Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 pistol application

Options
  • 23-12-2009 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Hi all,
    I dont mean to ask silly questions but can anyone tell me the story with getting a 22 pistol for target shooting if i was a member of a gun range and all ready held three fire arm certs? Are supers licensing this pistol or is the same story as centerfire pistols?
    Thanks in advance for help.. ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

To the best of my knowledge, supers are still accepting applications for .22 pistols. The usual regulations apply, membership of a range, type of pistol, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Boyle243

thanks i should have a chat with my local FO and see his opinion on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

There's a number of different things associated with pistol applications. The main one being - the .22 that you are looking for - what is it/is it on the guidelines list? Once you pass that obstacle - then the others will come into play!

guidelines list? im thinking the sig mosquitto how would that work for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Forget it :eek:

• Advertisement

Forget it :eek:[/QUOTE]

Why? What type would suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

first off a sig mosquito is basically junk , they were everywhere when they came out first and then the problems started showing up , failing to feed etc , they are fine as plinkers but little else , and also i don't think they are on "the list" of approved .22 pistols , and you'd be better off saving your money and buying something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

This is the non-restricted list as per the commissioneers guidelines.
    Pick one of these or take your chances.

See Annex F on link below

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Commissioner's%20Guidelines%20-%2022.10.09.pdf

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

This is the non-restricted list as per the commissioneers guidelines.
    Pick one of these or and take your chances.

See Annex F on link below

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Commissioner's%20Guidelines%20-%2022.10.09.pdf

Be under no illusion things are far from sorted even with a non-restricted pistol :eek:

Has anybody any thoughts on the Walther P22 Target ?

• Advertisement

ick!

If you're serious about taking up target pistol - the best thing you can do is go to a range and talk to the people using their gear and ask them what they think are the pro's and con's of each piece.

You'll get to see the item in use which is better than just word of mouth.

Would you consider air pistol before .22 first?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

The P22 has not endeared itself either. Never had one but have shot them a few times.

I know they are a nice looking pistol but beyond that, according to a few I know that had them, they also tended to jam a lot and were not the most accurate of guns.

Not sure you would stand a good chance of getting one anyway in the current climate.

might consider air gun but not really a big fan of them especially seeing as i already have 3 real guns!!!:D
    think i will have a chat with some of the guys on the local range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i had a walther p22 it would jam 1 in 3 even clean .but a lovely little pistol,

also had a sig mosquito, it would recycle most ammo in high velocity but not standard. i broke the safety using high velocity ammo.

Boyle243 wrote: »
    might consider air gun but not really a big fan of them especially seeing as i already have 3 real guns!!!:D
    think i will have a chat with some of the guys on the local range

LOL careful there with that "real gun" thing - some of the air lads would whup ur ass on the range with them un-real things! :D

Good plan - take a spin to the range and start talking before you spend any money on anything real or otherwise! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Do check out some stuff at the range. Apart from anything else, everyone's hands \ grip etc. are different so what suits someone else might not suit you. It's good to do the feel test, (and not just with guns) :D

Also, check out the OK list on the Guidelines. Smith & Wesson are on it and they make good .22s and I've never heard anything much bad about them.

Try this link for the 22A

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

think the best beginners pistols that are on the list are the ruger mk 1/2/3 , and the hammerli xesse , i have seen these pistols in constant use on the range and are a much more workmanlike article than the likes of the p22 and mosquito, which are basically built as plinkers , if i was going for a match type pistol and had a limited budget , i'd go for the baikals .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rowa wrote: »
    first off a sig mosquito is basically junk , they were everywhere when they came out first and then the problems started showing up , failing to feed etc , they are fine as plinkers but little else ..........

Have to agree with you, but only from an observational position. Every lad i've seen with them has had feeding problems, jamming, misfires. They seem to be a very cantankerous piece of equipment, which is surprising as i have a few Sigs (pistol, rifles) and have never had any issues with them. Guess i expected more from such a recognised company.

PS - Sorry if this offends any Sig Mosquito owners, was not intended.:)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I had the Mk 2 - lovely piece - but a bit heavy and not very well balanced - couldn't fault it for accuracy tho and never jammed, tho she was fed the best ammo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

For a new applicant it has to be on the list, nothing else will be considered unless you manage to get it on the list or it complies with 2(e) of SI21/337 and it'll probably still want to be on the list.

So the list then :D

Apart that is from air pistols and .22 single shot pistols.

And take your 'real guns' comment and stick it where the sun don't shine. :p

You will learn more and have more time to learn 'real' pistol shooting with an air pistol. It gives you the time to learn all the basics and everything else about pistol shooting before you start using things that go 'bang'.

I'm talking about being competetive here, not about letting fly in all directions and having a 'blast'. We've had too many people in the pistol shooting game who 'just wanted one' to be in any way favourably disposed in that direction for the future.

Too much sh1t resulted from that exercise and it's still going on.

So excuse my bluntness and have a happy Christmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I used to own a Mosquito up to 2 weeks ago until the Gardai decided that I should'nt. It is the greatest pile of Sh#te I have ever used. I mean constant jamming no matter what ammunition I used. I also used to own a Sig Pro 9mm until the same Gardai.........

Anyway I have asked Santa to bring me a new C.S. and a Surprise. I have a feeling I'll be geeting that surprise in the D.C. in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Had a mosquito for years and never ever had a jam or a misfire, gone now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyway I have asked Santa to bring me a new C.S. and a Surprise. I have a feeling I'll be geeting that surprise in the D.C. in January.

OH he brought us one allright Knockon!!!Unfortunatly it was the BAD Santa who did!:(.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jwshooter wrote: »
    i had a walther p22 it would jam 1 in 3 even clean .but a lovely little pistol,
    No, it's not. It's one of the worst ever made. Even when in fully working condition, it's ridiculously inaccurate. Not to mention its rather interesting failure modes:

WALTHERP22slidestopCRACK.jpg

brokenWALTHERslide732.jpg

And it's not just at that point in the slide; there's a report of a shooter in 2007 whose P22 slide seperated completely and came back off the gun and hit him in the face. That was after less than 500 rounds through the pistol, of ordinary winchester .22 subs.

016.jpg

So no, it's not a good pistol. At all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Those cheap pistols are all results of someone in the airsoft / replica business modifying their designs to fire .22lr. It shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm pretty sure the P22 was the P99 down-scaled, to be honest. They just did an incredibly shoddy job of it. In fact, I think they don't even repair it under warranty anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

Had a mosquito for years and never ever had a jam or a misfire, gone now

What kind of ammo were you using as a matter of inerest? It's purely interest as I don't have it anymore.

Sparks wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the P22 was the P99 down-scaled, to be honest.

Only in terms of styling. Materials used etc would have a lot more in common with an airsoft or replica.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Dear God!!:eek::eek::eek:
    Looking at those pics,I couldnt understand how Walther of all gun companies would put their names to that kind of POS!
    But seeing that everyone is cashing in on airsoft and blank firers with brand names slapped on them,Civs theory mightnt be too far off the mark.
    However how they got this crap thru the Beschuss amt [proof house] in Ulm is beyond me.As they dont just test fire the guns.They drop test and abuse them for saftey tests.
    Sparks,just for a pig iron point.Do you know if any of those guns in the pics had current German proof marks?Usually on the P99 it is on the barrel chamber.By German law they must have those to be safe and saleable.

On another point.Re .22 pistols.Is the" Olympic standard" list the be all and absolutely ONLY selection you can choose from.I've been offered a High Standard Mil Citation or Victor,which despite the mag capacity fit the bill of Olympic standard[albeit pretty dated].If not how do you get it onto the list or talk to whom??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Umarex own Walther (and Hammerli, God forbid) and they have a whole heap of licences to make replicas / airsoft / blankfirers from other manufacturers.

Names don't mean what they used to.

Advertisement