Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wonky Ceiling

• 23-12-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Slight problem with the ceiling in my living room, the tape and skim has come away from the plasterboard, and I'm no plasterer. Is there an easy material and method for fixing it, or would I be better off just getting a plasterer in? If the latter, what am I looking at? It's about 3-4 feet across, maybe 6 inches wide.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hello Jesus,

For a DIY Solution,

Tape this to the ceiling first. That tape is used at joints on the plasterboard (its self adhesive scrim tape)

scrim.jpg

Then use this

SA02131-40.jpg

Have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

i think there is supposed to be a light layer of jointing compound over tape

cork1 wrote: »
    i think there is supposed to be a light layer of jointing compound over tape

This stuff is type of compound like Lafarge joint filler and finisher that also comes in a bucket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Thanks lads. So do I need this stuff too or does the Fill and Skim cover it?

Thanks lads. So do I need this stuff too or does the Fill and Skim cover it?

No, the fill and skim will do fine.

If it were me, id put up the tape, put in the joint filler and then the next day id skim it, but unless you know a plasterer that would do that for you as a cheap favour its going to maybe cost you over 100 quid, mind you there are alot of unemployed plasterers out there now so you might be able to get it done cheap.

The fill and skim is a DIY option that you could do and have it all fixed and sorted for about 40 quid.

May not be quite as seamless a finish as the professional way but a job like this is only as good as the chap doing it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

snyper wrote: »
    This stuff is type of compound like Lafarge joint filler and finisher that also comes in a bucket.

sounds good! ive used something similar i think cant remember the name of it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

No, the fill and skim will do fine.

If it were me, id put up the tape, put in the joint filler and then the next day id skim it, but unless you know a plasterer that would do that for you as a cheap favour its going to maybe cost you over 100 quid, mind you there are alot of unemployed plasterers out there now so you might be able to get it done cheap.

The fill and skim is a DIY option that you could do and have it all fixed and sorted for about 40 quid.

May not be quite as seamless a finish as the professional way but a job like this is only as good as the chap doing it

Could stipple the entire ceiling like they did in the old days, covers up all kinds of bad patches on ceilings, fairly easy done compared to plastering.

Plastering is a fine art, I've tried them all from building, tiling, carpentry and everything else, can manage them all except for plastering.

Ceiling might end up even worse if not done right.

items wrote: »
    Could stipple the entire ceiling like they did in the old days, covers up all kinds of bad patches on ceilings, fairly easy done compared to plastering.

Plastering is a fine art, I've tried them all from building, tiling, carpentry and everything else, can manage them all except for plastering.

Ceiling might end up even worse if not done right.

Stipple in my opinion is horrible, but peoples tastes differ of course.

Calling "fill and skim" plastering is a bit of a stretch :D, yes i agree plastering is probably the single most difficult of the trades to do if you've never had any experience with it, however the fill and skim doesnt dry "go off" like skim does (as quick) so it gives the user more time to get it right, added to the fact its not an entire ceiling that needs to be done here, ony a small patch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Stipple in my opinion is horrible, but peoples tastes differ of course.

Calling "fill and skim" plastering is a bit of a stretch :D, yes i agree plastering is probably the single most difficult of the trades to do if you've never had any experience with it, however the fill and skim doesnt dry "go off" like skim does (as quick) so it gives the user more time to get it right, added to the fact its not an entire ceiling that needs to be done here, ony a small patch

Never mind stipple, not so long ago I witnessed something I aint seen in years, those sea shell type waves/semi circle on ceiling, in every room. Must be making a come back.

Ever see someone doing a small patch up, someone who's never patched up before? Ends up a lot bigger than intended sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Jesus Christ

Think I might just go for the plasterer, I've tried it before and I know damned well I'm terrible at it. :)

Thanks for the help everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement