Unless that is you want to start a 15 minute traffic jam and cause an accident for someone to run into the back of a van then its a great success because thats exactly what happened this evening. Who ever you are you're bringing a national primary route ( bloody busy one at that ) to a standstill for the sake of a few rat- runners who sneak out there in the evenings. Would it not have been a better plan to fix the bloody road or to shut the rat run. Anyway rant over and you're still a d!ckhead. :mad::p:D

it wasnt a public service worker that put them there, it would of been a local councillor that decided that they need to go there due to one of many possibe reasons such as locals complaining about speeding, lack of acessable crossing or if its a dangerous crossroad or similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

furtzy wrote: »
    Local councillor Joe Bonner claimed credit for them in his newsletter

that would be bonner alright, may even take the credit if he had nothing to do with it.

A real champion of the people wanna be with nothing to offer except empty promises !!

For the cost of those lights, they could have made wider junctions from either side to allow traffic to sort of merge with the N2, much safer than was there originally ... but you can't take any sort of hero status for just altering a junction ... lights will give you headlines !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭NLane

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Unless that is you want to start a 15 minute traffic jam and cause an accident for someone to run into the back of a van then its a great success because thats exactly what happened this evening.

Did this happen to you??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

It's a pretty dangerous junction - I've seen three crashes there in the last two years personally.

They just need to time the lights a bit better to prevent a tailback to Ashbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

NLane wrote: »
    Did this happen to you??

Only the traffic jam bit bit thank God. Its a crazy junction now, tail backs in all directions and people slaming on everywhere. These lights are only gonna cause chaos .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The same type of traffic planners that thought it's a good idea to replace the Well Park roundabout in Galway with Traffic Lights just before the Volvo Ocean Race week and caused disaster.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

It's so stupid - that R-road is seen as important because it links the N2 and N3 via Curragha and Ratoath but it's not! As a previous poster said, it's just a rat run!

But it's nothing new for Meath County Council - they're allergic to any other solution to junctions other than traffic lights. Ashbourne, for example, would be far better served with a few roundabouts in the town. Instead, we have FIVE sets of lights from Deerpark to the Ballybin Road - the roundabout on Ned Nulty's Lane/Castle St is Meath County Council's first one in Ashbourne (the NRA built the ones at the Nine Mile Stone and the Marriott).

The annoying thing is I'd imagine Fingal County Council would make a better job of that junction - and Fingal is only a couple of hundred metres from it as there's a small stretch of the N2 between the Curragha turn-off and this junction where the Fingal-Meath border crosses the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I'd started using that way to get home and would have been hitting that junction smack bang in the middle of the evening rush hour.

Even in evening rush hour there was hardly that much traffic turning across the road, and the traffic merging did so without any major issues. It could get a bit jammed somedays, but nothing as bad as I'm hearing now.

• Advertisement

JayeL wrote: »
    It's so stupid - that R-road is seen as important because it links the N2 and N3 via Curragha and Ratoath but it's not! As a previous poster said, it's just a rat run!

But it's nothing new for Meath County Council - they're allergic to any other solution to junctions other than traffic lights. Ashbourne, for example, would be far better served with a few roundabouts in the town. Instead, we have FIVE sets of lights from Deerpark to the Ballybin Road - the roundabout on Ned Nulty's Lane/Castle St is Meath County Council's first one in Ashbourne (the NRA built the ones at the Nine Mile Stone and the Marriott).

The annoying thing is I'd imagine Fingal County Council would make a better job of that junction - and Fingal is only a couple of hundred metres from it as there's a small stretch of the N2 between the Curragha turn-off and this junction where the Fingal-Meath border crosses the road.
    That must be the most pointless roundabout in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not half as much of an eejit compared to the person who thought it would be fine that a national road was one way only (Slane bridge). A one way national road! Only in Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

May I refer you all to Ballysimon Junction on the the N24/M7 interchange. COMPLETE disaster. But the lights were necessary (to a point) but there are now 9 (IIRC) sets of lights on this junction.

MADNESS.

The lights at both entrances to UL cause chaos on campus from 4:45 to 5:45 every day also. If it's not broke DON'T FIX IT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

ninty9er wrote: »
    The lights at both entrances to UL cause chaos on campus from 4:45 to 5:45 every day also. If it's not broke DON'T FIX IT.
    Oh hardly chaos. Some severe delay and inconvenience for people driving or taking the bus certainly but nothing goes on fire and people know where their towels are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sceptre wrote: »
    Oh hardly chaos. Some severe delay and inconvenience for people driving or taking the bus certainly but nothing goes on fire and people know where their towels are.
    Okay, traffic chaos. Taking almost 2 hours to get from Health Science to the Castletroy Park is hardly normal when it would take less than 5 minutes at 7am.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

kceire wrote: »
    it wasnt a public service worker that put them there, it would of been a local councillor that decided that they need to go there due to one of many possibe reasons such as locals complaining about speeding, lack of acessable crossing or if its a dangerous crossroad or similar!
    Public servant, civil servant whats the difference? Job security and guranteed pensions paid for with excessive bench marking and private sector entrepreneurship.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pfy2k

I use the N2 to go to Navan via Kentstown, because of the shame that is the N3. So I think its Meath Co. Council's new system to delay and annoy motorists, and force them to use the new M3 toll motorway. When it opens, or Ulster bound shoppers to use the M1, instead of driving to Ulster via Slane!

Bugnug wrote: »
    Public servant, civil servant whats the difference? Job security and guranteed pensions paid for with excessive bench marking and private sector entrepreneurship.

It's completely off topic, and if Joe Bonner was responsible he's an independent TD who doesn't have a job for life. Whatever difference that makes!

Isn't there a speed camera near these lights? Burned out last time I saw it though. It's on the left on the way to Ashbourne, doube it ever worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I had to come that way a few evenings from work last week between 6:30 and 7:00 and it was fine with the lights, no more of a delay than there normally would be there.

That said I still dont really see the point in the lights

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wclarke20

If I ever come across the eejit that gave the ok to put up those lights, I’d make sure he the got the treatment deserved to him as voted in the poll.

Do these people ever use this road during peak times?
    I bet they don’t. Sometimes I think they do stuff like this to purposely p!ss people off.

I might go up there tonight in the JCB and rip them down. Power to the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I agree, those traffic lights are a disaster. Started just before Christmas. Added at least an extra 10 minutes to my journey in the evenings (mornings don't seem too bad. This morning was a joke but I think thats mostly down to the weather with more people using the main roads).

Pointless place for lights. Lights at Kilmoon Cross less than a mile down the road where loads of people from Drogheda join the N2 would have been a much better idea

They should have put better slip roads onto the N2 at Kilmoon and Fairyhouse and widen the road with better road markings and lanes. That would have made sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Since Joe is claiming credit for it why not mail him with your disgust

jbonner@members.meathcoco.ie

thanks - was looking for his website to leave my opinion

Yup thanks for that. And it seems we are not alone....

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/meatheast/articles/2009/12/23/3993689-n2-junction-lights-cause-major-delays-for-commuters/

but low and behold the man might be taking the credit but he didnt bother saying anything about it here ( last paragraph on P4 )...

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Meetings/ElectoralAreaMeetings/DunshaughlinElectoralAreaMeetings/DunshaughlinElectoralAreaMeetings2008/File,33897,en.doc

Meatballs are what they are :(

that money could have been used to buy some grit for the roads since they ran out of funds for it!

Just sent. I cant wait to hear the response :D

Dear Joe.

I'm writing to you with regard to a set of traffic lights which were recently activated at what I believe is called Primatestown Cross on the N2. The reason I'm writing to you is because you were taking credit for them in a recent local news letter (Although I can't seem to find where abouts you made any sort of representations with regards to the matter! http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/Meetings/ElectoralAreaMeetings/DunshaughlinElectoralAreaMeetings/DunshaughlinElectoralAreaMeetings2008/File,33897,en.doc )so I think its only fair that you take the complaints as well. To construct a set of traffic lights on a National primary route for the benefit of some rat-runners beggars belief, a National route that is no less than 3 miles from the point where it becomes a Motorway. Only in Ireland could such a solution be found. In the short time that its been there I've personally seen one accident , heard of countless others from various other people who use the road on a regular basis and had to sit in a 10 minute traffic jam for my sins as well. Anyway it seems not too much thought has gone into it given the reaction from both the public and other members of the council ...
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/meatheast/articles/2009/12/23/3993689-n2-junction-lights-cause-major-delays-for-commuters/ . It was clear to even the dogs on the street that these lights were going to cause delays and accidents so how in hell you guys couldn't figure it out after no doubt spending small fortunes on impact studies and the like is beyond me. I would ask that these lights be switched off immediately so that me and thousands others dont get to sit in an un-necessary traffic jam daily and that a proper solution is found to the traffic problem in the area rather than this hap- hazrad , parish politics style answer we got from un-qualified local Representatives. If any of the above information is in-correct then I look forward to your response in pointing out the descrepincies.

Thanking You.

Well done! I sent a similar letter. Hope he responds but I doubt he will. Hopefully people will remember this when he's looking for votes in the next election!

PS - mod- Similar thread going on here....

http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055786776

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭goldenwonder

dont forget about the lights in ashbourne. how many people got stuck trying to cross the main road from dunnes to super valu cause of that you have to be in the right lane to turn left. well done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

dont forget about the lights in ashbourne. how many people got stuck trying to cross the main road from dunnes to super valu cause of that you have to be in the right lane to turn left. well done.
    Do deloreans with flux capacitors have to stop at the lights too? Or do they just go back in time to when the light was green?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement