Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Christmas Eve Dinner

Options
  • 23-12-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭

Having a few people over for dinner on Christmas eve. Anyone any ideas what to serve. I'm thinking something festive but obviously can't be turkey or ham! 3 fairly simple courses as my kitchen skills aren't brilliant!

Any ideas appreciated! Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

you could do a starter of sushi or smoked salmon roulade? (lay out layers of salmon, spread with cream cheese, add pepper/chives if wanted, roll up and slice into rounds)....or a roasted beetroot, goats cheese and cherry tomatoe salad (roast beetroot with balsamic vinegar, mix with above)

main could be duck/lamb/goose or a good quiche with roast potatoes see previous threads for potatoes or a curry (easy to make overnight - try maybe a roast squash and chickpea curry, or spinach and chickpea etc)

dessert could be cheesecake, cheese board, chocolate mousse, sorbet, ice cream,

just a few ideas to start, i'm sure others will have better ideas!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i would go for something that isnt festive like a curry or may be just tapas, loads a different cold meats, dips, oils, specialty breads, olives, cheese etc. and just let everyone help themselves hmmmmmm, actually that lovely :o

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Call me crazy, but I'm thinking BBQ! Kinda like the exact opposite of Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭rcarroll

crazy but it might work - it's cold, but rain is holding off...

most butchers do great chicken wings for 3 quid, far cheaper than tescos and tastier, i made my own but tbh the bought ones are better

here's a marinade for chicken - lemon juice, garlic, coriandor (leave to soak 3-6hrs yum) u can use for fish to make ceviche, add sliced onions and dont cook just leave till it goes white.

burritos are always good, loaded nachos, stuffed peppers (buy the breaded ones in lidl/aldi so yummy little spicy) cheesey loaded potatoe skins and sour cream etc - easy to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I'm a big fan of a winter BBQ - and there's not cleaning up after either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Bar-be-que it is so!

Got some chicken wings for starters and some nice lamb marinating at the moment to make lamb kebabs for mains. The butcher was giving me some funny looks this morning when I asked for the wings and to bone a shank of lamb as everybody else was collecting turkeys and hams!

Cheated a little and bought a "homemade" yule log from the local deli for desert though!

Advertisement